Guest viewing is limited

Power and Sexual Harassment at Japanese Companies

Guess you've never worked for an old-school Japanese company with old-school assholes in management.

Actually I have.

At one point in time working there, I was bullied by a senior office assistant, aka "otsubone-sama", in the division. She was the PA for division chief. I still don't know why but she and all office assistants under her influence ignored me completely for two days. At the end of the second day, the chief invited us all to a dinner. The otsubone-sama claimed that I had verbally offended her, and I denied the allegation. The division chief asked me to apologize. I was pretty much upset by his judgment, but bowed deeply and apologized. After this incident, however, she helped me a lot. She was fairly close to some board members and their PAs, which made "nemawashi" exercises for my projects way easier..., but yeah, this was not a harassment at all. Maybe I was just lucky in Japan.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
From what I understand the guy in the video isn't even going to get that big of a settlement in compensation. Kind of makes you wonder about the system here at times.

Just curious: how do i get hired in a company like that and how hot is the male staff?

Unfortunately, that usually only happens to the kids right out of college, but if you're into the "fresh virgin" look, you might want to start applying to some of the major companies ^^

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
It's common in old school Japanese companies

None of this sort of harassment is common in any decent company, old school Japanese or gaishikei. It is especially important for any publicly traded company to maintain a firm grip on this sort of behaviour, as lawsuits affect stock prices. Firms like mine are often hired to make certain that company practices are in line with the law.

That said, it does happen, primarily in the sort of company referred to as black kigyo. Other employees don't take action because they fear repercussions from their managers. The management in these companies commit all manner of labour abuses, and foster a culture of bullying and intimidation. In any company where these sorts of things are the norm, you'll also find excessive amounts of (unpaid) overtime, employees who are forbidden to use their vacation days, low salaries combined with a system of "fines" to help management keep employees in line, and convoluted or non-existent contracts and/or rules of employment to make sure employees don't understand the agreements.

The worst offender last year was Hikkoshisha, the moving company, with such lovely tactics as printing up employee errors as "crime" posters with their name and face, and plastering them over the walls of their various offices as well as in the company newsletter, and assigning staff who objected to the various abuses to work in a shredding center in poor safety conditions in attempts to make them resign. Taisei Construction (one of the vendors for the Olympic sites) were a strong second, with some workers putting in nearly 200 hours of overtime a month, leading to site injuries and one death due to fatigue.

The problem is that unless it crosses the line into actual criminal offenses as in the video above, the employees are generally unaware of their rights, and also unaware of the options available to them to ensure that their rights are protected.

The labour bureau operates centers around the country - including many with multilingual staff for support of foreign workers - where employees being subjected to labour abuses and harassment can report these issues and have action taken on their behalf. Power and sexual harassment cases can be further taken on by lawyers and damages claimed from the company as well as the specific individuals involved.

Years ago when I was at a different company, one holiday season there was a combination bonenkai and kangeikai for a some new entry level recruits. I couldn’t go because something came up at the last minute. Two managers in the group I managed, the new recruites and a bunch of other staff went to an izakaya and then to a Jisake bar. They all got totally smashed. One of the new recruits, a young lady, got so drunk that she passed out. When it was time to go home, this group of geniuses couldn’t revive her at all. One of them, a junior female staffer had the brains to understand that the situation wasn’t good, so she loaded the recruit into a taxi and went to the nearest emergency room. The other idiots went home. Turns out that the poor girl was on the verge of death from alcohol poisoning. The docs said she would have died in another 30 minutes without treatment. She wasn’t exactly forced to drink so much, but she was heavily coerced and in a compromised position being the new kid on the block and wanting to make a good impression. I fired both managers on Monday morning within minutes of hearing the news and I made everyone else who attended the party write a “lessons learned” statement which went on file with HR. I also ended up going out to the poor kids house in Saitama to apologize to her parents. I hate the way Japanese people behave at drunken company parties. It is at the top of the list of bad Japanese culture.

Reactions: Acid Burn and Sudsy
Years ago when I was at a different company, one holiday season there was a combination bonenkai and kangeikai for a some new entry level recruits. I couldn’t go

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, some girls who can't handle liquor should never be coerced into drinking, especially because they want to make a good impression.

There used to be this one girl in our office who could never handle herself. I heard that at her welcome party she got so drunk she began throwing up into plastic bags at the table. One of the female manager took her home and let her spend the night at her house. Another Chinese female worker we used to have also went too far to try and impress and had to have her husband drive all the way to the bar to pick her up.

I can imagine what her husband felt when he got the call. If it was me, I'd be totally mad and worried that someone might try to cope a feel or get a few kisses in while she's in such a vulnerable state.

Sometimes I really prefer the American attitude to after-work drinking -- It's my private time, so fuck you guys because I'm going home...