Why So Cynical? (and Other Rants)

I'd have to say that's an excellent response.... I will have to try that! lol!
As regards to the chopsticks thing.......I've used the "Wow!!! You can use a knife and fork" whenever the opportunity arises when its deemed necessary......

Nicely done!
Yes, I think I will use that, too.

i never understood why anybody would be pissed off about the chop stick thing...I enjoy the compliment given the fact that I know so many buddies of mine who dont know how to use em. If I got pissed off from that, than I would feel like a cynical asshole

Reactions: Muku1
I'd say one thing that pisses me off is lack of common sense. however, I believe this isn't just a japanese thing, its a first world thing. Common sense is much more prevalent in the developing world I believe.

Reactions: GoldenDalton
Let's break this down a little, shall we?

Regarding the amazement factor on performing a simple task such as eating and speaking, it's just something we'll have to get used to. This society will never change because so many people believe that their culture here is unique and that it's viewed as impossible (by a majority) for a non-Japanese born human to survive here. Getting upset, irritated or bothered in any way won't solve anything. It certainly won't make you feel any better nor fix the core of the problem. It's just something we have to accept in this lifetime. Who knows, Japan may be a really changed country in another 100 years or so.

As for other foreigners complaining. This has two parts:

Part A - The resident held hostage: These are the people that are in Japan because their company has placed them here. Some of them are really well adjusted and others live in their little foreign-world bubble. People that complain that there is nothing to do here either don't have a hobby or don't have friends to go explore with. Admittedly, they may just be upset with their current situation. (Some of these expats have their families here while others are single and slumming it... that's a figure of speech before you get your panties in a bunch...)

Part B - The 'here-by-choice' transplant: These are the people who left their home country in search of a different experience or following a dream. Again, some of these people are well adjusted and do well here while others moan and complain about their position in life and in this country.

My overall opinion... some groups of people (mainly B) can simply pack their bags and head home if they are so miserable. The people in group A may have a chance to leave based on their rotation period, but they get a little bit of right to complain and moan if Japan really isn't their cup of tea.

Rarely do I venture to places where alcohol is served, but without fail, I'm sure I can walk into some local Hub bar and hear someone bitching and moaning about something related to Japan. So? Leave already if you're life is so miserable! Life's not better in your home country? Then, no one can save you...........

For myself, Japan is livable. I'm only really worried about the FX market and what that means for onshore and offshore investments.
Rarely would you hear me complain... If I'm complaining, it's because of how much we are getting gouged with airline fees/surcharges. (+ the reduction in baggage if I don't buy a first class or business class ticket. Economy? Ha, what a frigging joke. It was 'ok' when they at least let you take 2 bags at 23kg each....)

Ok, sorry... went on a tangent at the end there.

Very well said. I too don't understand the bitching about Japan and can't figure out why these people still hang around here. Have you notice how manjority of foreigners here are weirdos with issues? It's like they come here to escape years ago, found it refreshing to be 'special' and now caught in a situation where they are unhappy but know they become instant losers were they to return!

i never understood why anybody would be pissed off about the chop stick thing...I enjoy the compliment given the fact that I know so many buddies of mine who dont know how to use em. If I got pissed off from that, than I would feel like a cynical asshole

I'd say one thing that pisses me off is lack of common sense. however, I believe this isn't just a japanese thing, its a first world thing. Common sense is much more prevalent in the developing world I believe.

The fist post I've read from you that makes sense, can be understood and I totally agree with!

Reactions: jgirlcreeper

Maybe you have just arrived to Japan recently. I don't know. Trust me, over the years, it just gets old. It's not a compliment, it is a stereotype that foreigners can't perform on the same "complicated" level as native Japanese people.

Reactions: just4fun
Maybe you have just arrived to Japan recently. I don't know. Trust me, over the years, it just gets old. It's not a compliment, it is a stereotype that foreigners can't perform on the same "complicated" level as native Japanese people.

But they mean no harm when they say that, and if anything are being nice, think it's the thing to say or just naive. I really don't see why fireigners get annoyed or offended by this. It's not about us, it's them and how they react to things in life - just like the kawaii and oiishi reactions. Isn't this one of the interesting things bout the culture that forms all the positive aspects?

I get what you are saying though and sometimes have to remind my self of the reason why I came to Japan in the first place.

But they mean no harm when they say that, and if anything are being nice, think it's the thing to say or just naive. I really don't see why fireigners get annoyed or offended by this. It's not about us, it's them and how they react to things in life - just like the kawaii and oiishi reactions. Isn't this one of the interesting things bout the culture that forms all the positive aspects?

I get what you are saying though and sometimes have to remind my self of the reason why I came to Japan in the first place.

I'm just saying that it gets old. I grow tired of every guy and girl at the 7-11 asking if I want a spork or hashi. They never ask that to Japanese people. Overall, I still like Japan and enjoy staying here for many years more.

I'm just saying that it gets old. I grow tired of every guy and girl at the 7-11 asking if I want a spork or hashi. They never ask that to Japanese people. Overall, I still like Japan and enjoy staying here for many years more.

You must be really weird. lol....

I also get hashi with food that you usually eat with hashi. Sometimes I get a pasta dish from the convenience store and they usually give me a fork.
Maybe they've asked before, but I've forgotten.

Reactions: just4fun and JayL
You must be really weird. lol....

I also get hashi with food that you usually eat with hashi. Sometimes I get a pasta dish from the convenience store and they usually give me a fork.
Maybe they've asked before, but I've forgotten.

lol....I like to think I am weird in a generally funny and harmless way.
Nowadays, I prefer hashi with almost all meals in restaurants. I have both in my home.

And on on a Japanese forum someone is upset the shop staff offer them hashi instead of a fork with their pasta... lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmydr
What happened to just eating with your hands/fingers? :p

Reactions: Jimmydr
Ever been to an Ethiopian restaurant?
My favorite all time cuisine. Sadly the one I go to frequently was badly damaged and pretty much picked clean during the unrest. It's sad for sure. He's a great guy and deserves better. At least the Ethiopian church in St. Louis in there to help him rebuild.

Have you notice how manjority of foreigners here are weirdos with issues? It's like they come here to escape years ago, found it refreshing to be 'special' and now caught in a situation where they are unhappy but know they become instant losers were they to return!

I'm my opinion this is pretty damn accurate. The expats I've known have been pretty crazy. Finding this forum was a breathe of fresh air. In Fukuoka the scene is a little less weeaboo-ish (by my uninformed observation) but that was still in full swing.

I'm not certain id ever be able to settle in Japan permanently, seeing how it's affected people I've know fairly intensely. Of course these guys were messed up to start with, but watching them try to "go native" is pretty damn awful. Just strange how much it can affect someone.

I personally don't want to be an "insider." I'm fine with being an out-person, just as long as I'm treated with a basic modicum of tolerance and my property is respected. People can opine on my use of chopsticks and having four seasons or japanese babies in the womb for ten months all they want-no snot out of my nose.

But others obviously feel differently. Another year -long assignment would be right up my alley. Japan doesn't really seem like it wants to be an " immigration nation," so the benefits super long term seem questionable to me.

Of course these guys were messed up to start with, but watching them try to "go native" is pretty damn awful. Just strange how much it can affect someone.

I personally don't want to be an "insider." I'm fine with being an out-person, just as long as I'm treated with a basic modicum of tolerance and my property is respected. People can opine on my use of chopsticks and having four seasons or japanese babies in the womb for ten months all they want-no snot out of my nose.

But others obviously feel differently. Another year -long assignment would be right up my alley. Japan doesn't really seem like it wants to be an " immigration nation," so the benefits super long term seem questionable to me.

I'm happy to be an outsider, too. I would never "go native". I just want to improve my language skills more and also be respected. However, I'm satisfied with my origins and I will dress and present mgself accordingly.

I have seen people try to "go native" and it just looks so silly.

They have food in Ethiopia? :p

Despite those terrible TV spots where they show starving Ethiopians, yes they do have food. (I mean they bought some Airbus A380's.... so yeah, haha.)

I haven't been to one of those in awhile, but it's done with your hand (right hand) and using injera (a kind of bread) to pickup food with.

To be honest, the last time I had that cuisine was in Washington DC and it was actually quite good.

but......other than the eating style, I have no idea how 'authentic' the food really was.

I'm happy to be an outsider, too. I would never "go native". I just want to improve my language skills more and also be respected. However, I'm satisfied with my origins and I will dress and present mgself accordingly.

I have seen people try to "go native" and it just looks so silly.

There is something perverse about the way foreigners judge each other in Japan. I can't imagine the someone saying something similar about a foreigner living in Thailand, or Poland or Columbia, but in Japan it seems de rigueur. If you don't speak Japanese someone will give you shit about that, but if you are fluent someone will give you shit about "going native".

Reactions: Solong and Muku1
There is something perverse about the way foreigners judge each other in Japan. I can't imagine the someone saying something similar about a foreigner living in Thailand, or Poland or Columbia, but in Japan it seems de rigueur. If you don't speak Japanese someone will give you shit about that, but if you are fluent someone will give you shit about "going native".

I feel like you have misinterpreted what I meant by "go native", psd. I don't think something like speaking Japanese, or using chop sticks, is going native. I congratulate people who speak multiple languages and I continue work to improve my skill. To "go native" is not as simple and superficial as speaking more than 1 language. Also, I don't judge anybody for wanting to assimilate into any culture. I don't feel qualified to judge anybody, I don't care enough, and it would take more work than I care to put in. I don't mean to be offensive in anyway, but I'm not sure you properly understood what I meant by that. I'll can explain in depth, if you like.

Despite those terrible TV spots where they show starving Ethiopians, yes they do have food. (I mean they bought some Airbus A380's.... so yeah, haha.)

I haven't been to one of those in awhile, but it's done with your hand (right hand) and using injera (a kind of bread) to pickup food with.

To be honest, the last time I had that cuisine was in Washington DC and it was actually quite good.

but......other than the eating style, I have no idea how 'authentic' the food really was.

Have you had ethiopian food in Japan? I have heard good things about Ethiopian food.

In complete agreement.

1) Can't speak Japanese

The longer you stay in Japan, the more heavily people tend to judge you on this. You are given about a 1 year grace period, as the "honorable guest".

The problem is, Japanese and especially kanji is very difficult for non-Asian speakers, and mastering the language that quickly is very unlikely for normal people who aren't linguist.

To further aggravate the problem, many Japanese are of no help. 1) They want to practice English with you. 2) Refuse to reply in Japanese and FORCE the conversation to be in English. 3) Japanese women accuse you of being a playboy because you spoke 2 words of Japanese. 4) Various Foreign women label you like a sex-tourist and low-life if you are dating Japanese women without complete perfect mastery of Japanese. Taking their insecurities or failures out on foreign guys.

2) Somewhere In the Middle

You get all of the above and below

3) Can Speak Japanese

Then it can get got damn weirder. 1) Some Japanese act like your are an abnormal abomination and playboy for speaking their language. 2) Some Japanese act like you are the most fantastic thing on earth because you can understand them. Often going way overboard about it. 3) Some Foreign guys think you are an abnormal abomination that went native. 4) Some foreigners think you are outrageously the coolest guy ever because you can speak Japanese, and can translate for them. 5) Various foreign women label you Charisma man and a playboy. Somehow the hypocrisy of her speaking Japanese fluently and having several Japanese boyfriends doesn't count.

My opinion though, better to speak and master Japanese if you will be here longer than 1 year or plan on coming back.

Last edited: