Question About Pronunciation (can't Find Anywhere Else)

GoldenDalton

TAG Member
Reaction score
I know this is most likely on the net, but I can't find a credible source.

Does anyone know the correct pronunciation of "Gravure" as in " Gravure Model?" Also, does anyone know what the term actually means? I know it's a sexy model. But other than that I can't find info on the etymology or pronounciation.

Don't mean to spam the board. Feel free to ignore.

It's the Japanese term for "glamor photography", sexy but not explicit, upscale (ie makeup and hair). The term glamor is probably rare these days as just about every photo of a woman in the media these days would be considered glamor photography.

Wikipedia:
"Gravure" (グラビア) is a Wasei-eigo term derived from "rotogravure", which is a type of intaglio printing process that was once a staple of newspaper photo features. The rotogravure process is still used for commercial printing of magazines, postcards, and cardboard product packaging. When translating into English, terms such as cheesecake photograph or pin-up girl are often employed.

That's interesting.

Reactions: Jimmydr
Grah-vure with the ure part sounding like you're when you say it fast like you're here (yur-here not yor-here)

Gauge models range from glamour to scantily clad, bikini, teasing etc just sort of nudity and further some even do wet tshirt where you can see quite a bit but it's still considered gravure.

I hope that helps.