ketchup is here

ketchup

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to do a quick intro before I started posting.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. They have helped me to enjoy myself a lot more than my previous grassroots campaigns.

Lived in Tokyo for a few years in my 20s. Now 30s. Fluent Japanese. Frequent Ikebukuro. White-ish. Totally kakkoii. Very nihongo jozu.

Yoroshiku

Last edited:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. They have helped me to enjoy myself a lot more than my previous grassroots campaign.

Lived in Tokyo for a few years in my 20s. Now 30s. Fluent Japanese. Frequent Ikebukuro. White-ish. Totally kakkoii. Very nihongo jozu.

Yoroshiku
Hope you brought the mayo too! Yoroshiku

Yeah, I feel like if you are going to make wild claims like nihongo jouzu you need to provide evidence, like that last guy did (the one who is super good looking). Like, when was the last time someone ACTUALLY told you you were jouzu? I had TWO people tell me yesterday that I am jouzu. Can you top that?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. They have helped me to enjoy myself a lot more than my previous grassroots campaigns.

Yoroshiku
Robot Wtf GIF

Yeah, I feel like if you are going to make wild claims like nihongo jouzu you need to provide evidence, like that last guy did (the one who is super good looking). Like, when was the last time someone ACTUALLY told you you were jouzu? I had TWO people tell me yesterday that I am jouzu. Can you top that?
Super good looking and nihongo jouzu? You must be referring to me!

Cat Orange GIF by Otakou

im not sure what there is to be brag about for being told nihongo jouzu. i feel like thats the thing you get told when your japanese skill sucks. when you get good youll be complimented in more nuanced ways.

im not sure what there is to be brag about for being told nihongo jouzu. i feel like thats the thing you get told when your japanese skill sucks. when you get good youll be complimented in more nuanced ways.
Spoken like someone who doesn’t understand the fine nuance of nihongo jouzu in this thread.

1705665318807.png

I used chopsticks to eat a pickle at the local izakaya and the neighborhood old dude immediately gave me a “ohashi jyouzo” and I waved my hand in front of my face and repeated “iya iya …” and he basically orgasmed he was so impressed.

I used chopsticks to eat a pickle at the local izakaya and the neighborhood old dude immediately gave me a “ohashi jyouzo” and I waved my hand in front of my face and repeated “iya iya …” and he basically orgasmed he was so impressed.

If you didn't hit back later with スプーンお上手 I am seriously disappointed.

Reactions: Alice
I'm Asian and I met up with some online friends and I got ohashi jouzu'd and I'm like "Bro, I was born in America, not adopted"

If you didn't hit back later with スプーンお上手 I am seriously disappointed.
1000017979.jpg

I got so much mileage out of saying eigo jouzu back to jouzu'ers in Japan, every single time they had a good laugh over it after getting riposted by the gaijin with 5 set Japanese phrases in memory, as if they were admitting, "I've been caught!" 🤣