Where can I hire a model for a photoshoot?

After trying for a long time on Model Mayhem, I'm still without a model. I attempted Facebook as well as Instagram. Some freelance models on IG have replied, but because I dont speak Japanese I believe they might be getting frustrated with Google Translate and communication has ceased.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Craigslist maybe?
Kinda surprised you didn't get any response on MM, did you post a casting call or try contacting models directly on there?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Craigslist maybe?
Kinda surprised you didn't get any response on MM, did you post a casting call or try contacting models directly on there?

I'm sort of stuck in this interesting catch 22 on MM. I cant fully set up a profile to post a casting call because I don't have any experience yet. They want me to add four photos of models that I have taken, but since I haven't taken any, I cant get my profile approved. I'm looking to hire a model so I can get experience.

So yeah.

The models from MM that I have contacted have posted FB or IG links so thats how I'm attempting to contact them.

Its very difficult to start out in this field, I find.

After trying for a long time on Model Mayhem, I'm still without a model. I attempted Facebook as well as Instagram. Some freelance models on IG have replied, but because I dont speak Japanese I believe they might be getting frustrated with Google Translate and communication has ceased.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Did you email models directly on MM or did you create a casting call? I get better luck with casting calls.

Reactions: Simonka
I'm sort of stuck in this interesting catch 22 on MM. I cant fully set up a profile to post a casting call because I don't have any experience yet. They want me to add four photos of models that I have taken, but since I haven't taken any, I cant get my profile approved. I'm looking to hire a model so I can get experience.

So yeah.

The models from MM that I have contacted have posted FB or IG links so thats how I'm attempting to contact them.

Its very difficult to start out in this field, I find.

Don’t worry about it too much. Everyone has to start somewhere.
If you have no experience yet, maybe ask a friend to model for you (just make sure to get a signed model release from him/her before using it in your portfolio)
You can also check meetup.com for photographer/model group shoots in your area.
Maybe also try a Comic-con and shoot some cosplayers? (Again, make sure to get a signed release before using the images)
You also might think about contacting a photographer in your area and ask about assisting. The more you network, the better chances you have of gaining contacts.
Also try contacting makeup artists and haistylists and offering to do TFCD headshots if they can provide a model.
Lots of ways to make contacts, just need to keep at it. :)

Last edited:
Don’t worry about it too much. Everyone has to start somewhere.
If you have no experience yet, maybe ask a friend to model for you (just make sure to get a signed model release from him/her before using it in your portfolio)
You can also check meetup.com for photographer/model group shoots in your area.
Maybe also try a Comic-con and shoot some cosplayers? (Again, make sure to get a signed release before using the images)

Oh wow. I didnt even know the model release was a thing. Verbal consent isn't enough? I guess that could go down a, 'he said, she said' type of argument down the line. Thanks for the tips!

Never rely on verbal consent. Even if you’re shooting a friend, a properly worded signed model release is mandatory if you’re planning to use those photos in your online portfolio or any other public manner. (This was one of the first things my mentor drilled into me when I first started branching into model photography).

For the model’s protection as well as your own. :)

There are plenty of photo studios and small time photo shoot agencies around, many in Akihabara. I'm not sure on their contracts though.

One I do know of is Candy Fruits. http://candyfruit-photoclub.tokyo/

I actually know 3 of the models personally, they're professional in spirit even if they're "amateurs" in modeling.

Oh sweet, I had not heard of this kind of place! I'll have to read through their site.