Will Living Separately From My Wife For A Time, Cause Problems With My Next Spouse Visa Renewal?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have come upon an idea where we don't divorce right away, but live separately. I'm considering the idea of moving to the Tokyo area with a good friend to share the cost of a cheap apartment for the purpose of finding more work. Here in Shizuoka, there aren't as many job opportunities because it is a much smaller city. My wife has a good secure job here that she doesn't want to just leave behind though. The idea would be to either divorce later down the road or stay married and have her move to the new apartment, only after I'm settled in (found a lot of work, made some money, etc.).

My wife and some people I know mentioned that while it is not illegal for married couples to live separately...it might lead to a rejection upon applying for a visa renewal next year? They mentioned that living apart would raise suspicions?

If I just explained my situation in writing and submitted it with the visa renewal application, would they be understanding?

Are there any married couples on here that are in the same situation or know anyone in this situation?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
My mom's coworker was caught into "immitation marriage". Her coworker monthly paid a japanese man to sign as her husband and renew her visa every couple of years but they don't live together at all. Nothing but business. Then one day immigration called around 11 pm into their registered address. The japanese man picked up and the immigration ask to talk to the girl. They did some investigations, Then they found out they live separately. Charged for immitation marriage, the woman was deported and permanently blocked in japan. Immigration in japan is pretty strict.

Last edited:
My mom's coworker was caught into "immitation marriage". Her coworker monthly paid a japanese man to sign as her husband and renew her visa every couple of years but they don't libe together at all. Nothing but business. Then one day immigration called around 11 pm into their registered address. The japanese man picked up and the immigration ask to talk to the girl. They did some investigations, Then they found out they live separately. Charged for immitation marriage, the woman was deported and permanently blocked in japan. Immigration in japan is pretty strict.
This could happen. You could still try it, they can't check on everybody (many Chinese and other non Japanese Asians get away with fake marriage, get citizenship and divorce right after) and they probably check less on people from certain countries (the US, rich European countries). But yeah, if you get caught this raises a lot of suspicion and even if you don't get deported you can not renew your spousal visa most likely. If you keep registered under your wife's address and they don't check on you, you could still renew your visa.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Husband and wives are separated due to work in Japan in their freaking thousands - ever heard of tanshinfunin? If Immigration ask for goodness sake do not mention divorce or marital problems! Just say that the employment situation in Shizuoka is poor and that if you and the good wife are going to start a family you want to get better established in the Tokyo-Yokohama area, and that once your wife has arranged her employment she will move up with you. Be sincere, show you are a solid citizen, wanting to settle and add to the population and be supportive of your hardworking wife: in other words, lie through your bloody teeth to get the visa. (ChrisT!!!! What am I sayIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!????) But if it is a Spouse Visa then chances are, once you divorce, it will only give you the duration of that left in Japan - what is it now, 5 years? If it is Permanent Residence I don't think they can take it off you unless you do something to get deported.

Husband and wives are separated due to work in Japan in their freaking thousands - ever heard of tanshinfunin? If Immigration ask for goodness sake do not mention divorce or marital problems! Just say that the employment situation in Shizuoka is poor and that if you and the good wife are going to start a family you want to get better established in the Tokyo-Yokohama area, and that once your wife has arranged her employment she will move up with you. Be sincere, show you are a solid citizen, wanting to settle and add to the population and be supportive of your hardworking wife: in other words, lie through your bloody teeth to get the visa. (ChrisT!!!! What am I sayIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!????) But if it is a Spouse Visa then chances are, once you divorce, it will only give you the duration of that left in Japan - what is it now, 5 years? If it is Permanent Residence I don't think they can take it off you unless you do something to get deported.

Of course I have heard about it. That is why I'm asking if this could be a reasonable option for me. What is alright to do for Japanese people is often seen as suspicious or even criminal if foreigners do it. From what most people are posting above, they seem to feel the same way...

I wouldn't mention anything about the marriage being on the rocks, nor would my wife. Do you happen to know any foreign/Japanese married couples that are currently living separately?

This could happen. You could still try it, they can't check on everybody (many Chinese and other non Japanese Asians get away with fake marriage, get citizenship and divorce right after) and they probably check less on people from certain countries (the US, rich European countries). But yeah, if you get caught this raises a lot of suspicion and even if you don't get deported you can not renew your spousal visa most likely. If you keep registered under your wife's address and they don't check on you, you could still renew your visa.

Well...wouldn't I have to register at the apartment I rent out in the Tokyo area if I split the rent with my friend? I don't think any landlord would be alright with the place being rented in only his name right? I supposed I could just say I'm only staying temporarily and try not to be noticed much.

If I'm limited to renting out a single room to avoid having to register in Tokyo, I guess the idea of sharing a place with my friend is out...

Well...wouldn't I have to register at the apartment I rent out in the Tokyo area if I split the rent with my friend? I don't think any landlord would be alright with the place being rented in only his name right? I supposed I could just say I'm only staying temporarily and try not to be noticed much.

If I'm limited to renting out a single room to avoid having to register in Tokyo, I guess the idea of sharing a place with my friend is out...

You have to register your address on your residence card within 2 weeks after moving places.

They almost certainly will not be understanding, especially if you are living in a different part of Japan. If you are going to do that, get work-based visa sponsorship ASAP.

I'm in no way trying to be argumentative...but why is this the case? I assume it is just because they generally don't trust all foreigners right?

If a Japanese husband goes to Tokyo to support a family they don't bat an eye, but if a foreigner does it, then everybody loses their minds lol. It seems strange that being honest and saying there are more work opportunities in larger cities is an unreasonable thing to explain to them...

If they can't understand that Shizuoka City is a tiny city with very limited work options for foreigners, then they are delusional.

You have to register your address on your residence card within 2 weeks after moving places.

I wonder what all those clever semi-legal Chinese people are doing then...maybe just piling up into little apartments without even registering at all? Maybe they are making fake cards? Who knows...

Would I have to register even if I were renting out a single room from someone in a private cash arrangement? I wouldn't be paying the landlord, but the person with the extra room.

I wonder what all those clever semi-legal Chinese people are doing then...maybe just piling up into little apartments without even registering at all? Maybe they are making fake cards? Who knows...

Would I have to register even if I were renting out a single room from someone in a private cash arrangement? I wouldn't be paying the landlord, but the person with the extra room.

I don't know how the Chinese etc doing that. Maybe there is a system behind it.

I guess you still have to because the address is stated on the back of your card and if someone stops you and the address is not there or you have to pick up something from the post office, sign papers or simple places where you have to show your ID, it can be troublesome.

they do bat an eye, because they suspect you of being married for visa reasons only (cant blame them, i guess)... i would also recommend getting another visa, though if i remember it right, you once mentioned that you cant... i would still try it, though... as far as i know, they can and will revoke your visa, in case they find out that you dont qualify anymore... usually they grant you 3 month to get a new one (or to change your status of residence)...

I'm in no way trying to be argumentative...but why is this the case? I assume it is just because they generally don't trust all foreigners right?

If a Japanese husband goes to Tokyo to support a family they don't bat an eye, but if a foreigner does it, then everybody loses their minds lol. It seems strange that being honest and saying there are more work opportunities in larger cities is an unreasonable thing to explain to them...

If they can't understand that Shizuoka City is a tiny city with very limited work options for foreigners, then they are delusional.
Because Japanese wouldn't do a fake marriage for a visa (not with another japanese at least) they have nothing to be suspicious about...

Especially if you live with your friend you could just rent the appartment on his name! It depends on the arrangement, but if the landlord doesn't live in the same building or check regulary, he wouldn't even have to know you are living there as well..
And you can just keep your wife's address as your official recidence. If the police would ask you something you can say that you live with your wife in Shizuoka but you are visiting and staying with your friend in Tokyo (just for a short time trip). Since you are actually considering to get your wife to come over to Tokyo and you have actually lived in the house in Shizuoka where she is still staying, i don't think it's even a lie.

Do you happen to know any foreign/Japanese married couples that are currently living separately?
Yes, a number. People who work in Tokyo but the family, for different reasons, does not and they go 'home' on weekends and holiday. One works in Tokyo and goes back and forth to Hokkaido.
There have been a number of examples posted but you and your wife were legitimately married, and living with her relatives. You going off to Tokyo to try to improve your job security as a married man certainly is not strange. You just have to be economical with the truth to achieve your aims.

You are not including the non happy Japanese woman in this equation.
You move to Tokyo, she refuses to sign your visa or to say you have separated is way easier because she has proof.
From you posts, knowing that you had affairs, her telling immigration you left her moving to Tokyo makes it easy.
As far as I remember you need her to submit your renewal papers.

Which would be more destructive in Tokyo?
Godzilla-image-godzilla-36697855-1180-882.jpg

Or
tjb.jpg

For once, I can give you some good news....

I personally know plenty of guys on spouse visas who are working in Tokyo with wives in other prefectures. As long as you're returning to Shizuoka regularly on the weekends, and can demonstrate such (keep receipts for train tickets), it's all golden. Immigration DOES understand that sometimes people have to live separately because of work issues - many immigration staffers are in exactly the same boat, as they routinely transfer them around the country to make sure they don't develop relationships with local foreigners.

Now some bad news - if you try to get up to the things you pull in Shizuoka in Tokyo, it's a whole different ball of wax, and you WILL end up in jail. Check yourself if you come to the big city - people here aren't as easily flustered.

Now some bad news - if you try to get up to the things you pull in Shizuoka in Tokyo, it's a whole different ball of wax, and you WILL end up in jail. Check yourself if you come to the big city - people here aren't as easily flustered.

We have got some good D.I.Y. stores up here though.

Reactions: R.O.B and split
Woh woh woh mr blow.
In your other thread on divorce you said your wife wanted money from you so she "wouldn't have to go out and get a real job", or words to similar effect.
Now she has a good secure job she doesn't want to leave.

I'd fix this anomaly before publishing your long awaited memoirs of your life in Japan.

FWIW, as most people have written, living apart from your wife for financial reasons does not have to be a major issue.

There's quite a lot of contradictions in these posts. Dude needs someone he can explain the truth to. It's not us. We are listening to what he's thinking at the time.

There's a "Wait for it" post in many of the threads. That post that makes the original post completely different to you.

I really can't stand the tension anymore. I'm almost to the point where I would pay to hear some of the episodes from the wife's point of view.

All those theories how things really started with this hole in the wall swirling around my head. Help!

Woh woh woh mr blow.
In your other thread on divorce you said your wife wanted money from you so she "wouldn't have to go out and get a real job", or words to similar effect.
Now she has a good secure job she doesn't want to leave.

I'd fix this anomaly before publishing your long awaited memoirs of your life in Japan.

FWIW, as most people have written, living apart from your wife for financial reasons does not have to be a major issue.

Memoirs? This is about as true as a Marvel comics plot line.

Lots of internal tension. His parody quality is slipping.......

Reactions: just4fun