Guest viewing is limited

What is considered good salary in Japan

Ruby language invented by a Japanese guy. Pretty smart. But an outlying data point I think.

Reactions: Ken1988
Ruby language invented by a Japanese guy. Pretty smart. But an outlying data point I think.

I know that some of local guys are really good. I even know 1 such guy from Microsoft Japan. But he is probably 1 out of 100. And yes, I know that Ruby was made by japanese guy. But after he made it he almost abandoned it. I remember how in 2007 lots of devs thought that Ruby is next standard for website development. But after 10 years Ruby is just very niche solution for websites development.

Please don’t go taking things personally... the sharpened edges on some posts are just plastic and not metal.

A little over the top? No?
I agree. Over the top. I often catch myself getting a bit bent out of shape when I see other foreigners belittling Japan and/or Japanese people, yet they stay here taking advantage of the situation year after year. I am all for criticism of Japan and Japanese when it is deserved and when it has some balance. When it doesn’t, I am quick to call it out. And sometimes I am a bit too harsh.

Have you spoken with any recruiters? I've given a couple recruiters from some of the more well known firms 30 minutes of my time to walk them through my career history. I then ask them for average salaries for people in my position and if I worked at X company could they negotiate a pay bump. They're pretty forthcoming about what to expect in terms of Salary + Benefts based on your experience.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
It’s a very tiny subset of people, but if you’re a software dev and you can convince some company to pay you Silicon Valley rates while you work remotely from Tokyo (my dream scenario), you can easily cross the 10 mil mark, at least if you’re good. I say this as a software dev having worked in SV. I’ve heard of some guys doing exactly this, except living in a country with rock bottom living expenses like Thailand or the Philippines.

But as nice as that is, that’s not the limit. If you’re experienced enough to be working as an independent consultant you can make twice as much or more, especially if your expertise is focused around infosec - those guys make what normal software devs make look like pocket change.

But yeah, if you’re looking to work locally your options are pretty limited from what I’ve seen of friends who live in Tokyo.

But as nice as that is, that’s not the limit. If you’re experienced enough to be working as an independent consultant you can make twice as much or more, especially if your expertise is focused around infosec - those guys make what normal software devs make look like pocket change.

If you are good and into InfoSec, yes you can make a lot of money, also a lot of lousy InfoSec guys. Not to mention the job can be really stressful when things blow up (but then I guess any job can be stressful). There's always holes to patch up and things to review. I like the recent discoveries by the Google researchers on the chip bugs. That was some damn fine researches (and crazy reports).

Salaries vary between domestic (lower salary) and foreign (higher). Robert Walters etc skew # to be higher so everyone is like 'fuck I'm poorly paid, better send my resume to Robert Walters'.

95% of foreign salaries here will be from 4m for skilled, younger folk, and top out at around 18m to 25m for managing directors. Department head and directors will be in the 13m to 17m range.

Investment bankers excluded as they make crazy money.

Wild cards are sales. They can make shit or make as much or more than a managing director, depending on industry and their ability to sell well.

After reading this thread it makes me want to move to take that relocation possibility to Japan for my company. I can have so much money to waste it on p4p...

My case (nenshuu)
college (baito only) 150万(くそびんぼう)
1st year 300万
2nd year 400万
3rd year 500万
4th year 650万
5th year 750万

Last edited:
Reactions: hibikii
Curious though. Does any one know if there's even a demand for like Internal auditors or something similar out in Japan? Reason being I make decent money doing audits out in the US and as part of 1 of the big 4 public accounting firms. Always wanted to do a work abroad thing for fun. But, based on what I can find on like linkedin and stuff, seems like I would take a pay cut or need business level japanese fluency as expected.

if there's even a demand for like Internal auditors or something similar out in Japan?

Most major firms are running those operations out of Singapore now, sending people to Japan when necessary.

Reactions: VillagerB
Curious though. Does any one know if there's even a demand for like Internal auditors or something similar out in Japan? Reason being I make decent money doing audits out in the US and as part of 1 of the big 4 public accounting firms. Always wanted to do a work abroad thing for fun. But, based on what I can find on like linkedin and stuff, seems like I would take a pay cut or need business level japanese fluency as expected.

hey i have the same bg as u but already in japan. trying to move into IA but currently in external. we can take this talk somewhere else if your keen to know more, but yea fluency in jp is quite important hence i havent gotten any offers yet after like half a dozen interviews lol

Deloitte are currently consolidating their office space in Tokyo. But there will be a lot of extra office capacity for new employees in the coming years.

Without Japanese ability it is difficult to get in...,,

Deloitte are currently consolidating their office space in Tokyo. But there will be a lot of extra office capacity for new employees in the coming years.

Without Japanese ability it is difficult to get in...,,

Hhmm, i figured. I'm actually working for Deloitte right now and thought about doing a transfer. However, the only projects that seem to be available are on clients in the banking/financial services industry. My values align more with tech companies.

Most major firms are running those operations out of Singapore now, sending people to Japan when necessary.

If you're a fully bilingual professional with experience, there are actually a fair amount of opportunities if you have a U.S. CPA or equivalent. The domestic market is fairly large but as sudsy mentioned, outsiders are flown in to handle most of the foreign work where English is the norm. It's no longer viable to house and maintain English-only speaking professionals for the fraction of work here.

Hhmm, i figured. I'm actually working for Deloitte right now and thought about doing a transfer. However, the only projects that seem to be available are on clients in the banking/financial services industry. My values align more with tech companies.
I have friends that ran away from E&Y, wound up at PwC.... the grass was more brown, lol.

If you're a fully bilingual professional with experience, there are actually a fair amount of opportunities if you have a U.S. CPA or equivalent. The domestic market is fairly large but as sudsy mentioned, outsiders are flown in to handle most of the foreign work where English is the norm. It's no longer viable to house and maintain English-only speaking professionals for the fraction of work here.

I have friends that ran away from E&Y, wound up at PwC.... the grass was more brown, lol.

Good to know. I have a CPA. However, I've been focused on IT audits dealing with SOX stuff instead of the actual financial audits themselves. I guess the equivalent in Japan is JSOX which I have heard being thrown around here and there. Guess I got to really put in some time to level up my Japanese.

Haha, yea... Jumping from big 4 to another big 4 usually results in higher pay but shiettier work. My friends also jumped around a bit and they don't sound happy at all.

Good to know. I have a CPA. However, I've been focused on IT audits dealing with SOX stuff instead of the actual financial audits themselves. I guess the equivalent in Japan is JSOX which I have heard being thrown around here and there. Guess I got to really put in some time to level up my Japanese.

From what I understand, domestic is big but most foreign companies have pushed their stuff off-shore to Singapore or some other central strategic point. I’m familiar with IT Audit for SOX/JSOX, but don’t have much to share except that most of the people I’ve met in that field were locals. A CPA is still desired to sign-off on that work as well.

Reactions: VillagerB
Holy hell, I work as a translator, editor, writer and author at a well-known publishing company and I make like 3.3 m a year. What am I doing wrong? I got a wife and kid here, too. :eek:

Reactions: Simonka
Holy hell, I work as a translator, editor, writer and author at a well-known publishing company and I make like 3.3 m a year. What am I doing wrong? I got a wife and kid here, too. :eek:

I believe one of your hobbies is bending over the table with your pants round your ankles.

Reactions: arienai
I believe one of your hobbies is bending over the table with your pants round your ankles.
Why there is no dislike button?
I think the guy is really in trouble and needs some advise or a hug at least.
Seriously 3.3 m a year is very low for being a translator, editor, writer and author at a well-known publishing company. Kris Black should negotiate it during the next renewing of his contract.

Kris Black should negotiate it during the next renewing of his contract.

Bad advice. He should negotiate his salary when he is entering a new company.

Seriously too, you will never get a decent bump in your current job, decent salaries are made when they take you, not after they already have you.