Guest viewing is limited

Where are the TAG gaijin going to retire?

warubuta

TAG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had put much thought into where, when and how they plan to retire. I know alot of people are going to, either by choice or necessity, work till they drop, but for those of us who have been a bit lucky, I was wondering what people are planning. That age survey got me thinking. Lots of TAG gaijin in their 50s. Some in their 60s. Yikes! Anyway, its going to be some time before I jump off the rat wheel. I got between 5 and 10 more years to go. I'll be in my early to mid 60s when I hang it up. But I am at a point now where I am starting to think about it. My current vision is having bases in a few select locations and to move between them so I don't get bored. I will always want to have a nice apartment or small house in Tokyo - not where I am now, but probably in some working class hood full of oldsters like me where the yakitori is good and there are unpretentious people to drink with. Then maybe a beach or mountain house in Izu for the spring and fall - swim, surf, fish, sail, camp, hike. Age like a fine wine - rather than rot like a mango. Then a place in Bali or Chang Mai to chill during the winter months - Bali has some nice spots. I want to avoid the cold weather when I am old. The plan seems luxurious, but actually, with the exception of Tokyo, the places can be pretty cheap. And if you have the dosh, then you can get really nice properties. Friends and family will want to visit. It will enhance the mongering lifestyle too. More variety. I am going to need some kind of hobby business to keep me occupied. Unfortunately, what I do now can't be scaled or separated from Big Corp. I have some ideas for hobby businesses but nothing is really looking that viable and/or fun at this point.

At this point... I plan on to keep going. I've made several investments that will keep me going into the future. I'll probably be forced out of my actual job if I decide to stay until mandatory retirement. Still, I'll have my 2nd businesses and investments to keep me busy and the cash flowing.

As to where I'll call home, that's up in the air. Lots of variables in play, but I'm not the kind of person to hop around the globe chasing different scenery or weather. Sure, a couple of weeks vacation on a tropical island is good now and then, but that's really about it.

Ultimate goal right now is to ensure that there's positive cash flow and that I hit a specific savings goal.

South France or Phuket with the occasional trip to Japan for nostalgia and food .

Reactions: Pk24 and Lukes
Why buy a house or two or three when renting gets you off the hook for maintaining the place and then also locking down you plans?

I will probably spend my summers in Europe, spring and autumn in Japan and then visit Thailand, Philippines or Vietnam for the winter days.

I've got another 30 years to go but I'm already thinking about it. The wife wants to retire in Japan - which I DO NOT want but may not have a choice.

I'd much rather retire back at home in the good old USA where I sit on my porch drinking Kentucky bourbon with a shotgun across my lap yelling at everyone to get off my property.

But that's wishful thinking. Right now I'm considering buying a small house outside central Tokyo. I already have an investment property in South America and some in the US. My profession is very specialized and needed in Japan so I may decide to come over to stay in a few years once I've reached senior management level. Still to be seen how all this plays out.

I'm looking at Chiang Mai and Philippines... can get properties cheap and have a relative good standard of living, even if the investments tank... The only problem with Chiang Mai is you can't own property, so maybe a 25 year lease or similar.... I love that town... loads of chill people and good weather... heading there on Thursday for work... and ahem... r & r for a few days, then to Bangkok for more work and I don't like Bangkok at all.... gotta take the good with the bad... Haven't decided where in the Philippines yet, maybe Batangas... close enough to Manila when you need action and far enough away from the crazy traffic... can get a small place for $15K that's new construction ok... it's only 30sq mtr, but after Tokyo flats... I've learned to simplify and get rid of material possessions... the non-animated ones anyway :D..... I need to do more research for Vietnam and Cambodia as they may be diamonds in the rough... to be continued... The only issue is Japan Pension - you have to live here minimum number of years to be able to collect... I don't want to walk away from that.... especially after seeing how much they take every month...:eek:

I've got another 30 years to go but I'm already thinking about it. The wife wants to retire in Japan - which I DO NOT want but may not have a choice.

I'd much rather retire back at home in the good old USA where I sit on my porch drinking Kentucky bourbon with a shotgun across my lap yelling at everyone to get off my property.

But that's wishful thinking. Right now I'm considering buying a small house outside central Tokyo. I already have an investment property in South America and some in the US. My profession is very specialized and needed in Japan so I may decide to come over to stay in a few years once I've reached senior management level. Still to be seen how all this plays out.
I was initially not considering Japan as a retirement place. I still am not, but after all these years, I have come to realize that I do want to spend some time here every year. It also makes sense for me from a friends and family perspective. Also, I find the health care to be pretty good and I like the way old people are treated in general. Its not great. Growing old has got to suck no matter where you are, but it beats the hell out of the US and most other places IMO.

Reactions: Negi77
I'm looking at Chiang Mai and Philippines... can get properties cheap and have a relative good standard of living, even if the investments tank... The only problem with Chiang Mai is you can't own property, so maybe a 25 year lease or similar.... I love that town... loads of chill people and good weather... heading there on Thursday for work... and ahem... r & r for a few days, then to Bangkok for more work and I don't like Bangkok at all.... gotta take the good with the bad... Haven't decided where in the Philippines yet, maybe Batangas... close enough to Manila when you need action and far enough away from the crazy traffic... can get a small place for $15K that's new construction ok... it's only 30sq mtr, but after Tokyo flats... I've learned to simplify and get rid of material possessions... the non-animated ones anyway :D..... I need to do more research for Vietnam and Cambodia as they may be diamonds in the rough... to be continued... The only issue is Japan Pension - you have to live here minimum number of years to be able to collect... I don't want to walk away from that.... especially after seeing how much they take every month...:eek:
I like the Phils too. Beautiful and fun women, great beaches - what's not to like? But I find the people to be a bit wearing. And the food is not great. I have friends who live in BKK and have places in Chaing Mai and Samui/Phuket. They seem to be liking it. Right now the economy is doing well. I am trending towards Bali these days. You need a bit more money than Thai or Phils but I like the lay of the land, the culture, the vibe and good surf.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow

In 30 years both of these countries are going to be very different. Japan might be better if your wife will be happy and you have family conections, property etc. Make the wife happy then do your own thing: long relaxing 'golfing' or 'diving' trips with like minded buddies to cheapy, sunny nearby countries.

You know that they recently changed the law and you can start collecting pension when you are 60 and have paid in for 10 years? Don't quote me on that but I think thats what it is. But even if you pay to the full and get the max amount, its not really that much money. a couple 100k/month? Anyway its better than nothing.

But even if you pay to the full and get the max amount, its not really that much money. a couple 100k/month? Anyway its better than nothing.

If you are talking just about the National Pension then you are in for a surprise. The full amount after paying 40 years is 779.300 yens. Per year. Paying just 10 years gets you one fourth of that.

If you are talking just about the National Pension then you are in for a surprise. The full amount after paying 40 years is 779.300 yens. Per year. Paying just 10 years gets you one fourth of that.
I was thinking about the Kosei Nenkin. Still peanuts, but I think it pays about double of the basic pension. At least I hope it does because I already have that money earmarked as my monthly budget for Strong Zero and New York New York.

Reactions: MikeH
I was thinking about the Kosei Nenkin. Still peanuts, but I think it pays about double of the basic pension. At least I hope it does because I already have that money earmarked as my monthly budget for Strong Zero and New York New York.

You drink that much of Strong Zero? :)

Reactions: MikeH
I enjoy my life here but when I'm 70? Am I going to move back to my home city or the other city I lived in where I don't know anyone?

I don't know the answers.

I was initially not considering Japan as a retirement place. I still am not, but after all these years, I have come to realize that I do want to spend some time here every year. It also makes sense for me from a friends and family perspective. Also, I find the health care to be pretty good and I like the way old people are treated in general. Its not great. Growing old has got to suck no matter where you are, but it beats the hell out of the US and most other places IMO.

In 30 years both of these countries are going to be very different. Japan might be better if your wife will be happy and you have family conections, property etc. Make the wife happy then do your own thing: long relaxing 'golfing' or 'diving' trips with like minded buddies to cheapy, sunny nearby countries.

Japan is a good place for old people. The country has more old people than young people and that's just going to become more pronounced in the coming years. Better than the US in terms of healthcare and general treatment of the old? Probably. But I don't know about that for gaijin.

As you said though, 30 years is a long time and things could change a lot. Happy wife, happy life right?

I retired in June.

I've been here since 1999, bought and built a new house in 2007 and will have it paid off by next May.

My original plan was to take all sorts of 5-6 day road bicycle treks around Japan. I suffered a broken femur on my first retirement trek and spent a month in a hospital in Mie, over 450 kilometers from home. So, now, it's a year of rehab, then, maybe hiking mountain trails?

Actually, I could live about anywhere I want, but with two kids and a wife, Japan is a nice place to raise a family.

Reactions: nedved80 and MikeH
I was wondering if anyone had put much thought into where, when and how they plan to retire. I know alot of people are going to, either by choice or necessity, work till they drop, but for those of us who have been a bit lucky, I was wondering what people are planning. That age survey got me thinking. Lots of TAG gaijin in their 50s. Some in their 60s. Yikes! Anyway, its going to be some time before I jump off the rat wheel. I got between 5 and 10 more years to go. I'll be in my early to mid 60s when I hang it up. But I am at a point now where I am starting to think about it. My current vision is having bases in a few select locations and to move between them so I don't get bored. I will always want to have a nice apartment or small house in Tokyo - not where I am now, but probably in some working class hood full of oldsters like me where the yakitori is good and there are unpretentious people to drink with. Then maybe a beach or mountain house in Izu for the spring and fall - swim, surf, fish, sail, camp, hike. Age like a fine wine - rather than rot like a mango. Then a place in Bali or Chang Mai to chill during the winter months - Bali has some nice spots. I want to avoid the cold weather when I am old. The plan seems luxurious, but actually, with the exception of Tokyo, the places can be pretty cheap. And if you have the dosh, then you can get really nice properties. Friends and family will want to visit. It will enhance the mongering lifestyle too. More variety. I am going to need some kind of hobby business to keep me occupied. Unfortunately, what I do now can't be scaled or separated from Big Corp. I have some ideas for hobby businesses but nothing is really looking that viable and/or fun at this point.

You could always age like a mango in Southeast Asia...if ya kno wat I sayin brudda lol.

Okinawa seems like a good option for some gaijin members who wish to stay in Japan. The climate is certainly milder than that of Tokyo. The local vibe is also more laid-back.

Personally, however, I'm more likely to end up somewhere in Southeast Asia. Nevertheless, I hope to continue working for many more years.

Last edited:
I retired in June.

I've been here since 1999, bought and built a new house in 2007 and will have it paid off by next May.

My original plan was to take all sorts of 5-6 day road bicycle treks around Japan. I suffered a broken femur on my first retirement trek and spent a month in a hospital in Mie, over 450 kilometers from home. So, now, it's a year of rehab, then, maybe hiking mountain trails?

Actually, I could live about anywhere I want, but with two kids and a wife, Japan is a nice place to raise a family.
Howe you manage to pay the house off so quickly? Is this common in Japan?

Reactions: TokyoD