Best Food You've Ever Had In Japan

rick

hmm
Reaction score
I've had so many wonderful dining experiences in Tokyo and other parts of Japan.

It's a blessing and a curse: I find I can't eat certain foods at lesser establishments because of the drastic difference in standard.

What was the best meal you've had in Japan?
I'd like to hear about Japanese food in particular. If you can, please leave the name of the restaurant as well.

I'm gonna be bias but the best I've had in Japan was my uncle's soba shop, his soba making skills are off the chart in my book.
It is super refreshing and unique, the texture is awesome!
I think it is my favorite because I eat for free and they always give me really good seasonal sake:)
http://iijima.cc/index.html

Attachments

• IMG_3532.JPG
    IMG_3532.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Best Japanese restaurant i've eaten is Daigo, but i can't justify going there because it's so expensive. :(
(Someone took me there, thats only why i know it.)

Best Japanese restaurant i've eaten is Daigo, but i can't justify going there because it's so expensive. :(
(Someone took me there, thats only why i know it.)
I've been there once and was not impressed, i guess the flavor doesn't really suit me. The 2 Star/3 Star Michelin Japanese food in general didn't impress my taste buds :(

Edit: Don't get me wrong, they are good but it wasn't as good as I expect them to be.

I've been there once and was not impressed, i guess the flavor doesn't really suit me. The 2 Star/3 Star Michelin Japanese food in general didn't impress my taste buds :(

Edit: Don't get me wrong, they are good but it wasn't as good as I expect them to be.
Just a matter of taste i guess.
It's really my thing, all those very small dishes, pure fresh flavors... Traditional Japanese but all ok for me to eat without getting concerned about the ingredients.. Endless courses.. Makes me wanna go back already ;_;
Maybe i'll treat myself for my birthday or something.

Your uncle's soba shop sounds awesome btw, i love soba.

Just a matter of taste i guess.
It's really my thing, all those very small dishes, pure fresh flavors... Traditional Japanese but all ok for me to eat without getting concerned about the ingredients.. Endless courses.. Makes me wanna go back already ;_;
Maybe i'll treat myself for my birthday or something.

Your uncle's soba shop sounds awesome btw, i love soba.
Ya it really does come down to personal taste, I personally would choose French cuisines instead of Japanese cuisines. Maybe because I grew up with it and got tired of it?

The soba is super good :)

Ya it really does come down to personal taste, I personally would choose French cuisines instead of Japanese cuisines. Maybe because I grew up with it and got tired of it?

The soba is super good :)
I like salty stuff and beans so Japanese cuisine appeals to me, but i'm not a fish eater.

Reactions: TheWhiteBear
I think my favorite is sawara sashimi. I think it's a special sort of mackerel and only available in special seasons. Never saw it in Tokyo thought.

That looks awesome :O

Super old fashioned shop. It's in Imabari, a town in Ehime Prefecture, Shikoku. And it has been voted the best snow cone shop in all of Japan. Prices are cheap but good luck not running into a crowd during a holiday season. People from the surrounding prefectures travel to the town just to eat there.

Fortunately, I can visit during the off season several times a year.

Where is your uncle's soba place? It looks awesome.
Unfortunately it's in Shizuoka :(
Haha i meant Japanese bean dishes like edamame, natto and so on.
But beans are healthy in any form.
Sorry, I got too excited over beans XD
Have you ever had natto with wheat in it from Ibaraki? It's super good and I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 88
Unfortunately it's in Shizuoka :(

Sorry, I got too excited over beans XD
Have you ever had natto with wheat in it from Ibaraki? It's super good and I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the advice, sounds good!
And i'm thinking to hit the beach in Shizuoka this summer (because i heard its more beautiful than in Chiba) so maybe i can find the soba shop!

Reactions: TheWhiteBear
Thanks for the advice, sounds good!
And i'm thinking to hit the beach in Shizuoka this summer (because i heard its more beautiful than in Chiba) so maybe i can find the soba shop!
The soba shop is kind of at an inconvenient place, but definitely a must in my book if possible. Also lunch time can be super crowded or sold out, reservation would be recommended. I wish I could go and have soba :(

Have you ever eaten real refried beans? Beans mixed with lard. Super-healthy. :)

Being a fairly strict vegetarian, I doubt the @User#8628 has ever had authentic refried beans.

Anyway, while your point is sort of a fair one, I suppose that she could say that it is the lard, not the beans, which are unhealthy. I mean you could mix beans with, say, a little ricin (a potent natural toxin), and they'd be unhealthy at the quickly fatal level.

-Ww

My grandmothers takikomi gohan. It may not be fine dining, but she always makes it for me when i visit her, cant get enough of it.
Food from grandmothers and mothers are always so good, even if the taste isn't the best its nostalgic.

Reactions: Jack Hammer