What is your favorite おせち料理?

I have always loved 栗きんとん most but 筑前煮/煮しめ, えびのうま煮, 酢れんこん,
関東風お雑煮 and 黒豆 are good too.

Happy New Year!

Tbh, I’ve always liked the stackable wooden boxes those came in. My in-laws found it amusing that i took the empty boxes back home as a souvenir. :)

My favorite osechi is when after I have eaten my obligatory share of osechi, I sneak out and have a Milano sandwich (#1) and a cup of coffee at Doutour. That is the only proper way to start the year. Too bad they don’t have an inoshishi sandwich.

My favorite osechi is when after I have eaten my obligatory share of osechi, I sneak out and have a Milano sandwich (#1) and a cup of coffee at Doutour. That is the only proper way to start the year. Too bad they don’t have an inoshishi sandwich.

Taking Year of the Wild Boar to a new level!

That does sound delicious lol.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Honestly? Cant stand any of it. Fortunately there is no one to expect me to eat any to begin with.

Reactions: MikeH
Honestly? Cant stand any of it. Fortunately there is no one to expect me to eat any to begin with.
I am reminded each year that it is not meant to taste good. And I let everyone know,each year, that it doesn’t. Being the Alpha Pig that I am, I have retaliated by starting my own New Years gastronomic traditions. One of which occurs tonight: all you can eat Peking Duck in Yokohama Chinatown. The minions love it. It’s excellent! Not that crowded, surprisingly. And very good quality if you know where to go.

I am reminded each year that it is not meant to taste good. And I let everyone know,each year, that it doesn’t. Being the Alpha Pig that I am, I have retaliated by starting my own New Years gastronomic traditions. One of which occurs tonight: all you can eat Peking Duck in Yokohama Chinatown. The minions love it. It’s excellent! Not that crowded, surprisingly. And very good quality if you know where to go.

Peking duck wraps, tacos, burritos are good too, but eating it just by itself is always delicious.

Remember that I lived in Peking for a little over 4 years, so I have eaten quite a bit of Peking duck.

Reactions: warubuta
I've given a lot of thought, and I've got to say.... every year I skip all of it and head straight for my scotch. This year a bottle of Ardbeg 22. A new release, with which I was not at all displeased.

I've given a lot of thought, and I've got to say.... every year I skip all of it and head straight for my scotch. This year a bottle of Ardbeg 22. A new release, with which I was not at all displeased.
This year I went for the Laphroaig Cuan. Tastes like a Band-aid but I’ll get through it no doubt.

I love おせち。My favorite is えび(shrimp). 味がちがうだけどえびだったら違う作り方もおいしい。I also like to collect the boxes they are served in. Kinpira and lotus roots are also good.

Why does this thread feel like Japanese class?

Last edited:
I wish. Where do you find a Doutor open on Jan 1st?

I love おせち。My favorite is えび(shrimp). 味がちがうだけどえびだったら違う作り方もおいしい。I also like to collect the boxes they are served in. Kinpira and lotus roots are also good.

Why does this thread feel like Japanese class?

Would it be a typical conversation subject in a class in January?

Btw, eating osechi is a way to make wishes. For example, herring roe is about a wish to make a lot of children. Pacific herring is called “nishin” (ニシン) in Japanese. Nishin can also be written 二親 which means “two parents”. Thus, herring roe is thought to embody “a lot of eggs from two parents”. It’s a pun, of course, and the linkage between an osechi dish and a wish is usually of word play.

No scotch this year for me, but I sure did partake in a lot of Shizuoka sake tasting.

Would it be a typical conversation subject in a class in January?

Btw, eating osechi is a way to make wishes. For example, herring roe is about a wish to make a lot of children. Pacific herring is called “nishin” (ニシン) in Japanese. Nishin can also be written 二親 which means “two parents”. Thus, herring roe is thought to embody “a lot of eggs from two parents”. It’s a pun, of course, and the linkage between an osechi dish and a wish is usually of word play.

I don't know the meaning behind all of them, since there are hundreds but one of my favorites is how the shrimp osechi dish is to wish to grow old until you have a hunchback that looks like this:

sea-tiger-shrimp-500x500.jpg

Another funny one if the wish of kuromame, which goes something like: 黒く日焼けするほどまめに働き健康に暮らせるようにとの願いが込められている I wish to be able to work healthy and work hard as I get sunburned black.

Unlike Japanese people, when I get a sunburn I basically turn into a lobster.

upload_2019-1-4_0-29-22.jpeg

Unfortunately, I don’t enjoy most of the traditional Osechi dish.
煮しめ、海老、かまぼこ、いくら、数の子are my favorite. Other than these like 黒豆、栗きんとん, 紅白なます、昆布巻き、伊達巻き, I don’t really care. They are either too salty or too sweet.

煮しめ、海老、かまぼこ、いくら、数の子are my favorite. Other than these like 黒豆、栗きんとん, 紅白なます、昆布巻き、伊達巻き, I don’t really care. They are either too salty or too sweet.

You don't drink, or I'd offer half my scotch. ;)

Happy new year!

I am the same as Manami-san. I smile through gritted teeth and try not to look at my watch when at the in-laws place having to pretend to like all the Osechi dishes put in front of me. I do appreciate the effort Okāsan put in to make them all from scratch.

You don't drink, or I'd offer half my scotch. ;)

Happy new year!

Oh my dearest @Sudsy,
Happy new year to you, too:)
Stay sweet, stay bitter, stay cool, stay just who you are.