Guest viewing is limited

Why so many ppl stink from the mouth in Japan?

My family is middle class/lower middle class and both me and my sibling had braces, as well as lots of dental work like regular check ups. It’s actually normal where I’m from, because there are lots of payment plans and insurance for it. I would say that most people have pretty nice teeth.

I think its definitely a cultural thing that the breakdown of payments is available and that it's a priority for so many families. But for people without health insurance basic dental care can be tricky.

All of my friends in high school had braces and great teeth; I grew up in an affluent area.

But in college that all changed; most people had never even been to am orthodontist

Not just in Japan IMO. Vets in particular.
Maybe.......just maybe but I had a real good one maybe 35 years ago in the States but all I've seen here are fuckin thieves!!!

I've heard though multiple sources that Dentists and Vets are some of the biggest crooks in Japan.

Even my dentist friends in Japan think the vets are crooks.

Even my dentist friends in Japan think the vets are crooks.
Don't give me this nonsense. You don't have any friends!

Vets in particular.
Small neighbourhood vets are usually not that bad, but the large vet clinics are absurdly expensive.

The worst I ever saw was the Nomura Veterinary Hospital in Nakano. Nomura the owner had a Ferrari and a Lamborghini parked in front, and two Ducati motorcycles behind them. Not even trying to hide how much he scalped people for.

Small neighbourhood vets are usually not that bad, but the large vet clinics are absurdly expensive.

The worst I ever saw was the Nomura Veterinary Hospital in Nakano. Nomura the owner had a Ferrari and a Lamborghini parked in front, and two Ducati motorcycles behind them. Not even trying to hide how much he scalped people for.
I’ve been to a couple of neighborhood vets in Tokyo, they were very helpful and yasashii.
Good for my back too, it’s hard to carry the chunky monkeys.
Aren’t large clinics with a glitzy facade usually after people’s money tho? Even the ones targeting humans :)

I think its definitely a cultural thing that the breakdown of payments is available and that it's a priority for so many families. But for people without health insurance basic dental care can be tricky.

All of my friends in high school had braces and great teeth; I grew up in an affluent area.

But in college that all changed; most people had never even been to am orthodontist

I’m American and grew up in a lower middle class family. I had semi-regular dental check ups but orthodontic work was a luxury my family could not afford. First thing I did once I started making money was fix my crooked teeth. $10,000 well spent. No regrets.

Reactions: C4ssandra
I have not seen mouthwash in many Japanese bathrooms. Listerine needs to start running some tarzan-boy mouthwash commercials.

Yes you see all those different brands, but Japanese still have terrible breath...so they must not be using mouthwash regularly. Japanese have this stellar reputation for being hygienic..? Yet they have worse teeth than brits.

Yes you see all those different brands, but Japanese still have terrible breath...so they must not be using mouthwash regularly. Japanese have this stellar reputation for being hygienic..? Yet they have worse teeth than brits.
The Japanese have a stellar reputation for making public spaces look clean. That's where it stops.

If they were hygienic, they would stop bathing in the same water as hundreds of other people and their bodily fluids in bath houses, stop getting sucked off raw at pink salons, stop pretending that they don't need to wash their hands because the toilet washes their asses for them. The list goes on. This does not really surprise me.

Reactions: NorthTriangle
From my experience, this is no worse or better than any other country I have been to.

Since wearing a mask quite reguarly im suddenly very aware of my own breath. Its not always great.

That's one reason why I always hated masks. The only time I ever wore them in all my years in Japan was while getting shitfaced in Umeda/Osaka Station area on Friday nights and wanted to try going incognito. A lot of my HS students would transfer through that hub after juku/clubs/etc. and I didn't want them seeing their teacher drunk, raising hell and possibly with his dick out while pissing on a wall. The one time a couple of my kids saw me and my buddies outside the Hankyu main terminal chugging bottles of Yellow Tail Chardonnay (or some other cheap shit, can't remember) and whistling at office ladies...word circulated and on Monday morning I was temporarily known as "Sekuhara Sensei." And after three or four hours at a Toriki or Za-Watami and putting on a mask, I never realized how horrible my breath was. It's a good thing the only person I ever ended up fucking on those kinds of nights was myself.