Guest viewing is limited

Where would you go when you miss your home country's food?

The place is infested with bugs and rodents. That's why they keep the lights down low. Every time I've checked there wasn't an actual Mexican in the kitchen. No Mexican staff on the floor. They're known for not paying their staff too. The last time I had anything close to authentic there was over 15 years ago.

If you're in that area head to Chile's grill right in Harajuku. The manager-owner is from Mexico City and comes from a family of food service people. Last time I stopped in all his cooks were Mexican too. Best place for authentic while still trying to please the local market.

OK, thanks for the tip and sad to hear that Fonda has declined like that. Last time I ate there was at least 10 years ago and it wasnt bad, as far as I remember. Will try Chile next time!

After living in Japan for close to 20 years, I find I miss Japanese food after spending a couple of days in my home country. For a decent steak, might head to Outback. I guess a good home cooked meal is the best. A pot roast dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy. I do miss Thanksgiving dinner though.

The place is infested with bugs and rodents. That's why they keep the lights down low. Every time I've checked there wasn't an actual Mexican in the kitchen. No Mexican staff on the floor. They're known for not paying their staff too. The last time I had anything close to authentic there was over 15 years ago.

If you're in that area head to Chile's grill right in Harajuku. The manager-owner is from Mexico City and comes from a family of food service people. Last time I stopped in all his cooks were Mexican too. Best place for authentic while still trying to please the local market.

Have you tried El Rincom de Sam in Ebisu?

I turned up at lunchtime once - and I found out they only open for dinner. But I got the tip from some Mexican(s) posting on Facebook. Generally, they weren't impressed with other options in Tokyo.

Have you tried El Rincom de Sam in Ebisu?
I fully understand what the problem is. Mexican restaurants in Japan have to cater to the market which, of course, is mostly Japanese. So they modify the flavors to something easier to market.

Also, since a lot of the authentic ingredients are not easy or cheap to obtain (beans or tomatillos, for instance) these are often skipped or substituted with something else.

Another problem I have with “Mexican” food in Japan is that it generally is trying to copy the cuisine found in Californian restaurants since California is where most Japanese have tried Mexican food in the US.

So they modify the flavors to something easier to market.

Isn't that same problem with pretty much all ethnic restaurants all over the world? The common knowledge in Europe is not to go into a Chinese restaurant where the staff actually speaks the local language. That means they have been in the country long enough to start adjusting their food to the local tastes; in other words it doesn't taste like Chinese food anymore. To be honest that applies to Japan too; most Chinese restaurants taste like McDonalds.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Never tried JAL. I've flown United a lot though. The food is decent when flying to Japan because they serve Asian flavors. Going back home they serve the crappiest rendition of American food I've ever eaten.

I think jal is better on the outbound. Maybe do a combo?

I have no problem with food from my country here in Japan (and even in China and Hong Kong): it's famous enough people actually go to my country to study it, or when that doesn't happen local chefs are directly hired or open their own places here in Asia... so, no problem about quality. Fact is that it doesn't appeal me anymore, I changed my diet and moved to other cuisines and ingredients.

If you are not from Japan but live here for a while, I am sure you sometimes miss your home country's food. Where would you go? Where can I go for fine, authentic food of your country?

A friend of mine highly recommended I visit Ogo's Ono-loa Hawaii in Akasaka if I feel ono for some poke or loco moco. Honestly though, whenever we visit Japan I'm too busy looking for good ramen shops to even think about food from back home. ;)

Reactions: Frenchy
A friend of mine highly recommended I visit Ogo's Ono-loa Hawaii in Akasaka if I feel ono for some poke or loco moco. Honestly though, whenever we visit Japan I'm too busy looking for good ramen shops to even think about food from back home. ;)
Well on the opposite I tried Egg n'Things in Honolulu and was rather underwhelmed... the Japanese version is probably better.

Well on the opposite I tried Egg n'Things in Honolulu and was rather underwhelmed... the Japanese version is probably better.

Whenever wife and I fly over to Oahu and see the crowds in front of Eggs N Things, we just laugh. Don't understand why it's become so popular - even IHOP has better pancakes.

Whenever wife and I fly over to Oahu and see the crowds in front of Eggs N Things, we just laugh. Don't understand why it's become so popular - even IHOP has better pancakes.
Yes, I had a very different image because I passed in front of their Tokyo shop which looked very nice and new etc... whereas the one in Waikiki looked more like an old drab diner. And the loco moco and pancakes were just ok, not so special imo.

Yes, I had a very different image because I passed in front of their Tokyo shop which looked very nice and new etc... whereas the one in Waikiki looked more like an old drab diner. And the loco moco and pancakes were just ok, not so special imo.

The one in Tokyo is "ordinary" at best. I tried the Odaiba branch.....it was empty. I like pancakes ....but if see the word "Hawaiian" on a menu or pancake mix I won't touch them.

I think Hawaii and also Okinawa get a lot of "love" from JPNese who have lovely sweet memories of their 3 day trip. They are buying more than just the food.

Last edited:
The one major thing that has greatly improved restaurant food quality in Hawaii is the internet. Now that tourists can and do go on-line to find out where to eat the food service industry has to bring their A-game or go out of business. 15 years ago most restaurants knew you would only be there for that one meal so giving a fcuk wasn't part of their SOP.

I have never tried a real Hawaiian food in Hawaii yet but judging by Hawaiian cuisine that I have had in Japan, maybe they are not my favorite. I don't have a sweet tooth so I don't appreciate anything way too sweet.
And I am Asian after all. I don't eat bread much but stick with rice most of the time.
But I love avocado so it is nice to try some fine Hawaiian restaurant.

Talking about IHOP, I usually go for smoke house combo. I like their sausage. But after having heavy American food for two, three days straight, I am ok with their signature premium small orange juice and two white toasts with little butter on it. I still have some free pancake coupons from my last trip but I never use them.

Last edited:
Awesome! I actually wasn't expecting anyone on here to have tried it.

In fact, this is one of the most popular dinner places to dine out when clients make a dinner plus appointment.
My first time is almost 7 years ago. He went to the place for business dinner one day before we met. He really liked the steak so he invited me the very next day. Though I usually don't order steak these days. They are good but steak is too much for around-40 year old woman. Their garlic shrimp is remarkable I love them though it may not e an ideal dish for a date.

I think jal is better on the outbound. Maybe do a combo?
One day I will try JAL, at least once for the experience (and the flight attendants ;)).

Probably wouldn't mix and match though unless I can find really good deals on one way tickets for each airline, which actually could happen now that I think about it.

One day I will try JAL, at least once for the experience (and the flight attendants ;)).

Probably wouldn't mix and match though unless I can find really good deals on one way tickets for each airline, which actually could happen now that I think about it.
Sometimes you can get code-shared flights where JAL is doing one of the legs.
Never found them so exceptional to be honest , even in business. They have been humbled not so long ago , becoming bankrupt and saved by the state.

Reactions: cabbie and Lukes
In fact, this is one of the most popular dinner places to dine out when clients make a dinner plus appointment.
My first time is almost 7 years ago. He went to the place for business dinner one day before we met. He really liked the steak so he invited me the very next day. Though I usually don't order steak these days. They are good but steak is too much for around-40 year old woman. Their garlic shrimp is remarkable I love them though it may not e an ideal dish for a date.
Fantastic! I'm glad you think it's good. The portion sizes can be a bit much. I don't remember what was on the menu at the time but I remember I once ordered a filet mignon at one in the US. Much smaller than the big steaks.

Sometimes you can get code-shared flights where JAL is doing one of the legs.
Never found them so exceptional to be honest , even in business. They have been humbled not so long ago , becoming bankrupt and saved by the state.

I'll check into it sometime. Thanks for the info. I've heard it's not the best but I figured I'd try either it or ANA sometime. Low level bucket list item.

Fantastic! I'm glad you think it's good. The portion sizes can be a bit much. I don't remember what was on the menu at the time but I remember I once ordered a filet mignon at one in the US. Much smaller than the big steaks.

I'll check into it sometime. Thanks for the info. I've heard it's not the best but I figured I'd try either it or ANA sometime. Low level bucket list item.

ANA is better than JAL these days. I used to travel on JAL for the food, but even before the bankruptcy they decided to start serving "airline" food.

Still, if your option is JAL or a US airline, then I would recommend JAL. They treat you like a customer! But the real upside is that you have less chance of sitting next to some road warrior who will bore the tits off you with details of his route and the great internet deals he got on flights/hotels, while he waits for the right time to ask if he can eat the leftover food on your tray.

Last edited:
while he waits for the right time to ask if he can eat the leftover food on your tray.
Do what? lol... I've never had that pleasure and I hope I never do.

I'm strictly ANA for as much of the route as possible. I too did fly JAL in the early 2000's but switched to ANA full-time sometime around 2006.

Reactions: Lukes and MikeH
Still, if your option is JAL or a US airline, then I would recommend JAL. They treat you like a customer!

Probably very true. At least I've never heard of someone getting their ass beat and dragged off a JAL flight like they do on United :ROFLMAO:

On my first trip I was a tiny bit homesick for greasy American food so I ended up ordering a pizza around midnight. Domino's came through like no other Japanese pizza place could. (Seriously Japan, work on that pizza!)

I'm sure some other crappy fast food would have worked as well, but there's something about pizza in a hotel room that feels so right.

Here's the best American style food places that I've found in Tokyo:
Hamburgers: Shake shack or The Great Burger
Breakfast: Sarabeths or Bubby's
Steak: Oak door or Alexander's
Pizza: Pizza Slice or Devilcraft
BBQ: DC BBQ or Smokehouse
Beer: PDX
Ice Cream: Coldstone
Donuts: Krispy Kreme
Mexican: Junkadelic