What album had the most impact on you as a teenager?

First heard this album at a friend’s house. His dad, who owned a sizeable record collection and a kick-ass audio system, had just bought the album during a trip to NYC.

I’ve been hooked on Steely Dan ever since.

A8F9C766-66F5-4504-91F0-F394513C0D99.jpeg

Oh, this is a tough one for me..... there's a handful.

Bad Brains I Against I

Mystic Records Sampler #1
(Playlist)

Crumbsuckers Life of Dreams

We Can Do Whatever We Want (BCT Sampler)

But the big bad voodoo daddy of 'em all was probably Bad Music for Bad People by the Cramps

Bad Brains I Against I

(Playlist)

But the big bad voodoo daddy of 'em all was probably Bad Music for Bad People by the Cramps

you must have had an interesting teenagehood!

Bad Brains I Against I

(Playlist)

Never heard of any of these bands! It either shows my age or lack of musical variety. Most likely age.

Never heard of any of these bands! It either shows my age or lack of musical variety. Most likely age.
A lot of them are pretty obscure punk bands that never went anywhere, but some are legends in the counter culture scene. Sampler records used to be one of the ways we discovered new bands back in the day - at least if you weren’t into top 40 stuff.

Reactions: Sudsy
A lot of them are pretty obscure punk bands that never went anywhere, but some are legends in the counter culture scene. Sampler records used to be one of the ways we discovered new bands back in the day - at least if you weren’t into top 40 stuff.

I was too into T40 or whatever my friends were listening too.

Ni04Mjc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Just a small introduction to the G-funk era

I shit you not, I was just blasting "Ain't No Fun" earlier in my home office to test my new speakers and sub, followed by "Regulators." And for a few minutes I'm 14 again, sitting at the park with a pack of other idiots wearing plaid flannels and pants hanging below our asses, chugging a Mickey's 40oz and smoking Kool Milds, thinking I'm the coolest shit ever.

Reactions: hrbb

You must be just a few years older than me. I remember around sophomore year in HS was when those samplers started disappearing. The last one I remember might've been from a label like Fat Wreck Chords. Fuck, that's coming up on three decades ago.

You must be just a few years older than me. I remember around sophomore year in HS was when those samplers started disappearing. The last one I remember might've been from a label like Fat Wreck Chords. Fuck, that's coming up on three decades ago.
When I was getting samplers, CDs weren't in stores yet.

Reactions: Keihan
Speaking of CD's To produce an album including vinyl/cover/liners notes etc back in the day cost approx $2.80 give or take. Cassettes were about $1.80, and when CD's came out it was $.85 but if your memory serves you well, cassettes cost more and CD's were out of this world.

Linkin Park Albums hands down. Can't go wrong with any of them. Used to listen to it a lot when I was a kid, with a Sony stereo casette player, ahhh good times.

Seems like there are quite a few audiophiles here!

B

Never mind, then.

On a related note, just the other day I found my old yellow Sony "Walkman." I think it might even still work. It occurred to me that if I strapped it on my belt and went for a walk, most millennials who saw it would probably think it's some sort of radical new technology. Funny when you think that most in their 20s have never seen a cassette tape.

Reactions: Jimmy Chu1969
I know some of yall be lying. Don't be hiding those emo bands that impacted you.

I know some of yall be lying. Don't be hiding those emo bands that impacted you.
Red jumpsuit apparatus?
Saosin?
Coheed and Cambria?
Hoobastank? What else... Yellowcard? Dashboard confessional, Simple Plan... Too many to mention.

Reactions: Edenrow
Damn…nobody here shares in my strange passion as a teenager. Okay, this album is why I am the disturbed angel you know me as today:

upload_2022-7-23_10-49-33.jpeg

This is my favorite track:

Can’t tell if ur taking the piss or not @Requiemmorrow… Impressive though. For some reason I had imagined your go-to track to be “Slob on my knob” by Three 6 Mafia… :)
Haha! Nope!

I am an ardent classical music lover; especially post-romantic period and onward. My desire to empty semen into women’s faces would be accompanied by the William Tell Overture if you needed an mental image.

My favorites are as follows:
  1. Benjamin Britten
  2. Ralph Vaughan Williams
  3. Alfredo Cassella
  4. Amy Beach
  5. Eric Whitacre
I also love Yoko Kanno, Tohru Takemitsu, Ikuma Dan, and Ryuichi Sakamoto, but there’s a whole other dimension there for me with not quite as much influence in my teenage years as Rutter choruses.

Reactions: Cinnabums and hrbb