New Tokyo resident, happy to have found this group!

sugoiyagi

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've recently moved to Tokyo for work and have always been interested in trying P4P and am very happy to have found this group! Thus far I've only tried two establishments (will write reviews soon), and both times had fairly underwhelming experiences, so I have a lot more research to do here!

About me - I'm a mid-30s white male, about 180cm and with a slightly muscular build. I'm fluent in Japanese: got N1 like a decade ago and have been keeping up with it since then even while living overseas. I like to think I'm decent looking, but I'm not really interested in nampa at the moment as I'm busy with work and getting adjusted to life in Tokyo (I had only lived in the inaka previously). P4P is appealing as an easy, no-strings-attached way to have some fun.

Since this is all new to me I'm starting simple with onakura and men's esthe, though I will probably venture on to other establishments once I learn more about the etiquette and how to stay safe from STDs (though I'm not sure if that's any more complicated than "wear a condomn for anything other than a HJ and get tested regularly"?).

Looking forward to reading more adventures here and sharing some of mine!

Hello all!

I've recently moved to Tokyo for work and have always been interested in trying P4P and am very happy to have found this group! Thus far I've only tried two establishments (will write reviews soon), and both times had fairly underwhelming experiences, so I have a lot more research to do here!

About me - I'm a mid-30s white male, about 180cm and with a slightly muscular build. I'm fluent in Japanese: got N1 like a decade ago and have been keeping up with it since then even while living overseas. I like to think I'm decent looking, but I'm not really interested in nampa at the moment as I'm busy with work and getting adjusted to life in Tokyo (I had only lived in the inaka previously). P4P is appealing as an easy, no-strings-attached way to have some fun.

Since this is all new to me I'm starting simple with onakura and men's esthe, though I will probably venture on to other establishments once I learn more about the etiquette and how to stay safe from STDs (though I'm not sure if that's any more complicated than "wear a condomn for anything other than a HJ and get tested regularly"?).

Looking forward to reading more adventures here and sharing some of mine!

Welcome! Just curious, since you mentioned N1 and living in "the inaka" before...were you a JET teacher?

Also, curious to know what line of work you're in that would've brought you over at this point in time and stage of Japan's timid reopening to the rest of the world. If you don't mind sharing, that is.

Happy Hunting!

Reactions: cuckhimnow
Welcome! Just curious, since you mentioned N1 and living in "the inaka" before...were you a JET teacher?

Also, curious to know what line of work you're in that would've brought you over at this point in time and stage of Japan's timid reopening to the rest of the world. If you don't mind sharing, that is.

Happy Hunting!

Yep, I was indeed with the JET program many years ago. I did that for two years before realizing that teaching is NOT for me, moved back to the states to work random jobs for a few years until I decided that learning to code would be a good idea and have been working as a software developer ever since. I’ve come back to Japan for a job in that field, which seems to be hiring foreigners pretty aggressively.

Yep, I was indeed with the JET program many years ago. I did that for two years before realizing that teaching is NOT for me, moved back to the states to work random jobs for a few years until I decided that learning to code would be a good idea and have been working as a software developer ever since. I’ve come back to Japan for a job in that field, which seems to be hiring foreigners pretty aggressively.

Well, seems you're off to a pretty good re-start, certainly better off than a lot of expats stuck in the TESL rut. Just out of curiosity, where did JET stick you?

Well, seems you're off to a pretty good re-start, certainly better off than a lot of expats stuck in the TESL rut. Just out of curiosity, where did JET stick you?

I think the job just didn't fit well with my personality type. I could see how some people would enjoy teaching at a high school or university where they have more autonomy and opportunities to build meaningful connections with the students, but I was placed at an elementary and middle school in Gifu and quickly understood the meaning of the "human tape recorder" perjorative.

Were you with JET as well?

Reactions: cuckhimnow
I was placed at an elementary and middle school in Gifu and quickly understood the meaning of the "human tape recorder" perjorative.

Were you with JET as well?

That is honestly the stuff of nightmares. I dodged the JET bullet and sold my soul to NOVA, before befriending important people and getting greased into a direct hire BOE gig at one of the prefecture's top high schools where, incidentally, one of my jobs was supervising JETs. It was fun for a while but, in the end, I went home to get a real job.

That is honestly the stuff of nightmares. I dodged the JET bullet and sold my soul to NOVA, before befriending important people and getting greased into a direct hire BOE gig at one of the prefecture's top high schools where, incidentally, one of my jobs was supervising JETs. It was fun for a while but, in the end, I went home to get a real job.

Ha, well cheers to getting out of the grind! What prefecture were you in? And are you still back "home" or did you eventually find your way back to Japan like me?

Ha, well cheers to getting out of the grind! What prefecture were you in? And are you still back "home" or did you eventually find your way back to Japan like me?

Central Osaka, six years. Met lots of Gifu escapees, naturally. Have a decent gig running a corporate division back home, just launched a new side venture and have zero desire to ever live FT in Japan again. I'm back in-country multiple times per year so it's not like I'm ever that far removed. My Japanese other half and I have discussed purchasing a condo in downtown Tokyo, and to be perfectly honest if finances allowed (meaning my venture pans out) I could see myself spending several months out of the year living in Tokyo and spending all my days getting shitfaced at Devilcraft, Yona Yona Brewery, Spa LaQua and Yodobashi, buying stuff I don't need, but I doubt that would feel rewarding for very long. That said, I refuse to be part of the hive again. As much as I enjoy coming back for a week or two at a time, there's something very comforting about being able to tell folks in Japan, "Nah, I'm a tourist." And then going home.

Reactions: sugoiyagi
Central Osaka, six years. Met lots of Gifu escapees, naturally. Have a decent gig running a corporate division back home, just launched a new side venture and have zero desire to ever live FT in Japan again. I'm back in-country multiple times per year so it's not like I'm ever that far removed. My Japanese other half and I have discussed purchasing a condo in downtown Tokyo, and to be perfectly honest if finances allowed (meaning my venture pans out) I could see myself spending several months out of the year living in Tokyo and spending all my days getting shitfaced at Devilcraft, Yona Yona Brewery, Spa LaQua and Yodobashi, buying stuff I don't need, but I doubt that would feel rewarding for very long. That said, I refuse to be part of the hive again. As much as I enjoy coming back for a week or two at a time, there's something very comforting about being able to tell folks in Japan, "Nah, I'm a tourist." And then going home.

I only previously lived FT in Japan for two years and I admit that by the end of it I was eager to get out as I felt like life there was a dead end (it probably was). I'm back on much better terms now, but I do wonder if and when I'll burn out again. Part of the reason for the move was that I got sick of my last job, so another corporate stint in a different country will probably only be interesting for so long. One thing that is appealing about Japan is that homes are way more affordable than they are back home, especially since I'm a chump who didn't buy while interest rates were low.

I think you've got the right idea starting your own venture though, that's ultimately what I'd like to explore as well. Hope it goes well for you so you can fund your debauchery, however short-lived it may be.

Reactions: Keihan
I only previously lived FT in Japan for two years and I admit that by the end of it I was eager to get out as I felt like life there was a dead end (it probably was). I'm back on much better terms now, but I do wonder if and when I'll burn out again. Part of the reason for the move was that I got sick of my last job, so another corporate stint in a different country will probably only be interesting for so long. One thing that is appealing about Japan is that homes are way more affordable than they are back home, especially since I'm a chump who didn't buy while interest rates were low.

I think you've got the right idea starting your own venture though, that's ultimately what I'd like to explore as well. Hope it goes well for you so you can fund your debauchery, however short-lived it may be.

Absolutely nothing wrong with moving on when it feels like the right time, but I think you should definitely let this current situation play out. You already know what it feels like to burn out so you'll know if/when to throw in the towel. Until then, enjoy the ride. You're still young (by TAG standards, anyway), have a decent gig, can speak the lingo and have no problem getting around. You're already in a better situation that 90% of the expats I talk to at random bar counters, meaning those still stuck in the TESL toilet. And I'm shitfaced so HAPPY THANKSGIVING, TAG!!

Reactions: MikeH and sugoiyagi
Kudos to you man, getting N1 is spoken of as befriending God or something.
And to add that learning to code and getting good enough to make a living out of it, as a new career.

I'm in high level field in my country but its hard to make a transition even if I had N1 due to different nature of work.

Thankfully, similarly I have less and less interest into my OG career so maybe I change to something else.

Right now I am working on finding a place to stay while I go through language school in Tokyo. (if anyone has a good share house or some recommendation Id appreciate it).

If this pans out Id like to meet up if you are down for it.

If you really are normal looking dude with those academic stats you should be able to squeeze nanpa in your daily life and find a f buddy or few fairly easily. And I can always use a wingman with N1 hahahah

All the best in your new start man.

Reactions: sugoiyagi
Kudos to you man, getting N1 is spoken of as befriending God or something.
And to add that learning to code and getting good enough to make a living out of it, as a new career.

I'm in high level field in my country but its hard to make a transition even if I had N1 due to different nature of work.

Thankfully, similarly I have less and less interest into my OG career so maybe I change to something else.

Right now I am working on finding a place to stay while I go through language school in Tokyo. (if anyone has a good share house or some recommendation Id appreciate it).

If this pans out Id like to meet up if you are down for it.

If you really are normal looking dude with those academic stats you should be able to squeeze nanpa in your daily life and find a f buddy or few fairly easily. And I can always use a wingman with N1 hahahah

All the best in your new start man.

Thanks for the kind words. Not wanting to feel isolated while living out in the boonies was certainly good motivation for studying Japanese.

I'm going to be away from Tokyo for most of December but feel free to send me a message when you settle. Not sure if/when I'll feel like getting into the nanpa but I wouldn't playing wingman.

Good luck to you as well.

Reactions: Barabbas