Guest viewing is limited

Hang out as a solo foreigner

redditfan

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting here, so please forgive me if this isn't quite the right place for my question. 🙂
I'm currently in Tokyo for work and will be here for the next 6 months. However, I find myself with about a dozen days of free time to explore. This is my first experience being in a new place without knowing anyone, and I usually rely on mutual friends or shared languages to make new connections. I'm feeling a bit lost about how to navigate this situation. Where do I go? What do I do once I'm there, especially when language is a barrier?
I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions to help me get the most out of my time here.
Thank you in advance for helping a gaijin out! 🙏

I'm currently in Tokyo for work and will be here for the next 6 months. However, I find myself with about a dozen days of free time to explore
only a dozen days of free time? that even less than total weekends in 6 months.

you can start from cityheaven traveller and looks for similar reviews here.

Reactions: redditfan
This is my first experience being in a new place without knowing anyone, and I usually rely on mutual friends or shared languages to make new connections.

Just do what people have done for thousands of years. Get out and get drunk!

...makes talking to strangers easier and at a certain level language barriers don't matter that much anymore.

only a dozen days of free time? that even less than total weekends in 6 months.
Before the beginning of my work, sorry for the misunderstanding 😅
you can start from cityheaven traveller and looks for similar reviews here.
Also, I'm not looking for P2P services, but ty tho 😁
Just do what people have done for thousands of years. Get out and get drunk!
You'd recommend just heading to a bar and getting drunk, not matter where ? Might as well be fun, I could try that. I do not enjoy drinking very much, but if that's the easy way, I guess I should get used to it 🤷

Also, I'm not looking for P2P services, but ty tho 😁
ah I didnt check the forum. like 99% people asking about p2p here.
You'd recommend just heading to a bar and getting drunk, not matter where ? Might as well be fun, I could try that. I do not enjoy drinking very much, but if that's the easy way, I guess I should get used to it 🤷
I wont recommend getting too drunk though especially if you are here for works. too many things can go wrong.

you can install meetup app and looks for activities that interest you.

I would second the meetup app. It's pretty good for random gatherings of foreigners or japanese English speakers. Make friends there and tag along to other events

I didn't know this app existed, thanks a lot !

Meetup is also a valid option. It is best to look for events about a hobby of you. There are also lots of English-Japanese meetups, but I found them obnoxious. It's a lot better to meet people that have similar interests as you.

Last edited:
Meetup is also a valid option. It is best to look for events about a hobby of you. There are also lots of English-Japanese meetups, but I found them obnoxious. It's a lot better to meet people that have similar interests than you.
yeah that 500 yen international language exchange sucks.

there are few actual language exchange or tabletop games meetup.

street photography walk also not too bad.

Not sure if this is okay, or you'd find helpful. I met up with 20 ish people in 5 days (Mostly shinjuku) hitting bars and clubs tgt.
r/tokyoTravel This is a discord group with peeps from all over the world, british, south korea, usa, cali, europe. Most meetups are planned on the day itself or spontaneously, sometimes people shoutout places asking who's interested

In terms of language barrier, i relied heavily on papago (translation app) for providers or locals. When I see some locals just chilling and vibing I'd just ask them "Shimimaseh, any recommendation around here for food that you like"