What are some of the best recruiting companies in Tokyo or Japan in general?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I'm researching more about possibly finding a full time job at a Japanese company like a trading company, international company, real estate agency, travel agency, etc. where they need a token English teacher. I know these gigs are not really common but I know they exist. I had a friend do this in Tokyo about 8 years ago and the foreign guy in this interview mentions a recruiter called Hays scored him this type of job as well:

Does anyone know of good recruiters that offer a decent amount of junior role positions?

good recruiters

That is as common sight in Tokyo as a honest tout.

That is if you are a foreigner. The common recruiters get Japanese canon fodder for the Japanese companies. The headhunters get Japanese middle managers and sell them as directors for foreign companies.

Nobody cares for the few foreigners looking for job in Japan, too few to make a good market and also they have requirements and conditions. No recruiter likes people like that.

Does anyone know of good recruiters that offer a decent amount of junior role positions?

Good recruiter? That's like finding a unicorn.... an albino unicorn

yeah, there are no good ones, you need to do the work yourself...
use google and send your resume to any you can find, thats the only thing you can do, if you want to use headhunters...
most, if not all of them go after your resume, though...

ask your friend how he got that... or well ask all of your friends if they know something... in case you have any...

other than that it works like everywhere else, look up job boards, or companies you are interested in and apply... a lot... dont settle on any location and see what you can get...

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
The first thing about doing anything is to commit to doing it properly. Otherwise you are wasting your time. And more importantly, you are wasting my time. Asking for job advice on a pervert site is not a proper approach. See? You have already fucked up! But I am willing to give you a second chance. The proper approach is to first decide what you want to be when you grow up. Do you really want to be a corporate English teacher? No, I didn’t think so. You just want a paycheck to support a life of boozing and fornicating. Not acceptable! If you don’t know what you want to do, you should take a Myers-Briggs type test to determine your interests and your abilities. At least that will give you a start. Do this and tell us the results. Then I will tell you what to do next. I’m serious.

The first thing about doing anything is to commit to doing it properly. Otherwise you are wasting your time. And more importantly, you are wasting my time. Asking for job advice on a pervert site is not a proper approach. See? You have already fucked up! But I am willing to give you a second chance. The proper approach is to first decide what you want to be when you grow up. Do you really want to be a corporate English teacher? No, I didn’t think so. You just want a paycheck to support a life of boozing and fornicating. Not acceptable! If you don’t know what you want to do, you should take a Myers-Briggs type test to determine your interests and your abilities. At least that will give you a start. Do this and tell us the results. Then I will tell you what to do next. I’m serious.

But, some of you perverts have great advice! :D

There really isn’t a good answer to your question on “ what is a good recruiting firm..?”

If you were a client , then depending on the industry , level of seniority, expertise required and overall complexity, then there might be either a large set of contingency [ non exclusive , 30-35% success fee ] firms [ tons... since you mentioned Hays... Michael Page, Robert Walters, Robert Half, Robert NewHalf, robert LGBTXYZ ] and a much smaller set of retained [ exclusive , 30-35% success fee plus expenses if they can wring it out of you ] firms [ I.e. Egon Zhender, Odgers Berndtson, Korn Ferry, Spencer Stuart, DLH, Russell Reynolds, Hendricks, ] .

It’s an industry with low barriers to entry so you get all types starting with bucket shops that employ almost anyone... while others do decent jobs. Our firm has found some excellent people through a small Japanese firm headed by an experienced woman who knows her stuff.

For a job seeker, in order for a search firm to have a matching opportunity for you ... that firm has to have agreed to pay the firm between 30-35% of first year compensation. A lot less likely to do so for junior positions, and most firms might only do so after conventional methods have failed.

There really isn’t a good answer to your question on “ what is a good recruiting firm..?”

If you were a client , then depending on the industry , level of seniority, expertise required and overall complexity, then there might be either a large set of contingency [ non exclusive , 30-35% success fee ] firms [ tons... since you mentioned Hays... Michael Page, Robert Walters, Robert Half, Robert NewHalf, robert LGBTXYZ ] and a much smaller set of retained [ exclusive , 30-35% success fee plus expenses if they can wring it out of you ] firms [ I.e. Egon Zhender, Odgers Berndtson, Korn Ferry, Spencer Stuart, DLH, Russell Reynolds, Hendricks, ] .

It’s an industry with low barriers to entry so you get all types starting with bucket shops that employ almost anyone... while others do decent jobs. Our firm has found some excellent people through a small Japanese firm headed by an experienced woman who knows her stuff.

For a job seeker, in order for a search firm to have a matching opportunity for you ... that firm has to have agreed to pay the firm between 30-35% of first year compensation. A lot less likely to do so for junior positions, and most firms might only do so after conventional methods have failed.

Lol! Robert NewHalf. Thanks for the laugh! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: NorthTriangle
Good recruiter? That's like finding a unicorn.... an albino unicorn

There are plenty of good recruiters out there, its not that hard to find them.

If you go online and search for one you’ll get coupled up with some idiot from whichever of the big firms has the best SEO that day.

The thing is @TokyoJoeblow recruiters are paid a fee by their clients to find them a candidate with a skill set relevant to what they do. You’ve been an english teacher for some time now so it would be very tough for a recruiter to represent you to their client. You’d be wasting your time going to recruitment agencies to help you find work.