Which of these two areas would be better to work and live in?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I will be in Nagoya for a job interview. Their main office is in Nagoya, but the location I would be offered would either be in here in Shizuoka prefecture, which will only be part time until around February next year and then would become full time. My other option would be to take full time work in either Mie or Ishikawa prefecture, which would start right away. If I'm sent to work full time in Mie prefecture, it would most likely be Tsu City. If I'm sent to Ishikawa, it would be Kanazawa City.

I have been to Kanazawa City two times with different friends and really enjoyed it but that was as a tourist. The city did seem really peaceful and the locals seemed friendly for the most part. I noticed that the people in general dress a lot more modest and less trendy than the people here in Shizuoka City, which is most likely due to being much further away from Tokyo and its world of fashion.

I have traveled to Ise shrine but I was only there to see that place and didn't see anywhere else. Has anyone ever visited or lived in either Tsu City or Kanazawa City before?

I know the gaijin-friendly adult entertainment is almost non-existent in both these cities and prefectures in general, which is fine. I could check some places out in one of these areas and report on them here if I relocate. I'm just curious about day to day life and costs in general in these areas.

I'm tempted to take the part time to full time job offer here in the Shizuoka area because one of the schools is nearby where a good friend of mine lives and I wouldn't need to quit any of the jobs I have going now until the full time starts early next year. I'm earning a decent amount each month from part time work, private students and online work I do with my brother, so I could afford to take the Shizuoka prefecture option as well.

P.S. Are there any interesting places to see in Nagoya in the evening or night? I'm just thinking about going to ロボットふぁーめん where they have the two robots that make your ramen for you. For some reason the address doesn't show up at google maps and I can't find an official website for the place either.

I did come across this map though: https://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230105/23031421/dtlmap/

Is this place still in business?

I think Kanazawa is good if you are really old or retarded and don’t know where you are anyway. But I think Shizuoka also sounds good because you have such a great history of success there already. Well, it looks like you really have a tough choice. Just kidding. I don’t know much about Mie or Ishikawa, but my guess is that they would be even more boring that Shizuoka.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I used to go to Kanazawa, Mie, and Nagoya a lot for business.

Tsu is the most interesting part of Mie. Or better said... the least not interesting part of Mie. Mie is a boring backwater. Nobody I met living there particularly enjoyed it.

Kanazawa is much better, but still quite slow paced, and it’s also quite isolated from any major cities. Great if you like fishing though - and they have a pretty good foreign community.

Nagoya - my favourite place in Nagoya is the outbound platform of the Shinkansen station.

IMO, Tsu is one of the most boring prefectural capitals in Japan. The only advantage I can think of is that you can rent an apartment cheap, under Y20K per month. In Tsu, you will feel Osaka is closer than the map suggests. There are frequent train services to Osaka and people there speak with a dialect similar to Kansai-ben.

Kanazawa is getting popular, attracting inbound tourists as well as local tech start-ups. I think the region has a potential to grow further. A downside is the weather. You have to live through gray and snowy winters there.

Hey TJB, whatever happened to your plan to move to Okinawa? Or your plan to be a farmer? Or your plan to move to Tokyo and sleep in the park?

Hey TJB, whatever happened to your plan to move to Okinawa? Or your plan to be a farmer? Or your plan to move to Tokyo and sleep in the park?

Well, I have been applying to numerous agriculture jobs online and even had a phone interview yesterday in all Japanese. The staff told me to wait for them to mail me the results of their job search to find me the type of agriculture job that is fitting for me based on the requests I explained to them over the phone.

Yes, the Okinawa idea will be a more long-term plan for the future, not anytime soon and the sleeping in the parks was me being a troll and feeding my curiosity about the topic in general.

IMO, Tsu is one of the most boring prefectural capitals in Japan. The only advantage I can think of is that you can rent an apartment cheap, under Y20K per month. In Tsu, you will feel Osaka is closer than the map suggests. There are frequent train services to Osaka and people there speak with a dialect similar to Kansai-ben.

Kanazawa is getting popular, attracting inbound tourists as well as local tech start-ups. I think the region has a potential to grow further. A downside is the weather. You have to live through gray and snowy winters there.

Yes, although Kanazawa would be a lot more interesting, I like how there are such low cost apartments in Tsu. I would be able to take short 1 - 2 day trips on my days off work to travel around Wakayama, Osaka, Kyoto, etc.

With Kanazawa, my rent would most likely be a little higher and although my day to day life would possibly be better, it is really isolated like Sudsy mentioned. I would most likely travel to places in Toyama and Fukui on my days off there.

Reactions: Ken1988
Well, I have been applying to numerous agriculture jobs online and even had a phone interview yesterday in all Japanese. The staff told me to wait for them to mail me the results of their job search to find me the type of agriculture job that is fitting for me based on the requests I explained to them over the phone.

Yes, the Okinawa idea will be a more long-term plan for the future, not anytime soon and the sleeping in the parks was me being a troll and feeding my curiosity about the topic in general.
How can you have an interview for an agriculture job? What did they ask you? Can you use a shovel? Do you like dirt?

Reactions: Durg50
How can you have an interview for an agriculture job? What did they ask you? Can you use a shovel? Do you like dirt?

It wasn't an interview directly with the farmers. They are too busy for that. The interview was with this company: 農家のおしごとナビ

They are like a staffing company specifically for people looking into agricultural jobs. They ask questions like: Are you looking for work in an indoor cultivation facility or do outdoor cultivation, harvest vegetables or fruits, work on a dairy farm, work on a pig farm (would I see your relatives?), do I want to do full time, part time, or seasonal work, will I need a room that is either free or cheap to rent out depending on the farm, etc.

Isn't that the site which had all it's customer data stolen last year?

The salary in the Japanese agriculture business is generally not very appealing. It is a little bit better in Hokkaido (around 1000 to 1100 y\h), if you'd like to move to Okoppe or Horokanai there are plenty of offerings.

The Kii peninsula is one of the most beautiful parts of Japan, except that shit hole called Osaka impinges on it. Ishikawa is also beautiful although the urban areas are typical ugly Japanese style. Generally, while both areas have dialects most of the locals can speak properly.

You will need a car and the sooner you start studying Japanese the better - you will absolutely need every word and kanji you learn.

Working in agriculture sounds like a disaster about to happen, the reputation of these labor companies is terrible.

Isn't that the site which had all it's customer data stolen last year?

The salary in the Japanese agriculture business is generally not very appealing. It is a little bit better in Hokkaido (around 1000 to 1100 y\h), if you'd like to move to Okoppe or Horokanai there are plenty of offerings.

It is funny you mention Hokkaido, because I have been hoping to get some experience doing some seasonal farm work for 3 month around a more local area to get a feel for farming to see if I like it and can see myself doing it more long term.

Hokkaido would be a place I would like to live long term in the future because I can avoid all the pollen when hayfever seasons kicks off in the spring.

As for this company having their customer data stolen last year...that is news to me and that sucks if that is the case...damn. I will definitely ask the staff about this issue, especially if they don't offer me any work.

Yes, a lot of agriculture work doesn't pay well, but some do. It just depends on the farm. I have been applying to a few more decent paying places, but with no agriculture experience in Japan, I will most likely need to take a lower paying job to get some experience in the literal field under my belt.

The Kii peninsula is one of the most beautiful parts of Japan, except that shit hole called Osaka impinges on it. Ishikawa is also beautiful although the urban areas are typical ugly Japanese style. Generally, while both areas have dialects most of the locals can speak properly.

You will need a car and the sooner you start studying Japanese the better - you will absolutely need every word and kanji you learn.

Working in agriculture sounds like a disaster about to happen, the reputation of these labor companies is terrible.

Yes, but whether I work in agriculture or not, there will be a disaster. Imagine if literally none of the young people took up agriculture work across the entire nation of Japan...that will be an even bigger disaster. I'm sure something like this is inevitable, but by offering to help with agriculture, I will at least feel that I'm helping trying to prevent such a disaster...but I'm just one man and most people couldn't give a shit less about agriculture work. In fact, most people hate this kind of work.

It is funny you mention Hokkaido, because I have been hoping to get some experience doing some seasonal farm work for 3 month around a more local area to get a feel for farming to see if I like it and can see myself doing it more long term.

Hokkaido would be a place I would like to live long term in the future because I can avoid all the pollen when hayfever seasons kicks off in the spring.

As for this company having their customer data stolen last year...that is news to me and that sucks if that is the case...damn. I will definitely ask the staff about this issue, especially if they don't offer me any work.

Yes, a lot of agriculture work doesn't pay well, but some do. It just depends on the farm. I have been applying to a few more decent paying places, but with no agriculture experience in Japan, I will most likely need to take a lower paying job to get some experience in the literal field under my belt.
They have pollen in Hokkaido just like everywhere else. It just starts later. Jesus Christ do your research. Farmers need to know this agriculture shit. Did you know that they recently passed a bill to bring in 345 thousand blue collar workers from Asia over the next five years? Many will work in agriculture. Your gonna be in the Japanese rice fields with Viets and Indonesians and they are going to kick your ass. I’d rather work at Nova. But I love you man. Just do it!

Your gonna be in the Japanese rice fields with Viets and Indonesians and they are going to kick your ass.

I hope many of those new visas will be given to young flexible girls from SE Asia and that they will be paid less than a decent wages. Then with a small fee they will be willing to do other things with my but than kick it.

I hope many of those new visas will be given to young flexible girls from SE Asia and that they will be paid less than a decent wages. Then with a small fee they will be willing to do other things with my but than kick it.

I wouldn't wager any money on that happening but we can all dream.

Reactions: Frenchy
@Frenchy take note. @MikeH said something meaner and more cold hearted that the Buta has ever said.

@Frenchy take note. @MikeH said something meaner and more cold hearted that the Buta has ever said.
Well if you two want to engage in such competition remember I can occasionally be the meanest of you all , so you won’t need to fight each other. :D

Reactions: MikeH

What? You were hoping people would kick ass, I was advocating making nice things to each other. Who is the bad pig now and forever?

Reactions: warubuta
Yes, but whether I work in agriculture or not, there will be a disaster. Imagine if literally none of the young people took up agriculture work across the entire nation of Japan...that will be an even bigger disaster. I'm sure something like this is inevitable, but by offering to help with agriculture, I will at least feel that I'm helping trying to prevent such a disaster...but I'm just one man and most people couldn't give a shit less about agriculture work. In fact, most people hate this kind of work.

Many people in Japan, young and old, are dreaming about making living out of agricultural work. You can see many vege garden farms all over Japan. You can find several magazines like this one in a bookshop easily
https://yasaidayori.jp

Your local DIY shops sell a lot of agricultural supplies, including fertilizer with detailed information on NPK proportions. As a hobby, it's booming, and people know that they cannot make decent profits out of it. Commercial farming is a different story. You need to manage a lot of things except for rice farming. Rice is probably the easiest one to do because it's not labor intensive, it's subsidized, it doesn't need extensive marketing, and it's free of replant failures. For vegetables and fruits, you need to manage crop scheduling, soil making, fertilizing, planting, harvesting..and fluctuating labor demand (needed a lot for harvesting but not so otherwise) for each process despite thin profit margins. Becoming an agricultural worker means that you are going to be exploited unless you set your goal to run your farm in the future.

They have pollen in Hokkaido just like everywhere else. It just starts later. Jesus Christ do your research. Farmers need to know this agriculture shit. Did you know that they recently passed a bill to bring in 345 thousand blue collar workers from Asia over the next five years? Many will work in agriculture. Your gonna be in the Japanese rice fields with Viets and Indonesians and they are going to kick your ass. I’d rather work at Nova. But I love you man. Just do it!

I didn't mean there is no pollen at all. It isn't as severe in some areas of Hokkaido and yes it starts later because the obvious snow that occurs in the winter. And you think the Viets and Indonesians are going to just say "yeah, fuck my job and life in Japan...I hate this white guy so much, that I'm just going to throw it all away to fight him!" lol

They will lose their visas and most likely go to jail if they randomly attack me.

I guess that is possible, but unlikely.

Last edited:
I wouldn't wager any money on that happening but we can all dream.

Wow, even Lukes hates me now too? Wtf, did I ever say rude to you?

So was MikeH's "mean" post deleted or are you actually MikeH? Maybe this is your second account.

Last edited:
Many people in Japan, young and old, are dreaming about making living out of agricultural work. You can see many vege garden farms all over Japan. You can find several magazines like this one in a bookshop easily
https://yasaidayori.jp

Your local DIY shops sell a lot of agricultural supplies, including fertilizer with detailed information on NPK proportions. As a hobby, it's booming, and people know that they cannot make decent profits out of it. Commercial farming is a different story. You need to manage a lot of things except for rice farming. Rice is probably the easiest one to do because it's not labor intensive, it's subsidized, it doesn't need extensive marketing, and it's free of replant failures. For vegetables and fruits, you need to manage crop scheduling, soil making, fertilizing, planting, harvesting..and fluctuating labor demand (needed a lot for harvesting but not so otherwise) for each process despite thin profit margins. Becoming an agricultural worker means that you are going to be exploited unless you set your goal to run your farm in the future.

Very good and informative post by possibly the only guy posting on this thread that doesn't wish I was dead. Nice man, thanks.