Any Snooker Fans?

RIDER 00

TAG Member
Reaction score
Time for another one of my random posts, but are there any snooker fans out there on TAG? I like billiards and watching snooker is something that's both relaxing and awe-inspiring because of the level of skill that is needed to sink those shots.

Respect to Ronnie O'Sullivan, but I'm more of a Marco Fu or John Higgins fan.

Last edited:
I use to play occasionally at Centrepoint when I lived in London. I was not good, neither of my pals...it usually took a looong time to finish a match. Back then I loved watching Ronnie O’Sullivan and Stephen Hendry.

I use to play occasionally at Centrepoint when I lived in London. I was not good, neither of my pals...it usually took a looong time to finish a match. Back then I loved watching Ronnie O’Sullivan and Stephen Hendry.

I used to love how the players used to wear the traditional outfits even as late as the early 2000s - black vests, white shirts, and bowties. Now, it's a lot more casual, but I like the classier regal age better. Players like Stephen Hendry would still wear the traditional attire even after the other players let loose.

Back in the late 70s I used to watch snooker as a teenager on a small black and white portable in my bedroom (it was quite posh to have more than one TV back then).

Although I don't remember it, the regular snooker commentator for the BBC throughout those years was a guy named Ted Lowe and he is well remembered for a number of phrases including this one:-

"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3629569.stm

He did also have some other unfortunate turns of phrase, for example, when the snooker player Fred Davies tried to get a long shot by resting his leg on the table he said "He's getting on a bit and having trouble getting his leg over"

For context, "getting your leg over" is old-fashioned British/English slang for having sex.

Reactions: Ken1988
I used to love how the players used to wear the traditional outfits even as late as the early 2000s - black vests, white shirts, and bowties. Now, it's a lot more casual, but I like the classier regal age better. Players like Stephen Hendry would still wear the traditional attire even after the other players let loose.

Yes. I don't know why but even in the late 90s somehow I had my impression that Ronnie O'Sullivan was casual and Stephen Hendry was formal.

Snooker is great,and the longer table, tighter pockets, and smaller balls make it more impressive. My favorite Sullivan story is when he said that he could beat another player left handed, the guy sued for libel ( or whatever the word is) and Sullivan’s defense was that it was the truth. The judge said ‘fine, prove it’ so he played a match against the guy left handed and won…

I’m personally a fan of 3 cushion, that is an amazing game.

i cut-classes in college to play pocket billiards (rotation, 9ball, 8ball) later i learned 10ball, straight pool, 1 pocket and banks. i still play herr but i've left my cues back in my home country. snooker tables were a rarity there, like billiard tables.

it's a mix of relaxing and nerve wracking. being in the zone is a very relaxing expetience. the pockets all seem 2x wide your stroke is superb. if your off ... fuck ... sigh ... specially if it's a betting game.