Questions about Travelling in Japan (Mt. Fuji Tips and Driving as Tourist)

hibikeship

TAG Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm asking this in the right thread category.

I am currently quite bored of my life during COVID in America right now, so I'm planning for my next Japan trip that keeps getting pushed back the last several years because Japan is still tight on border control haha.

My first question is regarding travelling around Mt. Fuji. I've been to Mt. Fuji once during Cherry Blossom Season 2018, and I did a day trip around Fuji Five Lakes area. I want to go back to Mt. Fuji when I visit in Autumn [insert earliest year possible here] on a 2 day 1 night type scenario. I watched the Yuru Camp Anime, and the scenes around Mt. Fuji makes me want to spend more time there and see more places around Mt. Fuji, and I want to see what kind of places around Mt. Fuji would you recommend for a day trip.

My second question is about driving around Japan. Since America and Japan drive on different sides of the road, are there any problems/ hoops I would need to go through to be able to drive in Japan if I want to?

I'm thinking about driving around Touhoku to places that are less easily accessible by Shinkansen, but I'm not really sure it is a good idea. I would love some opinions and experiences from people who have done similar things.

Thanks!

Very accurate concern; I still mix them up form time to time. I've never had a problem with going the wrong way on a road but hey, I see Japanese drivers ignore one-way street designations ALL THE TIME. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, highways will be expensive -- I frequently drive a 250km stretch of highway which runs anywhere between 5-7,000 yen depending on the time of day. A round trip would be 10-14,000 yen. If you're paying cash, it will be a bit more expensive... no ETC discounts.

I'm thinking about driving around Touhoku to places that are less easily accessible by Shinkansen, but I'm not really sure it is a good idea. I would love some opinions and experiences from people who have done similar things.
Plan your routes well - not all gas stations are open on weekends or Sundays specifically. It's wise to always carry a good amount of cash on you, not all places in the countryside will accept credit cards. There will be road closures from time to time in various areas for various reasons.

Regarding Mt. Fuji - It looks great from a distance and from certain vantage points. One of the most popular places is right here on Route 730. I've circled Fuji more times than I'd like to admit to, there's only a handful of decent spots.

Yeah, highways will be expensive -- I frequently drive a 250km stretch of highway which runs anywhere between 5-7,000 yen depending on the time of day. A round trip would be 10-14,000 yen. If you're paying cash, it will be a bit more expensive... no ETC discounts.

Depending on how much highway driving you're doing over how many days, over which parts of the country, it may be worthwhile getting a Japan Expressway Pass, or one of the regional passes. For example, the Tohoku Expressway Pass runs anywhere from ¥4,100 for 2 days, to ¥12,200 for 14 days, plus a few hundred Yen for the ETC (Electronic Toll Collection) card. Note that you have to get the pass from the rental office where you pick up the car, and only certain offices within the coverage area sell the passes. So you can't get a Tohoku Expressway Pass from a rental office in Tokyo, for example.

Reactions: Karbon
Very accurate concern; I still mix them up form time to time. I've never had a problem with going the wrong way on a road but hey, I see Japanese drivers ignore one-way street designations ALL THE TIME. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Plan your routes well - not all gas stations are open on weekends or Sundays specifically. It's wise to always carry a good amount of cash on you, not all places in the countryside will accept credit cards. There will be road closures from time to time in various areas for various reasons.

Regarding Mt. Fuji - It looks great from a distance and from certain vantage points. One of the most popular places is right here on Route 730. I've circled Fuji more times than I'd like to admit to, there's only a handful of decent spots.

Hmm I knew there were tolls for highways and such, but that is quite pricey. Driving is more convenient in terms of schedules, but the buses from larger cities to smaller more rural tourist places are pretty frequent and reliable (pre covid)?

And that place for Mt. Fuji looks amazing! Looks like I would need to drive to get there? Any other scenic tourist areas around Mt. Fuji that isn't around the Lake Kawaguchi area? Last time I was there, I went around the lake, and went to that famous Pagoda Mt Fuji scene that is in every guide book.

Hmm I knew there were tolls for highways and such, but that is quite pricey. Driving is more convenient in terms of schedules, but the buses from larger cities to smaller more rural tourist places are pretty frequent and reliable (pre covid)?
Buses are just as reliable trains (minus traffic concerns) and have access to more local areas than trains. Last time I stopped by the big bus terminal in Shinjuku, about a month ago, the schedule board was still full and some buses were sold out. (These are distant highway buses and some local regional buses)

And that place for Mt. Fuji looks amazing! Looks like I would need to drive to get there?
Accessible by Car/Taxi -- or a very long walk from the bus stop (here) at 40min/2.8km.

Any other scenic tourist areas around Mt. Fuji that isn't around the Lake Kawaguchi area? Last time I was there, I went around the lake, and went to that famous Pagoda Mt Fuji scene that is in every guide book.
I think the best areas are around the lakes, the south/southwest side of Fuji is pretty desolate. There are some decent landscape views, but that's about it.
If the roads are open you can travel mid-way up Fuji and can walk around a bit and do a little climbing. I've attached a picture of my last trip a few months back before they closed for the season. This zone is accessed from here: https://goo.gl/maps/dzJCRmtBXazCoy4E7 (Route 152 from Route 23 direction)

fuji_2021.JPEG