What's your Background?

Probably Taiwanese/Chinese and some other SEA mixed in there. Never spoken to in English when in Japan :confused:

I like it when people ask this question over "where are you from/whats your nationality" since I never know how to answer (are they asking race, nationality or where i'm from). I don't 'look' like my country of birth, nor do I look like my nationality, nor do I 'look' like the languages I speak, nor do I 'look' like my name - so I have a little bit of an identity crisis here.

Well, that's going to be one hell of a high school reunion party then!
There used to be a cross-dresser (sorry, I'm ignorant of LGBT terms) in my high school who was bullied/ridiculed. Well, she had her 'man stick' removed and is now a very successful model (successful enough to buy apartments in Manhattan). I'll admit, if I did not have a 'before' picture in my mind, I'd be fooled :oops: (and so would my dick :eek:).
Anyway, I'm curious what our 10 year reunion will be like (if there is any).

isnt that question about where you are born? or where you have been living? at least it is to me...
i usually just ask the origin question when there is nothing else to talk about, but recently i think i should better ask to see somebodies passport, to spare me 10 minutes... i dont care about anybodies "race" and if somebody is 4% inuit...

if someone doesnt know where he/she is from: says so on the front page of your passport...

isnt that question about where you are born? or where you have been living? at least it is to me...
i usually just ask the origin question when there is nothing else to talk about, but recently i think i should better ask to see somebodies passport, to spare me 10 minutes... i dont care about anybodies "race" and if somebody is 4% inuit...

if someone doesnt know where he/she is from: says so on the front page of your passport...
The problem is when they ask something but mean another thing. Which is what I encounter often.

Someone asked me once 'where are you from' and I told them my country of birth. Then they asked: "well then, how come you are not black?"o_O
Btw I'm not even born in sth Africa :ROFLMAO: and there aren't many 'black' people, only very tanned skin/brown in my country. In fact, blacks (as in true Negroes) are extremely rare there.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland