Guest viewing is limited

Medical Leave Insurance

psd

TAG Member
Reaction score
Recently I was off work for over a month for medical reasons and I won't receive my salary for that time. I'm a full time, regular employee.

I understand that I can claim an allowance from insurance for that time with some limitations. Who do I make the claim against? My regular medical insurance company? I've read several guides on this and they're kind of vague.

(Of course the correct answer is speak to HR, they will know. But I'm working remotely and our HR doesn't bother to reply to emails)

It’s called disability insurance and totally different from medical insurance. Only you and HR would know your provider and your coverage. Certainly not TAG. 😳😳😳

Who do I make the claim against?
The simplest answer is who you make the arrangement through. If I'm not mistaken, most larger firms have a contract firm that they let employees access directly.
If you set this up yourself, then you make the claim through that company that you made the arrangement with. If your company handled it and there's no external dealing by yourself, then the company is the one to handle it.
Aside from the above, I'm sure there are some weird arrangements out there, but those two are the most common that I'm aware of.

If you did this yourself through an external firm, you would/should have the documents and instructions. If not, then you'll have to wait for HR. (sadly) If HR is NOT responsive, that's a big problem...

Reactions: Simonka and psd
The simplest answer is who you make the arrangement through. If I'm not mistaken, most larger firms have a contract firm that they let employees access directly.
If you set this up yourself, then you make the claim through that company that you made the arrangement with. If your company handled it and there's no external dealing by yourself, then the company is the one to handle it.
Aside from the above, I'm sure there are some weird arrangements out there, but those two are the most common that I'm aware of.

If you did this yourself through an external firm, you would/should have the documents and instructions. If not, then you'll have to wait for HR. (sadly) If HR is NOT responsive, that's a big problem...

Thanks that was enough to get me started and find the info I needed.

I won't go into details, but I'm a local hire at a foreign company; the foreign management rely heavily on Japanese staff to do the local stuff and don't realise how shit they are.

Recently I was off work for over a month for medical reasons and I won't receive my salary for that time. I'm a full time, regular employee.

I understand that I can claim an allowance from insurance for that time with some limitations. Who do I make the claim against? My regular medical insurance company? I've read several guides on this and they're kind of vague.

(Of course the correct answer is speak to HR, they will know. But I'm working remotely and our HR doesn't bother to reply to emails)
If you were ill/injured outside of work, this is handled by your company medical insurance (shakai hoken) and your company HR has to get the ball rolling. You're covered from the 4th day of illness. Ask them about shoubyouteate (傷病手当 or しょうびょうてあて) - you'll need to provide verification from a doctor that you were unable to work for that period, and the injury or illness must be relevant to your job - a sprained knee counts for a construction worker, but not for a programmer.

If you were injured or contracted an illness AT work, then it's covered under Worker's Accident Compensation Insurance. Your company still needs to provide the paperwork for this and get the ball rolling.

Reactions: Gina