Which of these two areas would be better to work and live in?

Wow, even Lukes hates me now too? Wtf, did I ever say rude to you?

So was MikeH's "mean" post deleted or are you actually MikeH? Maybe this is your second account.
Lol, not at all. I meant that MikeH is probably dreaming about hot girls coming to work on the farm and that I don't think that's happening (as in I wouldn't wager money on it).

I didn't mean that I wanted you to get your butt kicked. I don't have any issues with you.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Very good and informative post by possibly the only guy posting on this thread that doesn't wish I was dead. Nice man, thanks.
Don’t be so melodramatic. Nobody wants you dead. 1) You are a good guy. 2) You are a great source of entertainment. In fact, even though your life seems to be so precarious and weird, to tell the truth, I actually envy you a little. Just a little. You are young, no responsibilities, Open and susceptible to random weirdness, etc. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Very good and informative post by possibly the only guy posting on this thread that doesn't wish I was dead. Nice man, thanks.
Come on now, old son.

It might surprise you to realize that most of us just want you to fare well.

At worst , I want you spending quality time on a therapist’s couch. Mostly because it will help you learn to become happy.

Come on now, old son.

It might surprise you to realize that most of us just want you to fare well.

At worst , I want you spending quality time on a therapist’s couch. Mostly because it will help you learn to become happy.

I have doubts about therapists ability to make people « learn to become happy »... but I agree that we’d rather see TJB well than dead. Yes , even me. And even when we had our tussles I never wanted him dead of course.
So hey TJB don’t worry, I know it’s hard for anyone to transition from a period of their life to another. As Buta suggested , count also your blessings , not just the curses.

Many people in Japan, young and old, are dreaming about making living out of agricultural work. You can see many vege garden farms all over Japan. You can find several magazines like this one in a bookshop easily
https://yasaidayori.jp

Your local DIY shops sell a lot of agricultural supplies, including fertilizer with detailed information on NPK proportions. As a hobby, it's booming, and people know that they cannot make decent profits out of it. Commercial farming is a different story. You need to manage a lot of things except for rice farming. Rice is probably the easiest one to do because it's not labor intensive, it's subsidized, it doesn't need extensive marketing, and it's free of replant failures. For vegetables and fruits, you need to manage crop scheduling, soil making, fertilizing, planting, harvesting..and fluctuating labor demand (needed a lot for harvesting but not so otherwise) for each process despite thin profit margins. Becoming an agricultural worker means that you are going to be exploited unless you set your goal to run your farm in the future.
Im amazed by the random knowledge that keeps popping up on this forum. Thank you.

Nagoya? Shizuoka? Mie? I have been living in Shizouka and moving around the area for several years. In my opinion, if you are looking for social and cultural activity, plus an active foreign community, the best option is Nagoya. It is also the most expensive. If you like tranquility, hiking... then Shizuoka is a good option (As the name implies: Shizu = Calm, Oka = Hill). I love Mie, its natural part, its temples, its food... to go on vacation.
Good luck in your new endeavor!

Last edited:
I'm still convinced TJB is writing a book, and in a few years he's going to be richer than all of us put together.

I used to visualize him as Mr Bean, and I don't mean the actual character, but more like the brilliance of Rowan Atkinson as a comedian.

He also has a bit of Karl Pilkington in him, which reflects the amazing talent of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

And @TokyoJoeblow while you may feel people on here hate you, and want you dead, most people here don't have the energy or inclination to have extreme feelings for people on a message board.

And finally, there is also a little Al Bundy in him also.

I'm still convinced TJB is writing a book, and in a few years he's going to be richer than all of us put together.

I used to visualize him as Mr Bean, and I don't mean the actual character, but more like the brilliance of Rowan Atkinson as a comedian.

He also has a bit of Karl Pilkington in him, which reflects the amazing talent of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

And @TokyoJoeblow while you may feel people on here hate you, and want you dead, most people here don't have the energy or inclination to have extreme feelings for people on a message board.

And the title of the Pilkington serie is....? o_O
(Why did you not mention it :D?)

There’s a little bit of Al Bundy in each and every one of us.

upload_2019-9-5_10-29-28.jpeg

Yeah, but worse than that, I see Homer Simpson every time I look in the mirror.

Well, you can't blame him. Everyone likes mirrors and doggie style.

Nagoya? Shizuoka? Mie? I have been living in Shizouka and moving around the area for several years. In my opinion, if you are looking for social and cultural activity, plus an active foreign community, the best option is Nagoya. It is also the most expensive. If you like tranquility, hiking... then Shizuoka is a good option (As the name implies: Shizu = Calm, Oka = Hill). I love Mie, its natural part, its temples, its food... to go on vacation.
Good luck in your new endeavor!

It is cool meeting another guy on this forum living in Shizuoka. Yes, I have hiked Mt. Fuji, Nihondaira, and various other trails. You are right about Shizuoka being a fitting name for the area haha.

Agreed. I always think TJB is Vonnegutque, or Kilgore Trout even at worst. I'm looking forward to reading your book, TJB!

So, an update on my new full-time agriculture job.

I started about a week ago and have really been enjoying it so far. My boss and all my co-workers are really friendly.

I remember someone on here mentioning that sometimes Japanese people will cough when they feel uncomfortable around certain people. I have a co-worker that used to cough like this around me the first couple days, but on about our third day working together, that coughing stopped. It could be that he just had a cold or he became more comfortable working with me and stopped what could have been a nervous cough.

I'm not saying all Japanese that cough are doing so because they are trying to be annoying to foreigners but this guy is genuinely friendly every time I talk with him.

I thought I would post something positive this time haha.

So I will be in Nagoya for a job interview. Their main office is in Nagoya, but the location I would be offered would either be in here in Shizuoka prefecture, which will only be part time until around February next year and then would become full time. My other option would be to take full time work in either Mie or Ishikawa prefecture, which would start right away. If I'm sent to work full time in Mie prefecture, it would most likely be Tsu City. If I'm sent to Ishikawa, it would be Kanazawa City.

I have been to Kanazawa City two times with different friends and really enjoyed it but that was as a tourist. The city did seem really peaceful and the locals seemed friendly for the most part. I noticed that the people in general dress a lot more modest and less trendy than the people here in Shizuoka City, which is most likely due to being much further away from Tokyo and its world of fashion.

I have traveled to Ise shrine but I was only there to see that place and didn't see anywhere else. Has anyone ever visited or lived in either Tsu City or Kanazawa City before?

I know the gaijin-friendly adult entertainment is almost non-existent in both these cities and prefectures in general, which is fine. I could check some places out in one of these areas and report on them here if I relocate. I'm just curious about day to day life and costs in general in these areas.

I'm tempted to take the part time to full time job offer here in the Shizuoka area because one of the schools is nearby where a good friend of mine lives and I wouldn't need to quit any of the jobs I have going now until the full time starts early next year. I'm earning a decent amount each month from part time work, private students and online work I do with my brother, so I could afford to take the Shizuoka prefecture option as well.

P.S. Are there any interesting places to see in Nagoya in the evening or night? I'm just thinking about going to ロボットふぁーめん where they have the two robots that make your ramen for you. For some reason the address doesn't show up at google maps and I can't find an official website for the place either.

I did come across this map though: https://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230105/23031421/dtlmap/

Is this place still in business?

I have no idea why people think Tokyo is a fashionable city..I feel much less pressure to dress up here when going out.

So, an update on my new full-time agriculture job.

I started about a week ago and have really been enjoying it so far. My boss and all my co-workers are really friendly.

I remember someone on here mentioning that sometimes Japanese people will cough when they feel uncomfortable around certain people. I have a co-worker that used to cough like this around me the first couple days, but on about our third day working together, that coughing stopped. It could be that he just had a cold or he became more comfortable working with me and stopped what could have been a nervous cough.

I'm not saying all Japanese that cough are doing so because they are trying to be annoying to foreigners but this guy is genuinely friendly every time I talk with him.

I thought I would post something positive this time haha.
Your neurotic paranoia has now progressed to the point where you think that anyone who doesn't cough at you might actually not be a racist gaijin hater and could possibly be "really friendly". Thats just great TJB. And I hope you are not working on a pig farm. Thats all I can say.

I have no idea why people think Tokyo is a fashionable city..I feel much less pressure to dress up here when going out.

If it isn't too probing to ask...do you live in Nagoya City or another city?

Your neurotic paranoia has now progressed to the point where you think that anyone who doesn't cough at you might actually not be a racist gaijin hater and could possibly be "really friendly". Thats just great TJB. And I hope you are not working on a pig farm. Thats all I can say.

Hey, at least I'm improving my life by putting in effort unlike my ex wife who just complains and wallows in her own self pity.

I don't really have an interest in working on a pig farm because I would need to explain my post history on here to your relatives.