Visiting college campuses

AMcguyver

Here for the entertainment value...
Reaction score
Was thinking of visiting a few college campuses on our next trip to Tokyo like Todai, Waseda, etc. (Not to attend in the future, just to check them out and see how different they are from campuses in the US.)

Does anyone know if you need to go through security to visit the colleges in Japan? Here in Hawaii, pretty much anyone can just walk onto the campuses and check them out, even eat in the cafeterias. Was wondering if it's the same case in Japan or if they are more strict.

Also any suggestions on interesting campuses/college towns to visit?

Some campuses in Japan close late at night, like at midnight or maybe even as early as 10pm or so. Typically they lock all the gates but one and have some security guy at the remaining one checking IDs. At least that was the case years back, but it wouldn't matter anyway for the OP's purposes since there would be little or nothing to see/learn when they are closed down.

@aspidistra's tip on college cafeterias being a bargain for OK (not better than that and sometimes worse) food is an excellent one. Portions are big too, as appropriate to feeding the youthful appetites of the students.

-Ww

Last edited:
I used to work next to Aoyama Gakuin University a number of years back, and most of my coworkers used to grab lunch at the university cafeteria. A few hundred yen would net you a pretty seriously hefty lunch, or dinner if you were working late.

I took the Japanese Profiency exam at Todai university. But that was held on a Sunday so most of the buildings were locked. Anyway, there wasn't any security to stop people walking around the campus.

The Japanese Profiency exam is held next month, there will be hundreds of foreigners there so you can blend easily then.

Anyway, I can't imagine security being significant on regular class days either. Have you check when the university summer vacations start?

Reactions: Yuriko
Doshisha in Kyoto has a really nice campus and a great cafeteria.

Most colleges close their campuses and have elaborate security on the days that their entrance exams are given, but it would be bad luck to hit one of those days. And in any case, the atmosphere on campus during those exams is so filled with adolescent tension that no sane person would want to experience it.

-Ww

Waseda is pretty open ... used to osanpo (w/ a photo club group) thru the grounds before.

too bad Showa Joshidaigaku has a prominent please pin your ID (or something similar) in English last time I walked past it.

College cafeterias in Japan are some of the best places to get reasonably priced eats.

Well, i was a foreign student here long ago and I hope they improved quality-wise! (But true, very cheap indeed)

Reactions: MikeH
Since I met you for modelling session last year, wow,,,last year, already!! I'm pretty much happy to take you to a music college in Ikebukuro, where I graduated from, if you'd like! You may be able to listen students practicing instruments!! Could be fun! But, if you start taking photos of students by your professional camera, security guard might stop you, though(。・ω・。)!!!