Musician from Germany introduction

dieterpatrickgill

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a musician from Germany. Although I am not a full time one. :) Thank you for this wonderful forum where people share their experiences. I have never been in Japan, but I am interested to visit to introduce either my / my friend's music. I am not sure where to post questions about these kind of activities. I have researched internet about visa, music tour agents, labels etc. (can not afford one at the moment :( )
Then I found your forum / subforums which also discuss entertainment and other aspect of Japanese life.
My friend has quite a rusty basic Japanese language knowledge. (JLPT level 4 ) He almost never use it in real life. So there will be some challenges ahead.
The genre played is tropical house, trap , fusion jazz. My friend can also perform singer songwriter style.
I read that Japanese fan are not used to heavier bass more drum oriented. And the club sound system is not designed to support bass oriented music.
If you have first hand experience please kindly elaborate.
Further information is that on every given Saturday night there are 15000 artists and bands performing in 5000 venues in greater Tokyo area. Could anybody confirm this?
How about music life in areas outside greater Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka areas?
The main target audience is the local native Japanese. We are also keen to collaborate with local and gaijin artists.
Thank you in advance for your responses. Looking forward to get to know you!

Reactions: meyrin
I confirm that there is a huge number of indie bands in Japan so it's very hard to get a label especially for foreigners.
There are also a lot of live houses but you have to pay them and then try to get back on your feet by selling the tickets yourself.
I'll be in Japan from mid June and if you come this summer feel free to contact me, I will try to connect you with the musicians I know.

Hi e-smile, thank you for your response and offer to help. I am still saving money as the cost of such undertaking is quite immense. Maybe my friend can get it quicker as a solo act / semi live-DJ act together. The genre could be not so suitable for live houses (not your usual rock / alternative indie style). I will ask him to post new music here so you can have a feel about the suitable vibe and venue, but not so sure which forum. Is there any possibility to go north or south outside the standard Tokyo-Nagoya-Osaka axis? Fukuoka maybe? Best wishes from Germany

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Who is the moderator of each forum? Is there only one for the whole forums?
We do not read every single post. If you need help, click 'report' on a post or use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.

We do not read every single post. If you need help, click 'report' on a post or use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.
Dear Chris, thank you for your answer. OK I learned something useful. :) Is the restaurant bar forum or off topic more suitable to post music related thread? I will post these questions also in the contact us.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Hi e-smile, thank you for your response and offer to help. I am still saving money as the cost of such undertaking is quite immense. Maybe my friend can get it quicker as a solo act / semi live-DJ act together. The genre could be not so suitable for live houses (not your usual rock / alternative indie style). I will ask him to post new music here so you can have a feel about the suitable vibe and venue, but not so sure which forum. Is there any possibility to go north or south outside the standard Tokyo-Nagoya-Osaka axis? Fukuoka maybe? Best wishes from Germany
I have no clue about other cities, sorry.
other musicians in Japan will probably answer you better than me. Once you're there try to connect with as many of them as you can.

Reactions: dieterpatrickgill