Mobile Phone And Provider

lonegaijin

ぬるぬる
Reaction score
What kind of phone do you have and what service provider?

Just recently got a 6s iPhone from au.

Reactions: Ches
I have a iPhone 6 and 6S from SoftBank and NTT, respectively.

Never have tried AU or YMobile (formerly Emobile).

Reactions: lonegaijin
I got a Sony Z1 online from So-net. The monthly charge is ¥ 1600 (not including the phone) for 2gb of data. It uses the docomo network so is pretty reliable, and as I don't watch videos, it is a good deal.
The mvno's are great value if you don't need top spec.

I have a iPhone 6 and 6S from SoftBank and NTT, respectively.

Never have tried AU or YMobile (formerly Emobile).

Oh, as to the quality....

At this point, in central Tokyo, Softbank and NTT are fairly equal on coverage. However, NTT's network seems to keep the speeds up more evenly whereas SoftBank will choke at times when it's peak traffic times. But, if one doesn't' work, the other will. Countryside has better NTT coverage from what I've experienced.

Sorry, let me correct a statement above too... I've had Emobile Pocket WiFi, but it turned out to be really terrible. I never had a phone from Emobile though...
I have tethering enabled on both phones, so I don't need a Pocket WiFi unit any longer.

If you were going to get a Pocket Wi-Fi, I'd go with one of the NTT models for about ~6k/month, which I believe is still unlimited.

Just recently got a 6s iPhone from au.

AU rocks, internet faster than wifi at home, but then again, that might be coz my wifi at home is a but slow. It is wifi, landline phone and cable all in one.

AU rocks, internet faster than wifi at home, but then again, that might be coz my wifi at home is a but slow. It is wifi, landline phone and cable all in one.

Only went with AU because I heard a lot of negative from SoftBank and don't really know anyone with docomo.

iPhone 6s Plus bought from Apple Store in abroad! Docomo's LTE

Last edited:
That's pretty standard here... a business phone and a personal phone.

Are you sure they are not a personal phone and a personal phone #2?

I have iphone 4s and 5 I think. They are not 6 for sure. I have been using softbank since they were called Jphone. So far I don't see any majoy problems so I will stick with them for a while.

Ho

How good of a provider is Docomo? I was tied between them and AU.

Hmm Its ok...maybe it's too common to have LTE here but way faster than wifi and works great even in metro. I didn't like 2years contract and a sounds of shutter button which only Korea and Japan iPhone have!

How good of a provider is Docomo? I was tied between them and AU.

If these are the two only options go with Docomo. With AU they don't just lock the phones, they lock the cards too. Meaning their SIM card is not actually even a standard one (and they use the name IC Card themselves).

When my contracts are due next I myself will switch to some MVNO.

Reactions: Yuma
When my contracts are due next I myself will switch to some MVNO.
I would definitely never go for a normal provider again. I have a Bic Camera sim. I pay about 1,500 yen per month for 3 GB data.

It's cheaper to buy an unlocked phone and then go for a sim-only provider.

Reactions: MikeH and Yuma
I would definitely never go for a normal provider again. I have a Bic Camera sim. I pay about 1,500 yen per month for 3 GB data.

It's cheaper to buy an unlocked phone and then go for a sim-only provider.

My friends does the same, Maybe I should do that too! I think I pay ¥6000 per month after my old iPhone contract...

Wow 6000¥ is a lot... I pay roughly 3800¥ for unlimited LTE a month. But I have simfree iPhone I bought from the Apple Store. It's good not being stuck to one provider.

Wow 6000¥ is a lot... I pay roughly 3800¥ for unlimited LTE a month. But I have simfree iPhone I bought from the Apple Store. It's good not being stuck to one provider.
FUCK! I pay around ¥15,000~20,000 a month because I got Docomo's iPhone 6 with an 8GB limit of mobile data :cry:

Reactions: lonegaijin and Yuma

Oh? I also use Simfree iPhone from Apple which I've got recently and I just insert my old SIM. Gotta go Docomo then :)!!

Oh? I also use Simfree iPhone from Apple which I've got recently and I just insert my old SIM. Gotta go Docomo then :)!!

With that phone you could go with any of the MVNOs that are now plentiful. The cheapest I have seen is 900 yens (plus taxes) for 3G per month (data only). Adding 700 yens per month gets you voice service also. These are all using Docomo network.

Note that these don't have any free calls; every call you make costs money. That's OK for me because I have no friends and never call to anyone :D.