Guest viewing is limited

Grilling (Barbecue)

Jackindabox

TAG Member
Reaction score
What are the rules on grilling? The reason I ask is because I’ve never seen anyone grill anything on the weekends or holidays in my neighborhood. Seems odd. I saw a sweet little grill but I want to know if it’s worth it or not.

Reactions: warubuta
What are the rules on grilling? The reason I ask is because I’ve never seen anyone grill anything on the weekends or holidays in my neighborhood. Seems odd. I saw a sweet little grill but I want to know if it’s worth it or not.

City rules so impossible to tell without knowing where do you live.

Usually outdoor grilling in a neighbourhood is just a big fat "Nope" especially if there are apartments around (or if you live in an apartment) however there are usually free spaces down by the river or no one asks questions if you bring your BBQ to the riverside.

however there are usually free spaces down by the river or no one asks questions if you bring your BBQ to the riverside.

Most of those spaces are to be reserved beforehand from your city's system. It used to be a postcard based lottery but now they even have this thing called internet. :eek:

If you have a river side with nobody already BBQing there you can bet your big fat sausages that it is prohibited. Depending on how the borders go you can have one side of the river OK with it and the other not.

Most of those spaces are to be reserved beforehand from your city's system. It used to be a postcard based lottery but now they even have this thing called internet. :eek:

If you have a river side with nobody already BBQing there you can bet your big fat sausages that it is prohibited. Depending on how the borders go you can have one side of the river OK with it and the other not.

That's when you just pull a gaijin card and suddenly not know any Japanese at alllll "Oh officer what? I don't know what you're saying? Would you like some beer? Sure come join us!"

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Some parks have BBQ spaces that you can reserve in advance.

I have a rooftop on the building I own and have a Webber up there which gets lots of use all year round. The closest inhabited building is across a huge street from me - about 70 meters away - and I still had somebody call the police on me once. The cops almost laughed when I dragged them up to confirm that there was nothing unsafe going on. Some twisted soul just couldn't stand watching a white guy having a good time.

Some parks have BBQ spaces that you can reserve in advance.

I have a rooftop on the building I own and have a Webber up there which gets lots of use all year round. The closest inhabited building is across a huge street from me - about 70 meters away - and I still had somebody call the police on me once. The cops almost laughed when I dragged them up to confirm that there was nothing unsafe going on. Some twisted soul just couldn't stand watching a white guy having a good time.
Looks like I need to find a river or rental area for barbecuing. Probably won’t go to the river!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cabbie
Riversides are usually a safe bet. Rooftops or top floor balconies are also good. But with the exception of the riverside, it is important to keep smoke to a minimum. I recommend you scale down your image of grilling to Japanese proportions and follow a few basic rules. 1) get one of those rectangular or round clay hibachis. 2) get some hard binchotan charcoal. 3) get a propane torch to light it. The point of all of this is to reduce smoke. Smoke scares people here and it can also piss them off. If your smoke gets on someones laundry, they will be justified in their anger. 4) be cognizant of the wind direction. If your smoke drifts up against an apartment building and goes in windows etc. that is a big problem. 5) dont grill five big fatty burgers at once as the smoke and smell will attract unwanted attention. Just use common sense. But the cops are going to come anyway. Give up on US style summertime grilling. Go local. Wintertime. Hibachi. Binchotan. Hot sake. Matsutake. shishamo.

I live on the top floor and have a very large rooftop balcony. I grill all the time. Someone once called the Fire dept. They said it's not a problem just keep water nearby.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Outdoor barbecues at home are very popular in Hokkaido. It's just not a practical thing to do in central Tokyo unless you have a decent space around the grill.

The seaside park in Oi is a popular outdoor barbecues spot in central Tokyo. It's free, no reservation necessary, and crowded in summer.

http://seaside-park.jp/park_nagisa-en/

If you don't mind traveling.... Go to Yokosuka and then take the boat to Monkey Island, there you can rent a grill, buy BBQ... have a beach and water there as well... I think you buy meat there, but I would recommend loading your cooler with what you want to cook and drink... It can get crowded, but it is a good experience... not sure about in this heat tho....
Also you can wonder around the island as well... but there weren't any fucking monkey's... So I'm wondering why the name.... Unless I was the monkey for going there :rolleyes: