Guest viewing is limited

College Dating As An Older Exchange Student??

shaddowheart

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello, there I will go on an University Exchange Semester in Japan in Fall 2016. I started rather alte going to University, (in my late 20s) now am 30 and next year when I am in Japan I will allready 31.

I am not coming to Japan to date J Girls in the first place,I come the learn the Language and see as much of the Country as possible. But I have to admit, that japanese Women are somehow fascinating and I would not mind to interact with the female population if possible.

And I wonder if that is possible. I am not sure if japanese college girls are interested in an Foreigner who is 10 years older then them..

I doubt that I will have time to do much outside the university circles, so I wonder if I should try to flirt inside the unversity circles or would you consider this too od concerning the age gap ?

By the way English is not my mother tongue, I am from Austria, so sorry for my bad English..

Reactions: TAG Manager
And I wonder if that is possible. I am not sure if japanese college girls are interested in an Foreigner who is 10 years older then them..

It shouldn't be a problem... I don't really 'chase' college students, but I've met a few in passing and what I found is that they appreciate the older, more talented and mature men. Having the non-Asian appearance grants you a +10 advantage to those girls who would be willing to date a non-Japanese or non-Asian type.

As far as language is concern, you're English is fine... at least the written part. I'd focus on picking up some basic Japanese and bridge the gap with English where necessary.

Whatever you do, don't focus on your age... it's not a big deal, at all. There may be a smaller percentage of women that do care, but that's the exception, not the rule in most cases.

Reactions: shaddowheart
Thanks for the fast reply. Well not focusing on my age shouldn't be a problem. I do not feel old at all and I also look younger. then I really am. I was only afraid of doing something socially not exepted in Japan which could make my 6 months in japan more difficult. And I want to avoid that at all cost. As I said I want to go to Japan to see the country and learn the language. Having some female acquaintances during that stay would be a neat bonus, but not if it could make my daily live more complicate. But when the age gap is not so big problem and shouldn't case an uproar I will try it.

Once again thanks for your help.

Concering your advice learning Japanese. I allready study it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAG Manager
I think age in Japan isn't such a huge thing. A lot of super old guys get married to cute younger girls there and that's more accepted than In a lot of places. There are idol fans who are like 40 and drooling over teenage girls and it's a big money business but I don't know if it's socially accepted just tolerated XD.

Reactions: just4fun
I don't know if it's socially accepted just tolerated

If you live in a large city or at least one of the bigger towns, it's just accepted. If you're in the countryside, expect some quiet whispers but no one ever directly say anything.

If you live in a large city or at least one of the bigger towns, it's just accepted. If you're in the countryside, expect some quiet whispers but no one ever directly say anything.

Yeah I guess if you live in Tokyo or something where tons of idol groups are around with their fans you blend in more and people can just ignore it. Actually sleeping with an idol (Legally aged!) is on my list of impossible Japanese fantasies along with sleeping with a Joshi wrestler. I'd need to have a lot more money and be Japanese to even have a chance I imagine lol.

I am dating a Japanese college student 19 years younger than me. She is gorgeous and insatiable. I gotta say, it's funny... I totally remember being axious about being the older guy when I was 30, but now that I'm a little older (I'll leave the math to you) IJDGAF. I'm an average looking guy and even a little tubby... JDGAF anymore. I get by just fine but I'm not rich... JDGAF anymore...

Once you can leave all your hangups behind, your personality will shine through and invariably some girls will be into you. Leaving the hangups behind comes with age and *ahem* wisdom *cough*.

BTW- long time lurker here at TAG and this is my first post! Loved reading everything for years now. I guess I felt it's finally time to contribute.

I am dating a Japanese college student 19 years younger than me. She is gorgeous and insatiable. I gotta say, it's funny... I totally remember being axious about being the older guy when I was 30, but now that I'm a little older (I'll leave the math to you) IJDGAF. I'm an average looking guy and even a little tubby... JDGAF anymore. I get by just fine but I'm not rich... JDGAF anymore...

Once you can leave all your hangups behind, your personality will shine through and invariably some girls will be into you. Leaving the hangups behind comes with age and *ahem* wisdom *cough*.

BTW- long time lurker here at TAG and this is my first post! Loved reading everything for years now. I guess I felt it's finally time to contribute.

Welcome! Glad you decided to join us.

Amen to the hangups being left behind!

Reactions: just4fun