Guest viewing is limited

Tips for Sugar Dating in Japan

Jaaz

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey, all. So I've been on SA setup a first date with a really pretty, friendly Japanese girl next week. We've already gotten the financials out of the way, and now it's just meeting and seeing if we want to move into the next step.

That being said, I was hoping the wise @Wwanderer and anyone else with Sugar Dating experience could share and Japan-specific general tips and advice. There are plenty of great resources and forums in English for SDs and SBs, but nothing really on the good and bad about sugar dating here. Thank you!

Nice to hear...hope it goes great for you.

Nothing terribly Japan-specific comes to mind (but I am half asleep at the moment). Could you be any more specific about what questions or issues you have in mind or feel uncertain about? When (what time of day) and for what activity (coffee, drinks, lunch, dinner...) are you meeting? What are your goals for this first meeting?

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Thank your!

Yup. Knew I should've been more specific.
  • She's early 20s and it and like she speaks decent English.
  • First meet & greet at a cafe tomorrow.
  • Lunch after if she is comfortable.
  • Dinner or drink date in the evening later in the week, again, depending on if she is okay to pursue this.
My goals are:
  • Put her at ease; communicate I'm not some crazy person.
  • Get to know her.
  • Figure out how she feels about having an SR if this first meeting goes well.
  • Move the relationship forward.
I'm not sure how to go about the last two points smoothly. Obviously getting to know her will help me temper my responses, but I'm worried about being to blunt about things. Hope that makes sense.. >_<

I apologize in advance for what I suspect will be a rather disappointing and perhaps useless response, but it is really the best I have to offer.

I can't actually think of anything I'd call tips to offer because I don't really think of sugaring in general or meeting and getting to know potential SBs as some sort of special activity or skill that requires learning techniques etc. Perhaps you want an SD whose perspective on the sugar bowl is somewhat like @Sinapse's (and other self-styled PUAs, but I mention him because he is the only active TAG PUA who offers/sells training afaik) perspective on picking up women.

Basically, when I first meet a potential SB in some social situation, it is the same as first meeting anyone else I want to get to know better (a conventional date, a professional colleague, a new neighbor, someone sitting next to me on a long flight). There are maybe four typical elements in such conversations:
1 - asking the other person general background questions about themselves and listening to the answers
2 - offering similar information about oneself, ideally in response to their questions
3 - talking about some topic of mutual interest (travel, politics, sports, movies, music...) if you can identify any such without too much effort
4 - discussing the specific context in which and/or reasons why you are meeting

Only #4 is closely tied to the sugar context obviously. On this topic I tend to be very direct and honest in a polite and respectful way...but that is just my usual style of communicating on any topic. People say it is better to be indirect with Japanese people, but I haven't found it to be a major problem to be quite direct. If they are cosmopolitan enough to date a gaijin, they are probably cosmopolitan enough to understand and accept a non-Japanese style of discussing a topic.

The sugar context also has some implications for #1 and #2 in that people often don't feel comfortable revealing their real identities at the beginning of a sugar connection, so you sometimes have to steer around topics which would be major clues in that regard.

Only one other comment on your specific situation, you said that you have already agreed on the financial sugar; it seems to me that you should also discuss the physical/intimacy and emotional sugar equally openly and freely.

Again, I'm sorry that this is probably almost no help.

-Ww

Last edited:
A further thought - Sugaring is supposed to be fun, playful and lighthearted (i.e., drama-free), so it makes sense to try to hit that sort of mood in your first meet-up imo = best not to be too serious. Lots of joking around and laughing is a good thing. But again, it depends a lot on your own natural personality and social style.

-Ww

@Wwanderer. Your entire post was very helpful! Particularly breaking down the conversation into elements, pointing out topics that may need to be avoided, and being polite but direct. You basically confirmed what I was thinking and filled in all the blanks. Thank you!

Unfortunately, she canceled on me at 2am this morning citing a fever. Hopefully I'll hear from her again, since she told me she doesn't ドタキャン people.

I echo what @Wwanderer said about being open with what you expect (phrased tactfully of course). I doubt this is a Japan specific thing, but a surprising (for me anyway) number of people on SA (and Japanese パパ活 sites) are looking for platonic-only.

Plan your activities such that they are in reasonable enough proximity to a love hotel! (Once you progress to that stage, of course.) That doesn't mean you necessarily have to meet only in Kabukicho (presumably you can afford a taxi ride!) but you don't want to have to do the whole train ordeal after dinner.