American tourist in Tokyo for the New Year

smedsnow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an American, aged mid 20s, headed to Japan for vacation with friends in December-January for ~3 weeks, and planning on visiting a soapland once. Taking it as an opportunity to lose the v-card and move on. I'll be traveling a lot inside the country, so my free time where I can split from the group will be in Tokyo a few days before and after the new year; hopefully that doesn't make scheduling a nightmare. I've read plenty of reviews and have a list of providers to choose from (Yes Kaoru is on it). Unfortunately my Japanese is effectively non-existent, so that also limits things. I will also be in Osaka, but I'm not really interested in Tobita, and I don't know if I'll have time to split off there either.

Being new to P4P, this forum has been an invaluable resource. I'm the type that like to plan and avoid unpleasant surprises, so the thoroughness is very nice.
But I've also picked up a lot about "how Japan works", and "being a foreigner in Japan". Reading what the experienced contributors are saying about little day-to-day things is very interesting, and helps contextualize things about attitudes and culture that I've encountered working for a Japanese company, and exposed me to a lot of things I had no idea about. Having lived overseas (central Europe) for an extended period before, I appreciate the perspectives of these contributors as I can compare them to my own experiences of seeing tourists do stupid shit. Though there are obviously a lot of differences, since I don't know the language or look native like I did before, as well as the general attitude towards foreigners.
And from doing those comparisons, it finally got through my skull that I need to learn some Japanese! I don't expect much, but I'll have ~two months of diligent study before I go. Even my very, very small ability is already useful at work, so I'll probably continue it after the trip. I'm kicking myself for not starting sooner (I've thought about it plenty, but never started. All my other serious language learning was in immersion, and I don't have that for Japanese). Better now than never.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks to all the contributors. This community has been very helpful. If I can put together a review of value at the end of this, I'll be sure to share it.
Don't really have any questions, or need recommendations at this point, but I would appreciate any advice thrown my way.

I need to learn some Japanese! I don't expect much, but I'll have ~two months of diligent study before I go
Great decision - that will put you light years ahead of a lot of of the visitors that arrive here, and not just in the P4P arena. You'd be surprised how much useful language you can actually learn in a couple of months if you apply yourself.

As a backup, the Google Translate app is VERY useful for reading signs and menus (use the camera function).

Don't use Google for translating anything else, it's generally garbage for actual translation in any Asian language. DeepL or ChatGPT are much, much better.

Reactions: Danbo
Google translate camera function is also good for words you have no idea how to pronounce because it shows you the romaji. Of course there's still the risk that Google fucks up and uses a different way to spell one kanji but hey, no risk no fun!

Reactions: Alice and smedsnow
Google translate camera function is also good for words you have no idea how to pronounce because it shows you the romaji. Of course there's still the risk that Google fucks up and uses a different way to spell one kanji but hey, no risk no fun!
True... I've found myself doing translations in deepL and then pasting it into google translate to see the romanji

Reactions: smedsnow
That phrase book is actually what got the snowball rolling funnily enough. But don't worry I'm not burning myself out on it, I was looking for something to do, and have settled into a healthy pace.

Deepl >> Google translate when it come to Japanese.
DeepL or ChatGPT are much, much better.
Noted. And it looks like the DeepL app also has camera functionality? I'll have to test it.

Noted. And it looks like the DeepL app also has camera functionality? I'll have to test it.
New addition - just tested, it works pretty well.

Update, kinda: these fucks at Google. You used to be able to go to Google maps, pick a restaurant, check the menu and it gave you the option of translating the menu inside the app itself. That is no longer possible! That was my lifesaver last year :mad:

Everything worked out! It was a great experience! Everything I imagined and more!
The provider was amazing (make of that what you will). I have half a review typed up, I’ll try to finish it.

Everything worked out! It was a great experience! Everything I imagined and more!
The provider was amazing (make of that what you will). I have half a review typed up, I’ll try to finish it.
Just one? weak

jk glad it went well

• Haha
Reactions: smedsnow
I've written 5 full pages at this point (and I'm not done), but it's ended up being a reflection on my experience. I could try to cut it down into a readable review (there's a lot of fat to cut), but being that I am not an experienced punter, I don't know how useful it would be for most people here. It would probably end up very non-standard and talk about my experience as a virgin, having little idea what is going on. Admittedly, that's exactly the kind of review I wanted to read, but it's scarce for obvious reasons.

And looking at the activity since I left, I don't know if it's necessary at this point. I met Moe at Hisyo. She has six reviews already (not Kaoru-tier, but still more than most), with almost all of those being in the past three months, two being posted between when I booked and my appointment. My experience was a bit different (because I was a timid cherry boy), but still very similar to all other posted reviews, and the conclusion is the same: a wholehearted recommendation.

Idk why I'm making excuses, I guess I'm just wary of posting for the sake of posting. If anyone wants the review I can cut it up and submit it.