Guest viewing is limited

Living in Tokyo

Husniye

TAG Member
Reaction score
Unsure if anyone remembers me from around February-March, I had some great times thanks to recommendations from users of this site which I am very thankful as I was a nervous wreck back then and even wrote a few reviews myself (was going to write more but life gets busy). Once I returned to my home country, I decided I wanted to study Japanese so I got to it, studied by myself and before I knew it, I'm living in Tokyo (starting from two days ago), studying at a language academy as well for my goal of reaching fluent Japanese.
Does anyone have any life in Japan advice they'd like to share? I'm not dense so I know the common sense ones, however I'm sure some of you have amazing life hacks. Also I will try to get into the dating game instead of P2P (at least for now, we'll see how I perform).

P.S.: I will probably get around to writing the Lovely Hand reviews which were my favorite once I settle in.

Unsure if anyone remembers me from around February-March, I had some great times thanks to recommendations from users of this site which I am very thankful as I was a nervous wreck back then and even wrote a few reviews myself (was going to write more but life gets busy). Once I returned to my home country, I decided I wanted to study Japanese so I got to it, studied by myself and before I knew it, I'm living in Tokyo (starting from two days ago), studying at a language academy as well for my goal of reaching fluent Japanese.
Does anyone have any life in Japan advice they'd like to share? I'm not dense so I know the common sense ones, however I'm sure some of you have amazing life hacks. Also I will try to get into the dating game instead of P2P (at least for now, we'll see how I perform).

P.S.: I will probably get around to writing the Lovely Hand reviews which were my favorite once I settle in.
Gratz dude! I'm waiting to hear back about my own visa as well (also language school).

A few pieces of advice I've been given for my own move that I'll pass onto you also:

Gyomu Super is a discount grocery that does bulk and sometimes has international ingredients, and Kaldi is another place where you get decent coffee.

If you're trying to find decent small restaurants or dives, follow the lines/Japanese crowds. It's how I found one of my favorite katsu places (2 hour wait was worth).

If you need a random item like a stapler or tape measure, Daiso is a good first stop, since they're decently cheaper than office supplies stores.

If you are moving inside Japan (say you manage to renew your student visa but want to move to a different apartment) it's apparently much cheaper to send boxes individually by ta-q-bin than hiring a moving company or Yamato moving truck.

Not sure if they've started selling Passmo cards again at train stations, but it's a worthwhile investment, even if you have to buy one off someone else.

Reactions: Alice
Not sure if they've started selling Passmo cards again at train stations, but it's a worthwhile investment, even if you have to buy one off someone else.
As of the beginning of July, you had to go to a commuter pass office (I went to the Tobu office at Ikebukuro), and they'd only sell you a personalized card. You didn't have to buy a commuter pass on the spot.

Gratz dude! I'm waiting to hear back about my own visa as well (also language school).

A few pieces of advice I've been given for my own move that I'll pass onto you also:

Gyomu Super is a discount grocery that does bulk and sometimes has international ingredients, and Kaldi is another place where you get decent coffee.

If you're trying to find decent small restaurants or dives, follow the lines/Japanese crowds. It's how I found one of my favorite katsu places (2 hour wait was worth).

If you need a random item like a stapler or tape measure, Daiso is a good first stop, since they're decently cheaper than office supplies stores.

If you are moving inside Japan (say you manage to renew your student visa but want to move to a different apartment) it's apparently much cheaper to send boxes individually by ta-q-bin than hiring a moving company or Yamato moving truck.

Those are some very good tips, thank you! I am not completely going around blind but it's my first time living alone so getting supplies have been a bit of a challenge, I live near Ikebukuro station so I think I'll head over and grab me either a Suica or Pasmo. Do you know where I can buy medicinal hand soap? I'm guessing Pharmacies? I think most hand wash in Japan causes me allergic reactions (I had a really bad one last time I was here so trying to minimize the damage now). As for moving out, while I'm really close to my school in Toshima, I will either get used to living next to the train tracks or live to hate it and want to move to another apartment, only time will tell.

As for moving out, while I'm really close to my school in Toshima, I will either get used to living next to the train tracks or live to hate it and want to move to another apartment, only time will tell.
Luckily it should be more quiet after the last trains pass by, although unless you're a heavy sleeper, the early morning trains might be a slight annoyance. Feel free to DM me tips for places to dive in and explore around the city. Admittedly, I only know Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Harajuku reasonably well, but if you're in Ikebukuro, you're about a half hour train ride from a godly katsudon shop. Fingers crossed my own student visa gets through alright. Did you have any issues getting your COE? Or was the most painful part the wait?

ow nice. I remember starting school around same time few years back. It is going to be cold soon. autumn is the best season but very short so enjoy it while it last.

I might enjoy going outdoor more than indoor (p4p) during this season.

Reactions: AghostAghast
Luckily it should be more quiet after the last trains pass by, although unless you're a heavy sleeper, the early morning trains might be a slight annoyance. Feel free to DM me tips for places to dive in and explore around the city. Admittedly, I only know Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Harajuku reasonably well, but if you're in Ikebukuro, you're about a half hour train ride from a godly katsudon shop. Fingers crossed my own student visa gets through alright. Did you have any issues getting your COE? Or was the most painful part the wait?
I had absolutely no troubles at all getting my COE, I'm unsure why but everything went relatively easily, I'm from Portugal so that might have helped otherwise I can't think of anything else that might have influenced it; what do they usually check when it comes to Certificate of Eligibility that could get you denied? As for the trains, chances are I'll get used to it but for now I'm getting awaken like once or twice in the early morning but I'm guessing it's also because I'm still jetlagged and I have never moved out from my house until now. I'll let you know my recommendations once I'm settled in, have only visited a few places around Ikebukuro (been mostly shopping for supplies and what not and eating 7-Eleven food).

I had absolutely no troubles at all getting my COE, I'm unsure why but everything went relatively easily, I'm from Portugal so that might have helped otherwise I can't think of anything else that might have influenced it; what do they usually check when it comes to Certificate of Eligibility that could get you denied? As for the trains, chances are I'll get used to it but for now I'm getting awaken like once or twice in the early morning but I'm guessing it's also because I'm still jetlagged and I have never moved out from my house until now. I'll let you know my recommendations once I'm settled in, have only visited a few places around Ikebukuro (been mostly shopping for supplies and what not and eating 7-Eleven food).
Oh, I meant feel free to DM me directly if you want more recommendations haha, but I'll gladly take advice and recommendations back!

I'm a US citizen and everyone I've talked to has told me there's a very low chance I could get rejected considering my passport country and that I have enough funds to support myself financially, but I tend to worry about anything that takes this long when I have no control over the process. Doesn't help that I'm in the dark about the whole approval process until the office says yes or no.

As for jet lag, make sure to get tons of sunlight and eat at regular mealtimes for your new timezone. I also find showers/baths before bed really help with sleeping...as do soapland visits in the evening, of course. xD

Get a Rakuten Mobile card if you can, the speed isn’t anything to write home about but ¥3k/mo for unlimited internet is a steal

Oh, I meant feel free to DM me directly if you want more recommendations haha, but I'll gladly take advice and recommendations back!

I'm a US citizen and everyone I've talked to has told me there's a very low chance I could get rejected considering my passport country and that I have enough funds to support myself financially, but I tend to worry about anything that takes this long when I have no control over the process. Doesn't help that I'm in the dark about the whole approval process until the office says yes or no.

As for jet lag, make sure to get tons of sunlight and eat at regular mealtimes for your new timezone. I also find showers/baths before bed really help with sleeping...as do soapland visits in the evening, of course. xD
Don't stress over your COE, if you think you can get accepted, most likely you will, pretty sure only undesirables, criminals and people with not enough funds are the ones who get rejected for Student Visas, I worked freelancing for a good decade and amassed a good savings, my parents also pitched in with some additional help which really helped seal the deal. If you're confident, I'm sure it'll work out for you. I like how you think though, I'm sure considering I'm right next to Purungang and possibly other Ikebukuro places, I could get something like that if the craving really arises; I've been waking up in the middle of the night every since I got here but I assume it's just my body going "wtf where am I", it's not even the trains anymore.

Get a Rakuten Mobile card if you can, the speed isn’t anything to write home about but ¥3k/mo for unlimited internet is a steal
I got myself a GTN Mobile SIM Card, first thing I did.

Don't stress over your COE, if you think you can get accepted, most likely you will, pretty sure only undesirables, criminals and people with not enough funds are the ones who get rejected for Student Visas, I worked freelancing for a good decade and amassed a good savings, my parents also pitched in with some additional help which really helped seal the deal. If you're confident, I'm sure it'll work out for you. I like how you think though, I'm sure considering I'm right next to Purungang and possibly other Ikebukuro places, I could get something like that if the craving really arises; I've been waking up in the middle of the night every since I got here but I assume it's just my body going "wtf where am I", it's not even the trains anymore.
Gotcha, thanks for the reassurance! My financial situation isn't an issue in regards to the application, thankfully.

And yeah, the number one thing that'll help you reset your clock more quickly is getting as much sunlight as possible and forcing yourself to eat at proper times. Even if lunch is middle of the night back home for you, try and at least eat a bowl of ramen or something, resetting your body's metabolic clock is a big help. Staying out of the house definitely helps, or anything that stops the temptation of taking a midday nap. One thing to note is that going eastwards is usually more difficult for jet lag than westwards, for some reason.

Gotcha, thanks for the reassurance! My financial situation isn't an issue in regards to the application, thankfully.

And yeah, the number one thing that'll help you reset your clock more quickly is getting as much sunlight as possible and forcing yourself to eat at proper times. Even if lunch is middle of the night back home for you, try and at least eat a bowl of ramen or something, resetting your body's metabolic clock is a big help. Staying out of the house definitely helps, or anything that stops the temptation of taking a midday nap. One thing to note is that going eastwards is usually more difficult for jet lag than westwards, for some reason.
I had a really bad jetlag when I returned to Portugal and practically kept waking up in the middle of the night for a whole week but didn't have much trouble sleeping in the hotels, probably because my friends made me walk all day with them. Now's difference, being completely alone is a whole different feeling, very liberating I must say, but also comes with a lot more responsibility. It's definitely a new experience for me.

I had a really bad jetlag when I returned to Portugal and practically kept waking up in the middle of the night for a whole week but didn't have much trouble sleeping in the hotels, probably because my friends made me walk all day with them. Now's difference, being completely alone is a whole different feeling, very liberating I must say, but also comes with a lot more responsibility. It's definitely a new experience for me.
We are neighbours lol (I'm from Spain)

I also came on a student visa last year, graduated and got a job in IT.
Also first time living on my own and had those "wtf where am i" moments too in the middle of the night. You will get used to it.

We are neighbours lol (I'm from Spain)

I also came on a student visa last year, graduated and got a job in IT.
Also first time living on my own and had those "wtf where am i" moments too in the middle of the night. You will get used to it.
I want to try and find a job as an IT Technician repairing computers or otherwise diagnostics once I finish my Japanese course, I plan to apply for a part time in a computer store once I settle in and start my studies so hopefully I can get a proper job in IT as well.

I want to try and find a job as an IT Technician repairing computers or otherwise diagnostics once I finish my Japanese course, I plan to apply for a part time in a computer store once I settle in and start my studies so hopefully I can get a proper job in IT as well.
I'd love to work in a computer store hardware side, but I'm average at best with software. I'll probably end up tutoring English or, if I can't find anything else, working in a conbini part-time or something. Sadly my moving timing means I can't get my N5 certificate, which is the bottom of the barrel minimum for part-time work.

I'd love to work in a computer store hardware side, but I'm average at best with software. I'll probably end up tutoring English or, if I can't find anything else, working in a conbini part-time or something. Sadly my moving timing means I can't get my N5 certificate, which is the bottom of the barrel minimum for part-time work.
My school mentioned you need N4 for most part times, but there's probably some that accept you with N5, not exactly the best I'm sure.

My school mentioned you need N4 for most part times, but there's probably some that accept you with N5, not exactly the best I'm sure.
Yep, same from mine. For now, I'll probably hard focus on passing at least the N5 when it rolls around next summer in Tokyo, ideally N4 if I can get my crap reading and writing to manageable levels. I don't know what it is, but I've always had so much trouble with katakana, even compared to kanji...

Dishwasher probably. But I think a lot of places need manpower nowadays.