Guest viewing is limited

Visa as freelancer / setting up a business

Last time I checked that area even the serviced offices charged like 70.000 yens for one person rooms.

You are correct @MikeH, I had a ServCorp office and it was 300,000JPY/month... communications (phone, internet was 75,000JPY) :eek:

I am hoping to locate as 1R place and just use it as an office, even if landlord thinks I'm living there :)

Reactions: MikeH

No need to start using that kind of language here! :p

am hoping to locate as 1R place and just use it as an office, even if landlord thinks I'm living there :)

I thought that wouldn't qualify as an office for the immigration people?

Reactions: BB0523
Gent's... I'll throw in my 2 Yen....

I currently just set up a "Branch Office" in Tokyo... got documents 2 weeks ago.

Thank you kind sir. You don't need an able bodied office sweeper and all round tea maker ? Will work for Visa sponsorship :)

That will not work, sorry to say.. It's not a matter of how much money you are earning from outside of Japan. The rules are very, very strict for getting a visa here. No local employer/sponsor, no working visa. Not sure what your skills are, but you could look at the recruitment agencies, like Robert Walters, who find work for foreigners in Japan, and in some cases you don't need to know how to speak Japanese. If you have a Japan based company sponsor, it's much easier. And at this moment, due to the Covid-19 crisis, the immigration offices are overwhelmed...... automatic extensions to working visas have been provided for those who have visas expiring in this period. I'm one of them.... and have a visa law office handling my renewal at this moment. Or you could think about enrolling in a Japanese language school, and get a work/study visa, which would allow you to spend a limited time in Japan, while you still work remote. Then you have time to explore other work possibilities.... Maintaining official visa status here means you have to show that you are paying national income tax, your local residence tax, national health insurance etc. It's super complicated when you are self employed. Hope this gives you another perspective....

I was just researching the Japanese language school option ( I am presently receiving lessons locally from a Japanese expat) - definitely something I would consider as mastering the language will definitely increase my chances - having had chats some company reps from (NEC, Yamato and SMBC) during my last visit.

Thank you kind sir. You don't need an able bodied office sweeper and all round tea maker ? Will work for Visa sponsorship :)

Are you a cute spinner with E-cups? :p

The employer needs to take care of all the side costs for employing someone as well as showing you have a decent salary. It would be cheaper to get a citizen to marry you. :D

Are you a cute spinner with E-cups? :p

The employer needs to take care of all the side costs for employing someone as well as showing you have a decent salary. It would be cheaper to get a citizen to marry you. :D

Sadly no E-cups :notworthy:, but I can arrange for individuals (or fund (y) the services for such an individual) that can provide these services once a month to ensure that I pay for my keep.

The employer side-costs will be paid to the employer of course, via my super secret account :D to allow for the semblance of propriety.

Gent's... I'll throw in my 2 Yen....

I currently just set up a "Branch Office" in Tokyo... got documents 2 weeks ago. This is a little different than what you are discussing, but will have many similarities. To get Business Manager Visa, you will need to have the following (Generally speaking):
1. 5 million yen deposited into a Japanese Bank (On-line bank will work according to my attorney).
2. Mizuho has english on line capabilities but they want to charge 70,000JPY for application fee and 20,000JPY/month for maintenance fee - way too much if you ask me.
3. Rented Office space - ServCorp or Regus type places do not count anymore it seems. (I used to have that) They want a copy of the office space contract as well a photo's of the place.
I'm in the process of locating a bank and office space (target location is Nakameguro, Ebisu area) Target rental amount 50,000/month with little deposit or key money etc... seems like a Unicorn at times.
4. You will most likely only get a 1 year VISA under this method, but after 3 years of business MOJ may give you a 3 year VISA... As for Long Term or Permanent.... not sure how to do that (outside of getting married to a Japanese)

The reason I say this, is that if you have a business already established elsewhere (USA for example) then setting up Tokyo Branch could be an option. Lawyer will charge about 500,000JPY for setting it up and another 250,000 for VISA assuming you can meet the deposit amount and bank office space.

If, anyone knows of a low cost office space (not shared) or SOHO type, would appreciate a PM with details, or of a reasonably priced service to do this.

Hope this helps and thanks in advance for anyone that gives me advice/comments..

Thanks a lot for the rundown. Just one little question. Do you have to pay the rent separately in advance or is it paid out of the company's deposit?
Good to know that that the overall costs can pile up to quite a bit because besides the deposit there are a lot of additional costs. I am still super unsure what to do. To finance all of this i would have to liquefy most of my assets and commit it towards setting up a company.
Maybe I'll look for a regular job instead....would also be beneficial for my language skills to have Japanese coworkers instead of being on my own. Tough decision :shy:

Maybe I'll look for a regular job instead....
It will be the best. Japan is not easy for a foreigner without contacts establishing a business. There are wonderful people, but also a small percentage who are willing to screw up your venture. Not because you’re foreigner, just because they do with everybody.

It will be the best. Japan is not easy for a foreigner without contacts establishing a business. There are wonderful people, but also a small percentage who are willing to screw up your venture. Not because you’re foreigner, just because they do with everybody.
That wouldn't be an issue because I already have my clients, it's really only about the change of location.....

Reactions: Joe2017
That wouldn't be an issue because I already have my clients, it's really only about the change of location.....
Then go with the company! Entrepreneurs are welcome here!

Thanks a lot for the rundown. Just one little question. Do you have to pay the rent separately in advance or is it paid out of the company's deposit?
Good to know that that the overall costs can pile up to quite a bit because besides the deposit there are a lot of additional costs. I am still super unsure what to do. To finance all of this i would have to liquefy most of my assets and commit it towards setting up a company.
Maybe I'll look for a regular job instead....would also be beneficial for my language skills to have Japanese coworkers instead of being on my own. Tough decision :shy:

My understanding is that once you have the 5,000,000JPY deposited in the account, it does not have to stay there (after you get your VISA).
Regarding your question about Rent - it depends on where you rent... assume typical Japanese style (Deposit, Key Money, Agent Fee, Insurance, guarantor fee) This depends on what kind of office space you can locate.

Hope it helps..

Reactions: TAG Manager