Guest viewing is limited

Dating a girl with epilepsy. (not in Japan)

lonegaijin

ぬるぬる
Reaction score
So I've been traveling around a lot for the past few years and found myself situated for a good period of time in Southern California! A few days ago I started messaging a girl who said she had epilepsy and I said that was fine as I have some health conditions myself. Is there anything I should know before I meet her in person? I already understand first aid of her condtion.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Do a little bit of Google research first. These days epilepsy can be well-controlled with medication. I think the stats are like 130k Americans per year are diagnosed.
If you become close to this girl, she will probably tell you what to do in case of a seizure.

tell you what to do in case of a seizure

It's actually not that complicated. :)

If the seizure lasts more than five minutes (or the person seizing is pregnant) call emergency services immediately.

If they start to fall, help guide them to the floor so they don't hit hard.

Don't try to restrain them, and despite common myths, do not put ANYTHING in their mouth. Move furniture (chairs etc.) away from them if it's close enough for them to hit it.

If it's a mild seizure and they're on the floor, you can move them into the recovery position so that any fluid accumaltion in their mouth can easily drain out. Otherwise do this when the seizure subsides.

If they stop breathing for more than 30 seconds during the seizure, or do not respond normally within an hour after the seizure ends, call an ambulance.

This is so unfair @Sudsy. Why I had to read this without any alcohol? I have so many bad puns for this just waiting for my lowered inhibitions. But no, look at me adulting here like a real adult!