High Speed Ferry To Korea

Jimmydr

TAG Member
Reaction score
South Korea and Japan are two fantastic countries to visit, and if you are visiting one, it makes a lot of sense to take the short hop across the East Sea/Sea of Japan to visit the other. Unfortunately, the cost of flights between the two countries can be ridiculously high, with a one-way ticket usually costing over $300 USD for the short two-hour flight.

However, for those in either country, there is another way to travel from the Land of the Morning Calm to the Land of the Rising Sun: the JR Beetle.

A high-speed ferry that zips across the sea in just under three-hours, the JR Beetle is an excellent choice for those on a budget or looking for an alternative to the cost and hassle of flying. It also makes a loop of Japan and South Korea very convenient for those traveling for an extended period of time.

Even better, unlike the airports of either city, which require leaving the city center and going through high-levels of security, the ferry crossing couldn’t be more pleasant. No need to arrive two to three hours before the ferry leaves as check-in, security, and immigration is a breeze.

The Fukuoka Ferry Terminal

The ferry connects Busan, South Korea and Fukuoka, Japan, both in the southern part of the country. These cities are fantastic places to spend a few days because they feature some interesting cultural spots, decent beaches, and good shopping. They also have excellent rail connections to the rest of the country.

From Busan, you can get to Seoul in less than three hours for under $50 USD, and from Fukuoka, you can easily get to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, or Tokyo by bus or train.

When I went in the summer of 2010, the ferry ride was very pleasant, with a refreshment area and an English speaking staff. The ride was very smooth, and they even played “Roman Holiday” an American movie from 1953. The ferry is a hydrofoil, which means that it sits well out of the water, so you should get a fairly smooth ride in all but the worst of weather.

Downtown Fukuoka: A very pleasant place to spend a few days.

To get tickets for the Beetle, head over the JR Beetle website . The tickets cost 13,000 Yen ($170) one-way or 24,000 Yen ($315) return. It is also possible to get a return ticket for 20,000 Yen if you travel only on weekdays and use the return portion within a week.

(Update: May 16, 2013) If you are having trouble booking your tickets through JR Beetle website, try calling +810-922-812-315 from Japan or, from Korea, dial 051-441-8200. There are usually English operators available. (Thanks to Eugene of Katsu News and Lyndee S. for supplying the updated information.)

Travel Tip: Make sure that you have the “Ferry Departure Tax” when you arrive at the terminals. The cost is approximately 15,000 Won or 1,500 Yen, depending on which country you are in.

The ferry terminal in Busan can be reached with a 5-10 minute walk from Jungang-dong Station on subway line number 1.

The Fukuoka Ferry Terminal has frequent bus connections, and there is an English speaking sign at the information counter telling you how to get to the city center, train station, etc. There is also money changing facilities and a restaurant at each terminal.

http://tripologist.com/asia/how-to-take-the-ferry-between-south-korea-and-japan/

We were thinking of hitting Korea and japan. anyone ever take the ferry?

You can get a hotels included for cheaper than going all the way to Fukuoka from Tokyo.
The article makes it seem like Fukuoka is remotely close to Tokyo. It's not.

Reactions: Jimmydr
You can get a hotels included for cheaper than going all the way to Fukuoka from Tokyo.
The article makes it seem like Fukuoka is remotely close to Tokyo. It's not.

Its a few hours?

If you are near Fukuoka the ferry is an option.
If you are in Tokyo the time & cost of getting to Fukuoka still matter.
After the ferry lands it's still going to take you a while to get to your hotel or location in Seoul.
From Tokyo I can't see this being a time, or money saver.
I might be wrong but it's my opinion.

If you are near Fukuoka the ferry is an option.
If you are in Tokyo the time & cost of getting to Fukuoka still matter.
After the ferry lands it's still going to take you a while to get to your hotel or location in Seoul.
From Tokyo I can't see this being a time, or money saver.
I might be wrong but it's my opinion.

We are going on a 21 day vacation and want to see as much as possible. Nothing in those two Ferry cities?

There are some new lcc's recently I just priced out vanilla air for some time in Feb between not and icn it came out to a little over 27k yen which is within the pricing they state in the ferry, there are a couple of lcc's and then there is always the travel agencies here that always have specials to Korea including hotel.

There are some new lcc's recently I just priced out vanilla air for some time in Feb between not and icn it came out to a little over 27k yen which is within the pricing they state in the ferry, there are a couple of lcc's and then there is always the travel agencies here that always have specials to Korea including hotel.

Not a bad price, 27K.

As far as the website will let you haha it's like using jet blue or southwest in the states, nothing special, the travel agency stuff though you need to keep an eye out for or request they email or mail you their campaigns. Even sites like travel zoo which has a specific newsletter for Japan is useful. I once saw a 7 day package all around Italy including transportation and hotels for 50k I soooo wanted to go... But the timing wasn't right. You just need to be patient for them.

We are going on a 21 day vacation and want to see as much as possible. Nothing in those two Ferry cities?
In Fukuoka? Tons! Not really much known by me as far as p4p but there are plenty of sites.

I found the girls, especially of the Korean/Zainichi variety too pleasant to worry about p4p. To me they were charming.

In Fukuoka? Tons! Not really much known by me as far as p4p but there are plenty of sites.

I found the girls, especially of the Korean/Zainichi variety too pleasant to worry about p4p. To me they were charming.

Lots of girls for the taking, cool.

Reactions: GoldenDalton
If you are going to cut and paste from somewhere else, a helpful tip might be to update pricing and/or conversion rates. ¥24K is only about $200 these days.

To get tickets for the Beetle, head over the JR Beetle website . The tickets cost 13,000 Yen ($170) one-way or 24,000 Yen ($315) return. It is also possible to get a return ticket for 20,000 Yen if you travel only on weekdays and use the return portion within a week.

(Update: May 16, 2013) If you are having trouble booking your tickets through JR Beetle website, try calling +810-922-812-315 from Japan or, from Korea, dial 051-441-8200. There are usually English operators available. (Thanks to Eugene of Katsu News and Lyndee S. for supplying the updated information.)