Guest viewing is limited

House of the dead

majimekun

TAG Member
Reaction score
The veterans here probably know how superstitious the Japanese are.
Especially the fact that they would never rent or stay in a place where someone has died before.

Next time your girlfriend stays at your place, tell her that got your flat at a bargain price because someone has died there before. Then witness her freak out.

Personally, I don't give a damn, even it someone's body has been dismantled in the bathroom in the past.

What about you?
Do you care?

Don't care. Not superstitious at all.

Until I have my own personal experience that would have me believe otherwise, it doesn't exist.

I did meet a woman, some years ago, that claimed that spirits/ghosts only show themselves to people who are frightened of them.

Who knows... but there's a definite fear among Japanese when it comes to living in a location where someone has died in the past.

Reactions: Simonka
What about you?
Do you care?

With Tokyo rents? Not only would it not bother me, if I was on the market I'd be considering investing in arsenic....

Reactions: TheScientist
im actually living in one of those apartments...
there are a few rules to it, though... depending on how the person died, prices vary... suicide/murder gets you cheaper rent than dying of old age...

also, per law, agencies are only forced to advertise it for one year, after that the estate in question can (and most likely will be) rented for the normal price... also landlords can change the price back after one year and most do it at the next contract renewal at the latest...

as for superstition, most people i know, know that i live in one of those places, most shrugged it of as odd, some thought its creepy (few women), but when they found out the person dies of old age, noone really cared anymore...

im actually living in one of those apartments...
there are a few rules to it, though... depending on how the person died, prices vary... suicide/murder gets you cheaper rent than dying of old age...

also, per law, agencies are only forced to advertise it for one year, after that the estate in question can (and most likely will be) rented for the normal price... also landlords can change the price back after one year and most do it at the next contract renewal at the latest...

as for superstition, most people i know, know that i live in one of those places, most shrugged it of as odd, some thought its creepy (few women), but when they found out the person dies of old age, noone really cared anymore...
I actually know my company rents or rented a house where a murder took place. Creepy! It was a new house or something like that and one of the occupants or both were murdered. They got the place dirt cheap. I heard this from a coworker. No Japanese manager would have lived in it. But the foreign staff don’t care. I would refuse to stay in it. I’m not superstitious but I just couldn’t live there.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
in that case, wasting money is a lot of peoples past time^^

i was extremely lucky, as mentioned, usually the discount lasts about a year... i got that discount for 8 years now... no ghost and no demon tried to mess with me until now^^

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Some people just don’t like to live in a “stigmatized property” even if they are not “superstitious”. I don’t want to live in a property where a gruesome murder took place, but have no problem to live in a property where people died or killed in other causes (including suicide). Also I would love to live in the neighborhood of a big cemetery in a big city where it is usually more quiet and greener.

That said, yeah, it seems indeed that it’s a Japanese who’s put so much effort to track down stigmatized properties...
oshimaland.com

Especially the fact that they would never rent or stay in a place where someone has died before.

Next time your girlfriend stays at your place, tell her that got your flat at a bargain price because someone has died there before. Then witness her freak out.

Personally, I don't give a damn, even it someone's body has been dismantled in the bathroom in the past.

What about you?
Do you care?

It's not only Japan at least when it comes to murders. A property where a murder took place can be expected to be sold for a lower than market price in certain Western countries.

It is not like I always check Oshima Teru before searching for a place but I would not rent / buy a place where murder case had happened!
I haven’t had seen anything you cannot explain ( and hope I could keep it that way for the rest of my life) but I get scared very easily.

I was asked to come to the xxx tower by a client but I was not familiar with the location. I google and typed “xxx tower” and all the suggested search terms were “murder” “haunted mansion” “case” “ghost”!! Hey, I don’t think want to take this request now....

Last edited:

What about you?
Do you care?
I don't care

NB : if the death happened more than 1 year before the owners don't have to say it happened so the impact on the rent price is only for the 1st year.