Guest viewing is limited

Advice From Those Who are Close or Native Level in Japanese?

Yoshida0792

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I'm basically around intermediate level in Japanese and I'm trying to look for possible ways to just get that small edge up in the language. So far my level allows me to hold basic conversations and communicate with a wide range of services in Tokyo. Any advice from those who have roamed the same path would be much appreciated! I'd like to reach a point where I can speak without an accent too since I'm also tired of people asking my nationality on the phone when I speak Japanese lol

Reactions: Gina and leducul
I'd like to reach a point where I can speak without an accent
I wouldn't worry about this so much, it's less and less important and you're always going to face some version of this "where are you from?" nonsense.
It's more important that you can clearly communicate and ease the process.

If you really want this, IMHO, the best way to become more native is to make Japanese friends of the same sex and speak nothing but Japanese with them and you'll begin to pick-up on their speech and mannerisms that could improve your 'nativeness'.

I have zero desire to sound like a native, so I don't pursue this path on my own. I don't want to blend in that much...

Don't worry about sounding native - unless you started studying in your childhood, you'll never completely lose your accent in Japanese (or any other language), and you'll always have a slightly odd grasp of nuance.

Just work on being understandable, and increasing your vocab.

So I'm basically around intermediate level in Japanese and I'm trying to look for possible ways to just get that small edge up in the language. So far my level allows me to hold basic conversations and communicate with a wide range of services in Tokyo. Any advice from those who have roamed the same path would be much appreciated! I'd like to reach a point where I can speak without an accent too since I'm also tired of people asking my nationality on the phone when I speak Japanese lol

I'm going to deduce from your username that you're one of those very pitiable, rudderless white dudes that shows up in Japan with fervent dreams of being a samurai or, at least, a genuine Japanese. The fact that you're actually IN Japan and asking this question speaks volumes, so allow me to offer you some pointers and a hard truth.

1) You will NEVER pass for Japanese. Not on the phone, and not anywhere else. You will NEVER remove all traces of the accent, no matter how hard you try. Period.

2) More importantly, why the fuck would you want to? You do understand that your only value in Japan is being a gaijin??? That's the only thing that makes you special, homeboy....because it's not your 4in dick or Magic The Gathering collection. Your goal should be to attain a level of command where you can get through most every life (and p4p) situation yet still be obviously a foreigner, which will elicit the ideal squeals and squawks that come with observing a white guy who can string together cohesive Japanese sentences and that, in turn, can lead to you getting laid.

One of my buddies was on a return flight to KIX and next to him was this fat white douchebag dressed up like a fucking Jedi, who declared to my buddy that he was relocating to Japan (NOVA teacher, go figure) to "become a samurai." Please, please, please...don't be that guy.

well, practice shadowing is one way.

you can take a look at dogen pitch accent course.

Between full time job and other responsibilities/ hobbies, it is easier said than done. And many people will talk you out of it, like how many people saying you dont need japanese and you can survive with english only.

I am planning to allocate some time and fund chatting with native on japatalk. Or maybe try to find some japanese only club on meetup.

nihongo jozu desune hurt more and more when you lived in japan for more than 5 years yet still speak less than elementary

Last edited:
Reactions: Gina and Alice
I'm also tired of people asking my nationality on the phone when I speak Japanese
Keep what you say short and there's less there to tell if you're not Japanese.

To improve, do what TAG manager suggests and hang out with Japanese guys and copy how and what they say. If that's too weird, find a drama starring a Japanese actor you like and just repeat and mirror his lines over and over.

If that's too weird, find a drama starring a Japanese actor you like and just repeat and mirror his lines over and over.
This direction works, but try it on more serious dramas/slice of life, at least those lines are used daily.

Reactions: mit2UM
1) You will NEVER pass for Japanese. Not on the phone, and not anywhere else. You will NEVER remove all traces of the accent, no matter how hard you try. Period.

Calling bullshit on this one. Though I give you as much as this would apply to anyone speaking English as their mother tongue. In my four decades in Tokyo I have met only one American who could pass as a native Japanese on the phone. Admittedly I never thought to ask Robert has he successfully ordered deliheru. I was guessing that as a professor in UTokyo the deliheru girls call you.

2) More importantly, why the fuck would you want to? You do understand that your only value in Japan is being a gaijin???

Sadly there is much less value in that than in the Good Ol' Times. Those times it was actually better not to speak any Japanese, freshly imported things like boyfriends had more value.