Antiknock Hardcore Show

FrankCompton

TAG Member
Reaction score
Im planning on going to see a show at Antiknock.
Though I've gone to tons of Punk/Emo/Hardcore shows in Canada, this will be my first in Japan and also my first time IN Japan.

Looking for any Tips, heads up, pointers, for attending the show there.
(i.e. Should I get there before the doors open? Is it gonna get boiling hot down there? Should I bring a backpack? How do they usually sell merch there? Does staff speak English? Are people friendly to Gaijin etc etc)

Much appreciate! I'm super excited for the show!

Im planning on going to see a show at Antiknock.
Though I've gone to tons of Punk/Emo/Hardcore shows in Canada, this will be my first in Japan and also my first time IN Japan.

Looking for any Tips, heads up, pointers, for attending the show there.
(i.e. Should I get there before the doors open? Is it gonna get boiling hot down there? Should I bring a backpack? How do they usually sell merch there? Does staff speak English? Are people friendly to Gaijin etc etc)

Much appreciate! I'm super excited for the show!
Let me throw a few answers to ur questions.
Shows in Japan start on time so don't be late unless the opening acts has no interest to you. Getting there early is a waste of time.
Where's down there? boiling hot? You mean the venue? probably have A/C on
backpack? depends.....you can go in with it.....
souvenirs and other goodies will be in typical areas just like home.
speak english...good luck. they will more than likely be cool to you....rock shows are rock shows unless ur religious beliefs think it's cool to grab woman and do nasty shit to them but so far that hasn't happened in Japan (knock on wood)

you can show up whenever you like... antiknock isnt really huge, anyway... its just come and enter and you dont have to enter according to your ticket number, as you have to at other concerts...
i forgot if its been hot, but as far as i remember, ive been there in autumn anyway... japanese seriously love their aircons on max, so in case there is one, it shouldnt be too hot...
they had locker rooms there, as far as i remember and even if not, no one is going to keep you from bringing a backpack..
i got no idea if the staff speaks english, but i guess they do, since foreigners usually go there and they got foreign bands playing as well... dont worry, communication shouldnt be any problem...

rxr08: The shows are listed on the Antiknock site. There are a lot.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
When I said "down there" I mean the venue cause it's in a "basement". I had no idea the Japanese love their Aircon so that's a bonus. I'm used to small crowded sweaty shows where you can cut the air with a knife it gets so thick.

I have no intention of grabbing anyone or doing nasty shit with anyone. Lol.

I just wanna enjoy these great sounding bands in a foreign country and maybe meets some people that share my love for the music.

Oh! ...and buy some sweet merch.
I wanna support the bands.

When I said "down there" I mean the venue cause it's in a "basement". I had no idea the Japanese love their Aircon so that's a bonus.

Last show I went to was in a basement and it was ice cold; but once things heated up on stage... it was quite hot. Each venue varies...

Last show I went to was in a basement and it was ice cold; but once things heated up on stage... it was quite hot. Each venue varies...

Yeah that's true. It seems like the temps are pretty high in Tokyo right now so it's not like I'm gonna bring a jacket

Going to Antiknock on the 9/16 :LOL:

Should I get there before the doors open?
If you like to wait in front of a closed door, yes. Otherwise no. If there's a band you like, arriving during the interval between door opening and curtain rising is nice, you have time to chat with them (unless they're the first to go on stage).
Is it gonna get boiling hot down there? No, the opposite.
Should I bring a backpack? As you like. If you feel like dancing they have a few lockers where you can store it, but seriously, it's japan so you don't even need them. When i go near the stage for the perf of the band i came to see, i just leave my handbag along a wall.
How do they usually sell merch there? A table in the back of the livehouse.
Does staff speak English? No idea, but you won't need to talk much with them, they'll just ask you for which band you come when you buy your ticket.
Are people friendly to Gaijin? Yes, if you act nicely.

Going to Antiknock on the 9/16 :LOL:

Should I get there before the doors open?
If you like to wait in front of a closed door, yes. Otherwise no. If there's a band you like, arriving during the interval between door opening and curtain rising is nice, you have time to chat with them (unless they're the first to go on stage).
Is it gonna get boiling hot down there? No, the opposite.
Should I bring a backpack? As you like. If you feel like dancing they have a few lockers where you can store it, but seriously, it's japan so you don't even need them. When i go near the stage for the perf of the band i came to see, i just leave my handbag along a wall.
How do they usually sell merch there? A table in the back of the livehouse.
Does staff speak English? No idea, but you won't need to talk much with them, they'll just ask you for which band you come when you buy your ticket.
Are people friendly to Gaijin? Yes, if you act nicely.

Great advice! Thank you!

I'll be back in Canada by the 16th so I'll miss that show.

The only reason why I think I'd need a backpack would be to hold the shirts and CDs I may end up buying. I usually don't wear backpacks and don't really like wearing them.

I don't know if I've ever been in Antiknock and not been sweating my balls off, haha... doesn't matter how high they turn the A/C when Gauze or someone is playing and the place is packed - you can see dudes glasses fog up.

If you're just going to buy merch I'd say leave the bag at home and just buy something from the 7-11 on your way home and throw your stuff in the bag. Shows in Tokyo are generally packed and having to lug around a backpack the whole time or pay for a coin locker kind of sucks. People usually drop bags and stuff towards the back/side of the venues and while you usually (*USUALLY*) don't have to worry about anyone stealing your stuff there's a decent chance it could get stepped on accidentally.

By the by if you're looking for other good punk shows in Tokyo you might want to check out Earthdom in Okubo (mainly hardcore), 2 Man Volt in Higashi Koenji or Chop in Ikebukuro. Shinjuku LOFT / Shimokita Shelter also have all kinds of shows but if there are punk bands playing its almost guaranteed they'll be good.

Looks like Melt Banana is playing 2 Man on the second and the show on the 3rd should be pretty good too (like a weird V-kei punk / hardcore mashup show). Meaning and some other really good HC/thrash bands are playing Earthdom on the 10th.