Guest viewing is limited

Xmas is here 2018

It’s the most wonderful time of the year....

Attachments

• CADFEE71-604A-4922-B414-E812719D6BE5.jpeg
    CADFEE71-604A-4922-B414-E812719D6BE5.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Some may not like it but I feel Tokyo and the surrounding cities have the best xmas lights displays around the world. Just my 2cents.

Reactions: Simonka
Ah ah, excellent !
I wonder which shop did that

That picture is from an artist who made a series based on urban myths.

I have met people who claimed they have seen that kind of display in a shop window for real but nobody has had any pictures nor they have remembered exactly where or when it was. So until further proof appears I am calling this one bullshit.

I have met people who claimed they have seen that kind of display in a shop window for real but nobody has had any pictures nor they have remembered exactly where or when it was. So until further proof appears I am calling this one bullshit.

Yeah I suspected same, but kinda hoped it was true

Reactions: MikeH
Reactions: MikeH
4th thursday of november. I always take the entire week off :-D

Except for the Canadians, they have their own Thanksgiving earlier. Thanksgiving Day in Canada is on the second Monday of October. Perhaps that's because of the colder climate up in the Great White North?

Except for the Canadians, they have their own Thanksgiving earlier. Thanksgiving Day in Canada is on the second Monday of October. Perhaps that's because of the colder climate up in the Great White North?

Exactly. Earlier harvest.

yes, but my original recommendation of getting Japan involved in it was based on US thanksgiving because it falls between Christmas and Halloween, it would give us another couple weeks without "last christmas" blaring over every convenience store PA system.

yes, but my original recommendation of getting Japan involved in it was based on US thanksgiving because it falls between Christmas and Halloween, it would give us another couple weeks without "last christmas" blaring over every convenience store PA system.
And « All I want for Xmas is you »

Reactions: SugoiBoy

That’s certainly a more plausible explanation.

Xmas was never I thing where I come from but I like the decoration in the streets and I don't care if it's another example of acculturation in Japan.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Black Friday has begun to be a thing for some retailers in Japan. Strange, but, hey, any excuse to get people to shop.

Reactions: Simonka
Black Friday has begun to be a thing for some retailers in Japan. Strange, but, hey, any excuse to get people to shop.

My local Aeon had Black Friday specials on Black Angus beef. My freezer is full. So is my belly.

Hey, I've noticed that the whole "Christmas chicken" thing in Japan is no longer limited to KFC. Now places like MOS Burger and FamilyMart have gotten into the act.

Hey, I've noticed that the whole "Christmas chicken" thing in Japan is no longer limited to KFC. Now places like MOS Burger and FamilyMart have gotten into the act.

Small butcher shops used to sell roast chicken legs for Christmas until the early 90s, which is a lost tradition masked by the rise of KFC. So, it's not new IMHO. Just most of those small butcher shops had gone.

Is it just me, or are Christmas cakes in Japan overpriced?
Depends on where you're getting it from and how it is. An average "Cheap" cake is going to be in the ¥2,000 range and they're....
Fine.
I mean go with a chocolate one if you're going cheap because at least the level of sugar will mask the lower quality, cheap shortcakes are just super bland.
Expensive cakes can run anywhere from ¥5,000~20,000 (And honestly, it's hit or miss on if they're even good or not, I got a 10,000 cake for my birthday last year from my roommate, you could tell it was quality because the whip was really good, real heavy cream, very fresh tasting, but the shortcake was just... egh.)
((Ok I guess I just don't really like strawberry shortcake to begin with, it's just too bland for me, when I make it I load on extra strawberries and add powdered sugar to the middle icing to just give it some added sweetness, but storebought shortcake no matter where they're from are like eating a can of whipping cream, it's just not good.))

But even outside of Christmas season this is your general range of what cakes cost.