Guest viewing is limited

Anyone recommend good Kobe beef?

Out of action

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm back in Japan again for about almost a week until I head out to another country one last time before going back to Japan again for the final week until I finish my vacation and fly back home. Before that,despite having visited Japan in the past twice,this being my official third(or eventually 6th by the time its over for me)can anyone recommend some good places to try out Kobe beef? Not too expensive or too cheap,something in the middle ground,like say 7k-10k range,if not in Kobe,at least be Kobe beef. I'll be staying in Osaka again for about 3 days from now.

Thanks!

I went to https://tabelog.com/hyogo/A2801/A280102/28036195/ had the most expensive course, the meat was fatty and reminded me of foie gras, one thing I didn't like was the texture at the end, as some tendon may have caused it hard to chew. I heard people prefer the second expensive grade, which I'll probably try next time.

IMO good beef in Japan and budget under 10k don't go well together.

Try Katsura at Grande Prince hotel in Shinagawa for moderately priced and good beef. If I am not remembering wrong the prices for dinner should start from under 20k.

Though I am normally not looking at the prices, Kobe beef is not something I would go to eat with my own money. :p

There are many other good beef out there in Japan. You'll probably be unable to tell their difference from Kobe just by tasting anyway, unless you are a professional. And most of them are significantly cheaper, especially when dining in their own production area.

I've tried shinsyu-gyu in Matsumoto and hida-gyu in Takayama. Both are of top quality. With a budget of 10k it was not hard to enjoy a feast of wagyu in those places.

Maybe you could do a research and find somewhere in Shiga that serves good omi-gyu at reasonable price. It's not that far away from Osaka.

It’s literally the easiest meal to prepare yourself. Doesn’t require much special technique to prepare.

Find a good butcher and have them slice you a piece from the cut you want.

I spend about ¥2000 - ¥3000 per 100g. Typically buy 500 - 600g a time to get the thickness I want and eat it over time or share.

I have been to many high end places and aside from the atmosphere, there isn’t anything special from what you can buy yourself.

Although if you’re just traveling I suppose you might not have that option. For the most part, with Wagyu, you get what you pay for, in a restaurant or at the butcher.

Reactions: MikeH
There is a concentration of Korean-style BBQ restaurants near Tsuruhashi station (on the loop-line, a few stations away to the anti-clockwise direction from Shinimamiya). Some of them serve Kobe beef, too. It's a cheap option.

I have been to many high end places and aside from the atmosphere, there isn’t anything special from what you can buy yourself.

But isn't the atmosphere exactly what you are paying in those places? Otherwise you could say it's always better to masturbate at home rather than going out to have sex with a girl, you get the same end result with much less money. :D

But isn't the atmosphere exactly what you are paying in those places? Otherwise you could say it's always better to masturbate at home rather than going out to have sex with a girl, you get the same end result with much less money. :D

I don’t fully agree to that. It’s a mix and sometimes, for me, it’s just about the food. I have had plenty of meals with fantastic venues that I would never step back into because the food sucked.

If I said you can fill yourself up with McDonald’s for cheaper and still eat beef that would be like masturbating vs. sex with a girl.

I don’t fully agree to that. It’s a mix and sometimes, for me, it’s just about the food. I have had plenty of meals with fantastic venues that I would never step back into because the food sucked.

I was more referring to the high end places like Michelin star sushi; while I agree those few times I have visited the food has been great I can still go and have the same quality with the quarter of the price but without the atmosphere.

If I said you can fill yourself up with McDonald’s for cheaper and still eat beef that would be like masturbating vs. sex with a girl.

That's just purely insulting my masturbating skills. I am pretty sure most of the TAG can masturbate better than McD can make burgers.

Grill Ukai is good. They bring the beef by on a cart and you can choose which cuts you want. It’s real quiet in there too so you can almost hear your arteries harden while you eat.

Reactions: Majestyk and MikeH
It’s literally the easiest meal to prepare yourself. Doesn’t require much special technique to prepare.

Find a good butcher and have them slice you a piece from the cut you want.

I spend about ¥2000 - ¥3000 per 100g. Typically buy 500 - 600g a time to get the thickness I want and eat it over time or share.

Although if you’re just traveling I suppose you might not have that option. For the most part, with Wagyu, you get what you pay for, in a restaurant or at the butcher.

Yea,I'm just traveling and don't have the time,also I can't cook for beans and rather not end up mess up ruining an expensive meal due to my inept cooking,lol. Despite hearing its the easiest meal to prepare for oneself.........I have NEVER ever cooked up a steak myself.

Grill Ukai is good. They bring the beef by on a cart and you can choose which cuts you want. It’s real quiet in there too so you can almost hear your arteries harden while you eat.

I will check it out,thanks warubuta!

There is a concentration of Korean-style BBQ restaurants near Tsuruhashi station (on the loop-line, a few stations away to the anti-clockwise direction from Shinimamiya). Some of them serve Kobe beef, too. It's a cheap option.
Another option I'll check out,thanks Ken1988!

There are many other good beef out there in Japan. You'll probably be unable to tell their difference from Kobe just by tasting anyway, unless you are a professional. And most of them are significantly cheaper, especially when dining in their own production area.

I've tried shinsyu-gyu in Matsumoto and hida-gyu in Takayama. Both are of top quality. With a budget of 10k it was not hard to enjoy a feast of wagyu in those places.

Maybe you could do a research and find somewhere in Shiga that serves good omi-gyu at reasonable price. It's not that far away from Osaka.

I've tried Hida beef in Takayama few years ago during their Fall festival,it was good but since I haven't tried anything else can't really compare it too,yikes,forgot,I did have 5 slices of Ishigaki beef in a Naha restaurant yesterday evening but I personally still can't distinguish too well the subtle differences of various good beef. I don't eat too much steak,prime ribs,etc.

I went to https://tabelog.com/hyogo/A2801/A280102/28036195/ had the most expensive course, the meat was fatty and reminded me of foie gras, one thing I didn't like was the texture at the end, as some tendon may have caused it hard to chew. I heard people prefer the second expensive grade, which I'll probably try next time.
Little bit more then I want to pay but it does look good though!

IMO good beef in Japan and budget under 10k don't go well together.

Try Katsura at Grande Prince hotel in Shinagawa for moderately priced and good beef. If I am not remembering wrong the prices for dinner should start from under 20k.

Though I am normally not looking at the prices, Kobe beef is not something I would go to eat with my own money. :p

Sounds good!

Atm,it isn't MY money that I'll be paying with atm but in the future I'm sure I'll somehow end up paying lol.

Normally don't eat KBBQ unless its with family or very special occasion with close friends but I'll check it out as well,more options is always good.