Guest viewing is limited

What about La bise (greeting kisses on cheeks) in Japanese office scenes?

Latins shall not be mistaken with Latino. Latins are an Italian tribe whereas Latina & Latino are South Americans :) The areas where the Roman Empire had reached are usually referred as “latin” as well.

Some former Latin countries colonized South America, therefore those countries are addressed as “Latin America”

View attachment 8432

confusing...
I thought of South Americans, more of Latins Euros...

Reactions: Simonka
Latins shall not be mistaken with Latino. Latins are an Italian tribe whereas Latina & Latino are South Americans :) The areas where the Roman Empire had reached are usually referred as “latin” as well.

Some former Latin countries colonized South America, therefore those countries are addressed as “Latin America”

View attachment 8432
I imagined by his user name as South Americas.
Also Japanese word "Laten kei". Confusing...

I imagined by his user name as South Americas.
Also Japanese word "Laten kei". Confusing...

European, Western Asian: Latin
Central / South American: Latin American (Latino for men and Latina for ladies)

..or you can just check their butt :D

Latins shall not be mistaken with Latino. Latins are an Italian tribe whereas Latina & Latino are Central or South Americans :) The areas where the Roman Empire had reached are usually referred as “latin” as well.

Some former Latin countries colonized Central and South America, therefore those countries are addressed as “Latin America”

View attachment 8432

Ah, this explains why Caesar executed so many football commentators as enemy spies.

Reactions: Simonka
in canada we hug for greetings and goodbyes if in an office setting and its special circumstances like long time no see or if someones going away for a while

outside of the office friends kiss on cheek if close

Reactions: Yuriko and Simonka
in canada we hug for greetings and goodbyes if in an office setting and its special circumstances like long time no see or if someones going away for a while

outside of the office friends kiss on cheek if close

That's so nice...I should move to Canada oneday!lol.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Latins shall not be mistaken with Latino. Latins are an Italian tribe whereas Latina & Latino are Central or South Americans :) The areas where the Roman Empire had reached are usually referred as “latin” as well.

Some former Latin countries colonized Central and South America, therefore those countries are addressed as “Latin America”

View attachment 8432

South america here, argentina

View attachment 8432
Cut the dude some slack. English is obviously not his first language because he is LatinO. But noooooo, you just have to use this as an opportunity to educate him and everyone else, including a little map, on something that we already fucking know. Aren’t you so smart and worldly? That’s why you are a professor of Horseshit Studies and other Nonsense at the University of Condescension. Ph fucking D.

Maybe quietly "acceptance" is a peaceful solution in many ways. Also, we learn in the office scene of, "Don't jump into conclusion" is also something adaptable in many ways, perhaps...

Maybe quietly "acceptance" is a peaceful solution in many ways.

But where is the fun in that?

Coming back to the subject, after all you misfits are trying to derail it; just say no to cheek kisses at office. If you want kisses at office, or blowjobs or whatever, go to some uncivilised country like France and live there with cheap red wine and mould goat cheese. We do not need any of that here, we live in a society.

But where is the fun in that?

Coming back to the subject, after all you misfits are trying to derail it; just say no to cheek kisses at office. If you want kisses at office, or blowjobs or whatever, go to some uncivilised country like France and live there with cheap red wine and mould goat cheese. We do not need any of that here, we live in a society.
I agree except the part about the goat cheese.

Back in my country kisses and hugs with with friends is normal, as to have some friends at your job too, but here I never saw it.

Reactions: Yuriko
In Japan, Kissing is for couples and we don't have greeting culture, that we don't get it from Euro managers, staffs on a daily basis.

But, I saw a Hong Kong lady when in Tokyo, received from Euro managers. So, I guess in Hong Kong it's acceptable in the office.

If you do that in Japan, other employees might think, "are they that close?" kind of thought. We are more globalized sophisticated, that people who work for foreign companies, they wouldn't take a second thought, but maybe for Japanese companies, they may do.

I received la bis from my ex colleague in Paris earlier this year, and thought it's nice making such kissing noise to each cheeks, but I wasn't satisfied, as much as giving hugs. I find hugs give more touching feelings.

I wish I receive la bis in the office...
or accidental third with a real kiss on my lips! lol.
I love kissing on cheecks, with such noise! I make quite a bit, when on lips, as well as on cheeks! Yummy!

For Western guys, esp. French guys, do you do that,
when you have Western managers in town? Were you sad, when noticed we don't have this culture in Japan?
I'm curious. (^^)

Dear Yuriko,

I have lived most of my life in Latin American countries and Latin Communities in the USA. I have to tell you that kissing on the cheeks is pretty normal. Hugging is more personal, like for close friends or family members.

Normally when you greet someone is one kiss on the cheek (usually on the right side). Brazil, Argentina and maybe Uruguay are 2 kisses (one on each side).

Even when you are introduced to a new girl, you greet her with a kiss. Normally, kisses between girls and opposite sex are OK. Men usually do not say hello by kissing on the cheek.

With my Japanese friends I do not dare to have any physical contact. But if there are OK with it, I gladly greet them with a kiss.

"Latin," may be used to describe a person who was born in Latin America and migrated to the United States.
http://www.hispaniceconomics.com/overviewofushispanics/hispaniclatinolatin.html
The term Latin America was coined because the region is mostly populated by people who speak Latin languages (with exceptions such as French Guyana, Falkland Islands, German communities in some areas, indigenous languages, etc.). This is, of course, a legacy of colonization.

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Hi,again.

I know it's an old topic once discussed, but I even didn't want to place the new one, since we have this thread from back then that can discuss further, perhaps.

I'm still puzzled abt French La bise culture.
It seems that the propper way is you don't kiss onto the other person's cheeks, but make kissing noise in the air.

What abt with a man you feel close, and want to be closer?

I tend to kiss the other person (a man from Paris) by my actual lips kiss on his cheeks, and even want to indicate the excitement of the imagination beyond. I even want to make my lip motion like real kisses,,,

Would that be offended? I think if the person was uncomfortable, maybe he'd educate me something like, "no touching cheeks, plz let's do it again. "or just being polite not to offend, accept it by me doing it wrong. I even hold that person's shoulder makes it little romantic, to me. I was very happy, when the other time, he touched my jaw, to lean over. That did make me excited imagining our real kiss...

I have an attempt, our friendship grow more, with this person. Do you use this chance more effectively? or that is not the right thing? Any thoughts?

Japan is so far from kissing culture... I can go DFK with my clients, but kissing is a big deal to me...

Any thoughts???

Any thoughts???

Give him a blowjob. If he says "hey, that's not how we do it in France" just tell him you didn't know because you are not used to foreign cultures.

Give him a blowjob. If he says "hey, that's not how we do it in France" just tell him you didn't know because you are not used to foreign cultures.

Haha! I like that! Thanks! The new version of La bise is at his dick, then!

Reactions: MikeH
So, you do it, if you find close. Not to only sometimes you met. Interesting, even for French people find awkward, if you do that in the office!!!

I wouldn't generalize by saying that French people find it awkward at the office. Some people may find it cumbersome but usually the majority of people are fine doing "la bise" even at work. And there isn't a written rule about it so it's often the case that some people who go along well with each other will do it and otherwise shake hands or just say "bonjour" to the less "closed" colleagues.

Hi,again.

I'm still puzzled abt French La bise culture.
It seems that the propper way is you don't kiss onto the other person's cheeks, but make kissing noise in the air.

Well it depends. In bourgeois cercles or when the person is not well known, yes a real kiss is not done, rather a mimic of a kiss. But among friends, in informal situations or in relaxed circumstances, a real kiss is made on the cheeks.

Concerning the rest of your interrogations, no offense but you are maybe misunderstanding what la bise is for. You should not sexualize it or view it as part of sexuality. La bise is a way to socialize and create contact with people in the same way saying "bonjour" and smiling to someone are the basics of politeness. La bise is the part of saying "tu" to someone, it has fraternal and egalitarian values into it.

Well it depends. In bourgeois cercles or when the person is not well known, yes a real kiss is not done, rather a mimic of a kiss. But among friends, in informal situations or in relaxed circumstances, a real kiss is made on the cheeks.

Concerning the rest of your interrogations, no offense but you are maybe misunderstanding what la bise is for. You should not sexualize it or view it as part of sexuality. La bise is a way to socialize and create contact with people in the same way saying "bonjour" and smiling to someone are the basics of politeness. La bise is the part of saying "tu" to someone, it has fraternal and egalitarian values into it.

Thank you so much for explaining it so well! Such a great read! Well noted!