Guest viewing is limited

Tokyo Photo Op Suggestions

Jbagz

TAG Member
Reaction score
I am going to be doing some street photography in Tokyo next week and I want to capture the morning rush in a train station.

Although I have a few train stations in mind, I'd like to hear some of your suggestions.

I'm looking for a vantage point that is slightly unusual. Ideally it would be a bit elevated, a few feet above eye-level of the morning commuters. It should also be in one of the more cavernous stations.

I want lots and lots of people in the shot, so include a time suggestion too.

I've photographed Shibuya Crossing before and will probably do that again, but I want an inside location at one of the bigger stations to catch a big wave of people going to work.

I'd also welcome suggestions of any other sight you've seen and thought, "that would make a killer photo."

Thanks in advance!

There's some rooftop beer gardens that might work, although that might be too high for your purposes and they might not want you taking a bunch of pictures out there.

There's some rooftop beer gardens that might work, although that might be too high for your purposes and they might not want you taking a bunch of pictures out there.

Yes, I already have a good handle on panoramic city-scape shots.

However, I'm curious to which rooftops you are talking about. Shinjuku's skyscraper district?

If you know of a shorter building with rooftop access that stands amidst the tall buildings of West Shinjuku, that might be worth checking out.

Last edited:
Theres a beer garden on top of Shinjuku Station and one near Shimbashi station. There's also one in Ueno Park but you won't get too many crowds there.

Theres a beer garden on top of Shinjuku Station and one near Shimbashi station. There's also one in Ueno Park but you won't get too many crowds there.

Oh, for the morning rush hour shots I want to be inside one of the bigger stations with my lens about two feet above head-level. I'll probably stand on some steps or use a monopod to get my camera above head-level.

I misunderstood your rooftop suggestion. I thought you were suggesting the beer gardens as a location to shoot skyline or cityscape shots.

I'll check out the beergardens anyway, it's going to be hot so a cold beer might be nice.

Shinagawa station in the morning should do the trick.
You even have an elevated area.

Reactions: Jbagz
Shinagawa station in the morning should do the trick.
You even have an elevated area.

Thanks, Shinagawa Station wasn't on my list. I just checked out a few photos of it and it looks like the concourse area has that cavernous look that I'm after. It appears that it is a major transfer point, so my chances of catching a big wave of people might be pretty good there.