Guest viewing is limited

Jet Programme: Teaching English

zer0ed

Norberto
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any personal insight, experience or advice regarding applying to become an ALT (assistant language teacher) in Japan via the JET program? The salary seems reasonable, enough for what I need. Plus I don't mind going to smaller cities, in fact, I prefer the inaka versus metropolitan areas. I do have a bachelors, but I hear that they want fresh graduates (I finished my degree about 5 years ago) so would this count against me?

Would I be allowed to pursue other jobs/degrees on this particular visa?

Thankfully I still have a bit of time until the next round of applications are due. Any advice would be helpful.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
JET is a fantastic program, as long as you don't mind living in the boonies. Your contracts are limited to 3 year terms. I'm not sure about the contract terms, but it will say specifically if you are allowed to work part time jobs or not.

Once you have your initial visa, your next employer can change your visa type fairly painlessly (doesn't cost them anything other than submitting a form, getting the initial visa is what initially costs money). Honestly, I'd apply and see what happens. Note that it is the absolute best paid of all the ALT gigs you can get (especially because you get subsidized rent), so competition is pretty stiff.

If your goal is just to get into Japan, I'd put in applications to the private ALT companies as well; all of em provide livable salaries if you're working full time (Interac starts around 230k/month, Heart around 210k/month, etc). Your salary will largely depend on your city and the contract they have with the company, but IMO your goal is just getting into the city, getting experience, then flipflopping between the companies for a higher salary. I changed companies every year, and every change I took resulted in a 20% pay increase. I make almost triple what I made when I first got to Japan right now.

JET is a fantastic program, as long as you don't mind living in the boonies. Your contracts are limited to 3 year terms. I'm not sure about the contract terms, but it will say specifically if you are allowed to work part time jobs or not.

Once you have your initial visa, your next employer can change your visa type fairly painlessly (doesn't cost them anything other than submitting a form, getting the initial visa is what initially costs money). Honestly, I'd apply and see what happens. Note that it is the absolute best paid of all the ALT gigs you can get (especially because you get subsidized rent), so competition is pretty stiff.

If your goal is just to get into Japan, I'd put in applications to the private ALT companies as well; all of em provide livable salaries if you're working full time (Interac starts around 230k/month, Heart around 210k/month, etc). Your salary will largely depend on your city and the contract they have with the company, but IMO your goal is just getting into the city, getting experience, then flipflopping between the companies for a higher salary. I changed companies every year, and every change I took resulted in a 20% pay increase. I make almost triple what I made when I first got to Japan right now.

Wow, that's good to know and some really good advice. Thank you. Doesn't hurt to apply for all of them right? Are there any particular companies I should be weary of? It seems that you have been doing this for a while, how are you enjoying it? Do you think they discriminate against foreigners that are not Caucasian? Do you see many non-white ALTs?

My top picks in terms of location would be: Kyushuu (Miyazaki area), Kobe, and Hokkaidou. Are these "boonies" enough for all intensive purposes? Also, after getting the initial assignment location, how easy would it be to get transferred to a different district?

Wow, that's good to know and some really good advice. Thank you. Doesn't hurt to apply for all of them right? Are there any particular companies I should be weary of? It seems that you have been doing this for a while, how are you enjoying it? Do you think they discriminate against foreigners that are not Caucasian? Do you see many non-white ALTs?

My top picks in terms of location would be: Kyushuu (Miyazaki area), Kobe, and Hokkaidou. Are these "boonies" enough for all intensive purposes? Also, after getting the initial assignment location, how easy would it be to get transferred to a different district?

I'm Chinese-American, so you can draw your own conclusions from that haha. As long as you're a native english speaker from a country that has K-12 english education (quebec for example doesn't count because the national language is french), you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I'd say it hurts you more for NOT applying to all of em.

The ALT companies are all going to have some degree of shadiness to them. If you're American, you can probably relate to exploited foreign labor. In this case, you're the foreigner being exploited. For example, for you to draw full time benefits, you must work over 30 hours a week, so the companies will make sure that you're not scheduled for more than 29.5 hours per week, and they only count the time you're in the classroom as "working" time so they don't have to provide you with benefits like national health care, pension, etc. However, despite only being "paid" for 29.5 hours, you're typically not allowed to leave the school grounds during your work hours. During summer/winter/spring you're going to get a reduced (or zero) salary during those months since you're on "vacation" and some companies will pay you a daily rate for april/may since you're not working the full month. As long as you manage your finances properly, you'll be fine, but it can involve you paying closer attention to your money and planning for those reduced pay months.

Really, its not so much companies you have to look out for, but more the contract you get with the city you're placed in, and I'd make sure they provide you the details before you get on the plane. Like for example, RCS pays hourly in certain cities, meaning if you don't have class, you don't get paid. You'll get like 50-100kY in the month of July and zero in the month of August because of summer vacation. Interac is typically better because they're a big company, but because they're the biggest, they were the biggest target for activist groups. Some cities under Interac have full time benefits and the sort because the ALT's, in conjunction with the teachers in the city fought for ALT rights. But, they're also the biggest, which is going to make you a replaceable asset to them. Personally, I'd say within the big 3, RCS, Interac and Heart before branching out to some of the other companies. My last company was called Educational Network, and they by far had the best benefits/pay, very small client base of fairly wealthy private schools, and the company not only does ALT stuff, they work as a recruiting company for direct hire positions at said schools. Great company, but they only hire "experienced" ALTs. Meaning, you have to already have your visa before they'll hire you. That's a case where you're hopping between companies in between yearly contracts. That's the other thing, these companies only give 1 year contracts and they are VERY slow at giving them out. Meaning it'll be the beginning of March and you're still not sure if you have a job in April. As a survival technique, you need to be applying to ALT companies in February to make sure you have a job. Keep on the ball and you'll be fine, realize that the companies are likely not going to show you any loyalty or longevity, there's no reason for you to do the same. I used to work in Urayasu at a school I loved, but my company lost the contract to a cheaper company, and the new company had REALLY bad contract terms. We didn't find out until February and I was left scrambling to find another job. Since then, if I don't know where I'm working the next year with 100% certainty, I'm looking for a job starting in January/February.

Personally, I enjoyed working as an ALT quite a bit, but I've been very fortunate with my schools and my coordinators at the company. Currently, I'm actually a full time high school teacher at a private school and no longer work for a dispatch company. It was a long path to get here, and involved a lot of overtime. My biggest suggestion to you if you're actually serious about pursuing a career as a teacher is to learn the language and culture; live it and breathe it as much as you can. The more fluent you become in Japanese (refer to the thread about "how fluent is fluent" for my opinion on that), the more doors that are going to open for you. When I first got here, I avoided talking to non-japanese like the plague. My social circle was 99% Japanese, and no one spoke English. Trial by fire and I survived it to get to a fairly fluent level. JLPT is pretty meaningless in the professional world aside from being a resume buffer. I likely couldn't pass the JLPT N2 without studying a crapload, but I function better in Japan than most of the N1 holders. Second, make sure you put a ton of effort into your lessons, because people notice and they talk. Word of mouth is the best advertisement here, and can open a number of other benefits for you. A principal at a previous school I worked at cosigned my apartment for me, wrote me letters of recommendations that opened even more doors for me, etc. Our good relationship began because I recognized his Japanese dialect that most of the local teachers didn't even recognize.

Are these "boonies" enough for all intensive purposes?
One of the most common mistakes most english speakers make...

Intents and Purposes, not Intensive purposes =P

I likely couldn't pass the JLPT N2 without studying a crapload, but I function better in Japan than most of the N1 holders.

I'll take street smart over book smart; having that N1 test down doesn't mean crap if you ignore the rest of the culture and can't function in the society.

(sorry to butt in, haha)

I'm Chinese-American, so you can draw your own conclusions from that haha. As long as you're a native english speaker from a country that has K-12 english education (quebec for example doesn't count because the national language is french), you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I'd say it hurts you more for NOT applying to all of em.

The ALT companies are all going to have some degree of shadiness to them. If you're American, you can probably relate to exploited foreign labor. In this case, you're the foreigner being exploited. For example, for you to draw full time benefits, you must work over 30 hours a week, so the companies will make sure that you're not scheduled for more than 29.5 hours per week, and they only count the time you're in the classroom as "working" time so they don't have to provide you with benefits like national health care, pension, etc. However, despite only being "paid" for 29.5 hours, you're typically not allowed to leave the school grounds during your work hours. During summer/winter/spring you're going to get a reduced (or zero) salary during those months since you're on "vacation" and some companies will pay you a daily rate for april/may since you're not working the full month. As long as you manage your finances properly, you'll be fine, but it can involve you paying closer attention to your money and planning for those reduced pay months.

Really, its not so much companies you have to look out for, but more the contract you get with the city you're placed in, and I'd make sure they provide you the details before you get on the plane. Like for example, RCS pays hourly in certain cities, meaning if you don't have class, you don't get paid. You'll get like 50-100kY in the month of July and zero in the month of August because of summer vacation. Interac is typically better because they're a big company, but because they're the biggest, they were the biggest target for activist groups. Some cities under Interac have full time benefits and the sort because the ALT's, in conjunction with the teachers in the city fought for ALT rights. But, they're also the biggest, which is going to make you a replaceable asset to them. Personally, I'd say within the big 3, RCS, Interac and Heart before branching out to some of the other companies. My last company was called Educational Network, and they by far had the best benefits/pay, very small client base of fairly wealthy private schools, and the company not only does ALT stuff, they work as a recruiting company for direct hire positions at said schools. Great company, but they only hire "experienced" ALTs. Meaning, you have to already have your visa before they'll hire you. That's a case where you're hopping between companies in between yearly contracts. That's the other thing, these companies only give 1 year contracts and they are VERY slow at giving them out. Meaning it'll be the beginning of March and you're still not sure if you have a job in April. As a survival technique, you need to be applying to ALT companies in February to make sure you have a job. Keep on the ball and you'll be fine, realize that the companies are likely not going to show you any loyalty or longevity, there's no reason for you to do the same. I used to work in Urayasu at a school I loved, but my company lost the contract to a cheaper company, and the new company had REALLY bad contract terms. We didn't find out until February and I was left scrambling to find another job. Since then, if I don't know where I'm working the next year with 100% certainty, I'm looking for a job starting in January/February.

Personally, I enjoyed working as an ALT quite a bit, but I've been very fortunate with my schools and my coordinators at the company. Currently, I'm actually a full time high school teacher at a private school and no longer work for a dispatch company. It was a long path to get here, and involved a lot of overtime. My biggest suggestion to you if you're actually serious about pursuing a career as a teacher is to learn the language and culture; live it and breathe it as much as you can. The more fluent you become in Japanese (refer to the thread about "how fluent is fluent" for my opinion on that), the more doors that are going to open for you. When I first got here, I avoided talking to non-japanese like the plague. My social circle was 99% Japanese, and no one spoke English. Trial by fire and I survived it to get to a fairly fluent level. JLPT is pretty meaningless in the professional world aside from being a resume buffer. I likely couldn't pass the JLPT N2 without studying a crapload, but I function better in Japan than most of the N1 holders. Second, make sure you put a ton of effort into your lessons, because people notice and they talk. Word of mouth is the best advertisement here, and can open a number of other benefits for you. A principal at a previous school I worked at cosigned my apartment for me, wrote me letters of recommendations that opened even more doors for me, etc. Our good relationship began because I recognized his Japanese dialect that most of the local teachers didn't even recognize.

One of the most common mistakes most english speakers make...

Intents and Purposes, not Intensive purposes =P

Wow, thanks for the detailed and excellent reply, I really wasn't expecting something of this calibre from an adult-oriented forum. I will need some time to digest everything you wrote. Also, thanks for pointing out that mistake for me, I am surprised no one has ever pointed that out and it makes a lot more sense when you actually spell it out in writing. It's great being able to learn something new everyday. Did you have an background in education before Japan? For me, I have always liked teaching, but never done it formally aside from several self-directed university courses. My background is in sciences so this will be a big jump.

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks for the detailed and excellent reply, I really wasn't expecting something of this calibre from an adult-oriented forum. I will need some time to digest everything you wrote. Also, thanks for pointing out that mistake for me, I am surprised no one has ever pointed that out and it makes a lot more sense when you actually spell it out in writing. It's great being able to learn something new everyday. Did you have an background in education before Japan? For me, I have always liked teaching, but never done it formally aside from several self-directed university courses. My background is in sciences so this will be a big jump.

Thanks again!

I came from an IT background, with hobby interest in history, so don't worry about that. Me, no, like most other foreigners, being an ALT was just an easy way to get into Japan. Worse, I had actually worked as a JHS drumline instructor while I was back in the states and absolutely despised it. I came here with a very negative outlook on teaching, to be honest. eHowever, when I started doing it and seeing the smiles and happiness coming from the students, fell in love with it as a career, which I think is what really let me get as far as I did in the path. That being said, this is actually my last year teaching before I go back to the states and hop back into the private sector (likely IT related). I could go on a rant as to why I'm going back, but I think you'd be better off experiencing the life yourself without my personal opinion clouding your experience. :)

Mostly though, I've accomplished everything I set out to do originally when I moved here. I came here to learn the language and culture, which I accomplished in spades, as well as completely changing my life through PUA. I'm engaged (basically married), and fulfilled several items off my bucket list (being a homeroom teacher in high school was on my list of dreams when I first moved here, not really a goal). More importantly though, my teacher's license is valid for 10 years, and I can get my permanent residency any time I want, so the door is always open for me to come back. I'm leaving on good terms with my school, with a strong reputation in the area, so coming back will be a very painless process all things being equal. Even with my bad experiences in schools (I've had them of course), they've all worked towards the direction I'm heading in now, and even with shit attitudes, I've left a good impression. Never NEVER burn your bridges, no matter how miserable you are, because you never know when they'll come back to bite you in the ass or save your life in the future.

I came from an IT background, with hobby interest in history, so don't worry about that. Me, no, like most other foreigners, being an ALT was just an easy way to get into Japan. Worse, I had actually worked as a JHS drumline instructor while I was back in the states and absolutely despised it. I came here with a very negative outlook on teaching, to be honest. eHowever, when I started doing it and seeing the smiles and happiness coming from the students, fell in love with it as a career, which I think is what really let me get as far as I did in the path. That being said, this is actually my last year teaching before I go back to the states and hop back into the private sector (likely IT related). I could go on a rant as to why I'm going back, but I think you'd be better off experiencing the life yourself without my personal opinion clouding your experience. :)

Mostly though, I've accomplished everything I set out to do originally when I moved here. I came here to learn the language and culture, which I accomplished in spades, as well as completely changing my life through PUA. I'm engaged (basically married), and fulfilled several items off my bucket list (being a homeroom teacher in high school was on my list of dreams when I first moved here, not really a goal). More importantly though, my teacher's license is valid for 10 years, and I can get my permanent residency any time I want, so the door is always open for me to come back. I'm leaving on good terms with my school, with a strong reputation in the area, so coming back will be a very painless process all things being equal. Even with my bad experiences in schools (I've had them of course), they've all worked towards the direction I'm heading in now, and even with shit attitudes, I've left a good impression. Never NEVER burn your bridges, no matter how miserable you are, because you never know when they'll come back to bite you in the ass or save your life in the future.

That is definitely some really good advice about not burning bridges. I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you!

From your perspective, what percentage of the ALTs are Asian compared to the number of Caucasian teachers? I've read some comments regarding some Asian-Americans being turned down for positions because they were not "western" enough. From what you mentioned, however, it sounds like that they value your skill and passion more than appearance, but I have a feeling that there will always be some unspoken preference towards the "ideal" English teacher.

On a side note, when I learned Japanese in high school, all my teachers where Caucasian with decent Japanese experience. At one point, they were so short on Japanese teachers that they assigned a PE teacher with almost no Japanese experience whatsoever to teach intro Japanese, I felt that was kind of sloppy on their end. Ironically, the most "legit" Japanese sensei that I encountered was a nice older lady named Mrs Van der Velden (spelling may not be correct), which you wouldn't expect given the hardcore German surname. Japanese was not a popular course back then I suppose.

Homeroom teacher eh? That will be going on my list of things to do in my lifetime too then; I never thought it was possible to infiltrate the Japanese education system without a formal teaching background. How would you rate their focus on conversational skills versus grammar, when it comes to teaching as an ALT?

Hi , that was a good read and advice. I have a few questions as well. What kind of things do ALTs teach to the students ? Like grammars, conversation classes or anything else. I do not have any background in Teaching/Education field at all as I am studying Digital Design. Graduating soon. And yes I am Asian as well.

http://www.englipedia.net/Pages/JHS.aspx here's a very handy website many ALT's use for writing lessons, you can get the gist of how the job goes by reading here.

Likely, unless you're a professional teacher with a degree in English, ESL, TOEFL, TESOL, etc, you won't teach grammar, reading, or writing. You'll be focused on speaking, and your primary job is getting a room full of 20-40 shy kids to speak, and do it lots. Biggest thing though, you bring yourself and your hobbies to the classroom. I'm a drummer and a computer geek, so I focus a lot on rhythm of the language teach it like I was teaching music. I also design demo videos that the kids seem to enjoy, putting the language in realistic situations that they can relate to.

Like this one

I see .. thanks for the link. will give a read later.. My other hobbies and skills besides multimedia design would be sports. Used to be an athlete. I have learnt to play many sports and participated in many competitive competition. Now I specialize in tennis and playing in tournaments. Not sure how these will be helpful in the classroom though .. haha.