Guest viewing is limited

Better Currency Exchange!

When I receive the donation in foreign currency, I keep it until my next travel.
But when it reached to about the same value of 1 million yen, I usually go to one of these discount ticket shop like daikokuya where one of you mentioned above. There are many of them in Shinjuku west side.
I often use them for Shinkansen tickets, Disney tickets and currency exchange. The exchange machine at regular hotels offer the worst rate!!

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
One year on from my original post, I Wish I was getting anywhere close to 1 Aus = 0.90 Yen. 0.75 - 0.76 has been the average price to the Aussie dollar at the Better places.

For anyone buying Yen on the ground in Australia, my advice is to ring up/take pictures of places giving the best rates, then go to Travel Money Oz. (multiple locations) Even if by a small fraction, they nearly always beat their competitors rates once verified, & at worst will match Verified competitors rates. This works in reverse too if you're converting Yen into Aud.

In Melbourne specifically, the two best places are United Currency exchange in Flinders lane Cbd & EverForex in Collins St Cbd & Box hill.

Reactions: MissInsomnia
Lemme say this, if you are in Oki and the exchange rate is 1 USD to 105 or more Yen. PAY IN YEN!! Regardless if they accept USD, they will do a currency exchange of 1 for 1 with you and you lose money while they make even more on the product they sold to you. I only recommend paying in USD or other currency were the exchange rate favors your currency as a last resort or if you do not have time.

In general around the world, I like to pull money out via ATM. May need to change this tactic for Japan for two reasons. I have a $500 limit per withdrawal and that left me with two issues. I spent more than that per day and the transactions fees negate the better rate. #2 I had to play a timing game with the US, as the daily limit reset based on US time date and not Japan. When I went to make a withdrawal, I had to play this mental game on whether cash would come out or not.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland