what to expect in morioka

cytusfubu

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi TAG, been some time since I was active here. I'm now working herein Japan indefinitely and I'm assigned to Morioka (of all places) to work for maybe a few month, a year at worse.

Straight to the point: what can I expect here in Iwate and the Tohoku region in general? I've been scouring the interwebs and all results look bleak. Maybe I'll do something when I visit Tokyo for the golden week, but I don't have to travel far everytime I need a good time right?

Thanks in advance and I hope someone could be of help.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Morioka.... Morioka is a horrible place in terms of nightlife and P4P. Lovely town, pretty surroundings, but a serious dearth of sin and sleaze.

There are a couple of delivery places that handle the area, but you will want to avoid mongering there in general, as a smaller community, they have a very well connected granny gossip network. Anything you do that's remotely interesting will get back to your coworkers in short order.

You're better off heading up to Hachinohe or down to Sendai to maintain privacy.

Last edited:
Morioka.... Morioka is a horrible place in terms of nightlife and P4P. Lovely town, pretty surroundings, but a serious dearth of sin and sleaze.

There are a couple of delivery places that handle the area, but you will want to avoid mongering there in general, as a smaller community, they have a very well connected granny gossip network. Anything you do that's remotely interesting will get back to your coworkers in short order.

You're better off heading up to Hachinohe or down to Sendai to maintain privacy.

I'm actually living and working in the boonies about 30 minutes north of morioka, so unless I get myself in the local news, I doubt it will reach them. I'm more wary of the pubs in nearby villages.

I'll heed your advice and lower my expectations when I finally decide to dip into the waters though.

I'm actually living and working in the boonies about 30 minutes north of morioka

Yeah, that's probably a little safer if you're playing in Morioka proper.

Iwate is even insular than the average jpnese inaka. They have a huge problem with getting doctors cause they are frozen out/ran off and newly minted doctors refuse to be placed there.