Guest viewing is limited

Need Some Help Sorting Through Japanese Code

Tin Hat

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello TAG -- I need some help with something that's been tormenting me for the past several weeks. As I am not fluent in reading Japanese social code, I'm turning to the forum to help with interpretation.

I was in Hiroshima last month making a series of business presentations before an international group and was assigned a translator who would be working with me for two days. She was about my age (early 50s) and very attractive. We got along quite well and I could tell that something was moving forward. We are both married and she noted that her husband worked long hours as a doctor. She also went to great length to tell me about the culture of love hotels -- how she and her daughter had stayed at one and pointed them out as we were taking cabs to various meetings. When we went out to dinner - just the two of us - she sat on my side.

I didn't know if I should be making the next inevitable move, but did not want things to go wrong and have my host learn about it -- I didn't want a scene and put my company and position in jeopardy by making the wrong move - but it seemed to me that she was sending signals that she was "down to fuck."

On our last day together, I dropped her off at the train station (with a raging hard-on) -- as we were parting she asked if she could do something that was very un-Japanese - she hugged me, then was off into the station.

Shit - can someone on this forum let me know if this was for real or what - we have each other's email and she has sent me the selfies she took of us -- deleted these before my wife could see them - I don't know if I'll ever be back in Hiroshima but I've got to get to the bottom of this --

How do Japanese women let you know that they are DTF -- is there a lot of middle-age fooling around there.

Thank you, sincerely , for any feedback you can provide. TH

Reactions: hkAlone
too late now...
hugging is also not unjapanese, that would make it otherwordly...

nobody knows if anything is for real... keep the good times in mind...
even if she wanted to fuck you, what about your wife? borders change games?

50/50 -- Best bet would have to asked her out for drinking or dinner if time was possible. (somewhere near a Love Hotel, haha)

I do find the detailed explanation of love hotels kind of odd... she may have been trying to send a signal since Love Hotels are not exactly the top thing to talk about with a business traveller unless there's an ulterior motive. Hmmm.

I do find the detailed explanation of love hotels kind of odd...

True, but then I do find most Japanese who need to speak English for extended periods of time to go for totally odd directions with their subjects.

I would still go with your 50/50 and add that sometimes it's just better not to know ;).

too late now...
hugging is also not unjapanese, that would make it otherwordly...

nobody knows if anything is for real... keep the good times in mind...
even if she wanted to fuck you, what about your wife? borders change games?

Long story short, what you necessarily see with your two naked eyes might not be the actually reality. It would be a bad idea to assume that she was down for that...

I didn't want a scene and put my company and position in jeopardy by making the wrong move
I think you were wise. I've been in your position many times before and I always torture myself afterwards thinking about "what could have been", but priorities are priorities. If it's meant to happen, it will, eventually.

It seems like that she enjoyed her time with you as she was quite chatty and relax to share so many things with you.
Was she actually attracted to you? In my world it doesn't mean much. Things happen or don't happen.
French men would say "Better having regrets than remorse"... Which tells you a bit about how I would have dealt such situation. Basically if it is obsessing me, I will just do it and assume the consequences.
I completely respect your decision process and how you apprehend the consequences, etc... It all depends about how desinhibited you are on such aspects, your company tolerance to such affairs, etc... You problem now will be the harassing question : What if ... ? and potentially the bit of frustrations linked to it.

After 20 years of experience with Japanese women and lots of dates with lots of women during that time I 'm convinced that she wanted to have sex with you.
Sitting next to you was the giveaway.
I use the exact same strategy to let a girl know that I'm interested in her and it works wonders.
Plus the fact that you were just visiting... It's perfect for an affair with no tomorrow. Plus the fact that a woman who isn't interested in you would never mention anything about love hotels in fear of giving wrong signals.
Then, the hug was her way to have the body contact she couldn't fully get with you.

When she was rambling about love hotels I would have asked in a cheerful , joking tone , and with a smile "So, when do you bring me there?" . Then see how she replies.

Reactions: hkAlone
The thing with the Japanese girls is that they will give all the necessary hints for a sex session in a love hotel but if they end up regretting it afterwards they will put the blame on you and won't take a milligram of responsibility.

I would have definitely flirted a lot with her in a joking way to make sure you can explain if she was not interested. The LH topic and hugs are really hard to tell, some Japanese women have the wrong idea of what is friendly and acceptable.

Other question you need to ask if it's worth it. Say she was down and something went wrong later on, how much shit would you go through?

After 20 years of experience with Japanese women and lots of dates with lots of women during that time I 'm convinced that she wanted to have sex with you.
Sitting next to you was the giveaway.
I use the exact same strategy to let a girl know that I'm interested in her and it works wonders.
Plus the fact that you were just visiting... It's perfect for an affair with no tomorrow. Plus the fact that a woman who isn't interested in you would never mention anything about love hotels in fear of giving wrong signals.
Then, the hug was her way to have the body contact she couldn't fully get with you.
Absolutely.. might be she wanted to have sex with you, but that did not happen.. . So she might have felt to have at least a body contact, so a hug !

My best advice is never mix business and pleasure. There are plenty of other gorgeous girls you can fool around with without souring business relations. As another poster pointed out; if she regrets it after or worse, falls in love with you and as I've heard of so many times before - starts stalking you. You'll be sorry.

She sounded like she was interested but it's not worth it. Especially as in Japan cheating when married is illegal and punishable by suing you for up to 4,000,000 yen.

RUN awaaaaaay

Reactions: AliceInWonderland