Guest viewing is limited

Would You Date Someone Without A College Degree?

I have my doubts about that.
One of the things that Yale asked for in the essay in 35 words or less was who would you want to be from history. To me it is a bullshit question. I would have said myself and for a plethora of reasons. One of the reasons why is that you are just recreating what that person did, no feeling, no personality. I am essentially doing EXACTLY what some schmuck I choose did in history in order to make our timeline the same. Why not myself? Why not say what do you want to do or see yourself in that time period doing in order to change the course? No, these assholes asked who would I want to be and why? Fuck that I can turn on the history channel or watch some docupic about them and be transported into that time period. It is a bullshit ass question among other's they asked. Damn near everything they wanted on the essay was what have you done, where have you been, and what not, I can tell you based off of what I have done so far I can improve upon myself and others with the very ideas I have in my head. To me I don't agree with the essay questions and I find them very lacking and this is what a Ivy league wants to see in order to pick and choose who goes to their school? No, I don't agree with it, I do see some students who deserve to be there however I see a lot who don't, and that goes for other colleges that are not the cream of the crop.

I see some students who for lack of better words shouldn't be there and should have just taken a trade job instead of racking up debt. It is beyond frustrating and I have no one but myself to blame sadly. It is a BITTER truth that I have to swallow, however I would love to be taught by some of the greatest minds that in my opinion is wasted on those who are just there because it's better than flipping burgers. I have seen in it in Doctors who just became a doctor because of the title and give two shits about the patient, I have seen in it business men who don't lead but enforce and do not create a espirit de corps. I have seen it in people who just use their degrees just to get money and in the long run are not happy. It's sad. Cause I can tell you I have seen MOTIVATED enlisted professionals who like me are in the same boat who wish and want to become a Doctor or Nurse and some do, however that road is long and hard. I want to see it made easier for them. They deserve it because they want to be there. Once again I am not saying ALL, but what I am saying is that you have some students that are nothing more then a waste of space and a thank you to from the university for the money they are receiving.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
One of the things that Yale asked for in the essay in 35 words or less was who would you want to be from history. To me it is a bullshit question. I would have said myself and for a plethora of reasons. One of the reasons why is that you are just recreating what that person did, no feeling, no personality. I am essentially doing EXACTLY what some schmuck I choose did in history in order to make our timeline the same. Why not myself? Why not say what do you want to do or see yourself in that time period doing in order to change the course? No, these assholes asked who would I want to be and why? Fuck that I can turn on the history channel or watch some docupic about them and be transported into that time period. It is a bullshit ass question among other's they asked. Damn near everything they wanted on the essay was what have you done, where have you been, and what not, I can tell you based off of what I have done so far I can improve upon myself and others with the very ideas I have in my head. To me I don't agree with the essay questions and I find them very lacking and this is what a Ivy league wants to see in order to pick and choose who goes to their school? No, I don't agree with it, I do see some students who deserve to be there however I see a lot who don't, and that goes for other colleges that are not the cream of the crop.

I see some students who for lack of better words shouldn't be there and should have just taken a trade job instead of racking up debt. It is beyond frustrating and I have no one but myself to blame sadly. It is a BITTER truth that I have to swallow, however I would love to be taught by some of the greatest minds that in my opinion is wasted on those who are just there because it's better than flipping burgers. I have seen in it in Doctors who just became a doctor because of the title and give two shits about the patient, I have seen in it business men who don't lead but enforce and do not create a espirit de corps. I have seen it in people who just use their degrees just to get money and in the long run are not happy. It's sad. Cause I can tell you I have seen MOTIVATED enlisted professionals who like me are in the same boat who wish and want to become a Doctor or Nurse and some do, however that road is long and hard. I want to see it made easier for them. They deserve it because they want to be there. Once again I am not saying ALL, but what I am saying is that you have some students that are nothing more then a waste of space and a thank you to from the university for the money they are receiving.

It appears that you are confused about the purpose of college application essay prompts. Most universities intentionally use ambiguous or bland prompts to see how the applicant will respond.

It is to weed out the people who don't speak in their own voices and relate the question to themselves.

If asked about what person in history would want to be, you could make it about yourself if you wanted.

As long as you were creative and conveyed a coherent message to them, it would probably fly.

However, you would have to dramatically improve your writing skills. You aren't even writing at a high school level here.

Reactions: Wwanderer
It appears that you are confused about the purpose of college application essay prompts. Most universities intentionally use ambiguous or bland prompts to see how the applicant will respond.

It is to weed out the people who don't speak in their own voices and relate the question to themselves.

If asked about what person in history would want to be, you could make it about yourself if you wanted.

As long as you were creative and conveyed a coherent message to them, it would probably fly.

However, you would have to dramatically improve your writing skills. You aren't even writing at a high school level here.

Like I said, I am fully aware of my own short comings. To me I just find it the whole questioning to be bullshit.

Some of the smartest people I have met were actually self-thaught. I'm not really interested what kind of education someone has, but try to find out how the person really is. Also, thinking back to my days at the university, there were so many people there who somehow got a degree but had no real glue about life.

I'm currently in Singapore and twice this week I've had women unmatch me on Tinder as soon as they heard I was not university educated.

Was in a friendly chat with the second of them and as soon as I told her that I was a tradesman she replied "I don't talk to bogans" (Google "bogan" if you don't know the meaning.) and unmatched me. I was actually quite offended at the slur. What would she say if a guy said to her "I don't talk to Asians"?

My view is that many people's identity is tied to their educational achievements and career. Take a look through a couple of dozen women's profiles on Tinder and count how many have no information about themselves barring their university education and or job. Lots.

Perhaps this obsession with university education is their way of looking for a guy that's a high income earner. If that is the case they're looking in the wrong place because back home in Australia most tradesman earn well above the national average.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! Yes, I admit this is a social problem in Singapore. Education is still very highly correlated to perceived class levels etc, it is not common for an older family member to emphasise to you how important grades are in Singapore, and that you can create a better future with higher education. While that is not untrue, it's a really toxic way to go about it. I personally really abhor this sort of thinking in my country.

Have met so many people that have my admiration and adoration that don't have a college degree, but they are so intelligent in other ways. Once again, I'm really sorry this happened to you in my country.

I would date a girl who has never seen a school building from the inside, as long as she is nice and decent.

What most people like to call "education" is highly overrated, especially here in Japan. I work with many guys who are proud of their university and grades and whatnot, but their level of knowledge about the world is on the level of a 6-year-old.

I even go for the contrary, I have zero interest in girls who think they are special by only "dating guys with a degree". I do have a degree myself, but this is something I don't wanna talk about on a date.

Last edited:
I would date a girl who has never seen a school building from the inside, as long as she is nice and decent.

What most people like to call "education" is highly overrated, especially here in Japan. I work with many guys who are proud of their university and grades and whatnot, but their level of knowledge about the world is on the level of a 6-year-old.

I even go for the contrary, I have zero interest in girls who think they are special by only "dating guys with a degree". I do have a degree myself, but this is something I don't wanna talk about on a date.

I'm not sure where you would find a girl who has never been inside a school before. Maybe you could find one frozen in a block of ice at the bottom of a glacier or in a Amazon River tribe.

Not to worry, I realize that you are talking in extremes to make an extreme point.

Balance is needed with most things in life.

Over emphasis on college education isn't wise, but totally writing it off and claiming it isn't an important factor to how a person functions in society is absurd.

From employment to shaping aspects of one's personality and worldview, education has an impact.

Never wrote anything off.

I said:

a) I don't care about a girl's educational background before dating her.
b) What people call education is overrated, especially in Japan.

Never wrote anything off.

I said:

a) I don't care about a girl's educational background before dating her.
b) What people call education is overrated, especially in Japan.

With all the hyperbole removed from your earlier post, your point sounds reasonable.

Reactions: Garcian
Since 95% are "anti-education", I'll bite. If I were online dating and hypothetically going through thousands of profiles, I'd make education a requirement. In the states, maybe make a masters degree the minimum.

Dumb or ignorant people drive me nuts. Of course you don't necessarily gain wisdom from university, but there is an undeniable correlation.

The thing for me is, since I am living in Japan, I mostly date Japanese girls. Until now, those who went to university usually complained about their universities.

Other than that, I have had a far better time talking to those who have spend some time abroad, or have interesting hobbies that broaden their mind, or are in general interested in history, politics and overall learning something about the world.

Not trying to downgrade university by any means, but here in Japan? Of course I don't want my teeth fixed by someone who hasn't studied, but for the decision whether to date a girl or not, it makes no difference to me.

Of course I don't want my teeth fixed by someone who hasn't studied, but for the decision whether to date a girl or not, it makes no difference to me.
Exactly. While it teaches people a very specialized skill (which is often not interesting to talk about with people who dont study the same thing) it doesn't make people more free thinking spirits.
I would even say that before i'd date some posh university boy, he'd have to show me he is not stuck up. When i was in my young teens i had this boyfriend who was studying on a high level in school, and he always acted like he was better than everyone else and like i could not understand the same things as him because my level was closer to medicore. That kind of behavior is particularly close minded. Plus some university kids are so pampered, i rather have someone with some adventureous life experience, thats more interesting to talk about for me.

If schools were making people better, then the world would be almost perfect ! Considering the time we are now spending in them...
But lately i wondered if it is not the opposite.. so... i would date anyone who surprises me, without paying attention to the schoolification level of the person.

I don't have a degree, but i am not stupid. So maybe i am biased but as long as we can have deep conversations it doesn't matter. I know plenty of ignorant fucks with masters degrees and plenty of awesome people with GED. Some of us have to survive so education is sacrificed unfortunately, but there is plenty of self education on the internet (the smart way, not the alternative facts way) so yeah. ._.; ugh im embarassed haha ^^;

these people are so proud of their bodies they don't realize they are going to die.

Uhhh...you do realize that all people die no matter what their bodies are like or how they feel about it, right? :rolleyes:

-Ww