Guest viewing is limited

What is considered good salary in Japan

I used to think it was normal before coming to Japan, I was shocked to know about the prices here and in NA.

Same here. Many years ago I was in a long distance relationship with an australian girl and I considered studying in Australia so I could be with her and my jaw literally dropped when I saw the prices. I used different currency exchange calculators cause I thought they made a mistake lol! I never realized how fortunate I was living in Netherlands. I took everything for granted.

Same here. Many years ago I was in a long distance relationship with an australian girl and I considered studying in Australia so I could be with her and my jaw literally dropped when I saw the prices. I used different currency exchange calculators cause I thought they made a mistake lol! I never realized how fortunate I was living in Netherlands. I took everything for granted.
I dated a Canadian girl who had to pay a loan she took to be able to study and she told me it's a common thing there.

Yea but if you get an MBA at Wharton you are guaranteed at least a USD 200k/year job from day one and a very high probability of over 500k/yr income in a few years. US Ivy League schools, at 60k/yr, are the cheapest in the world because you pay it back in just a few years and then you are rolling in $$$$$ for the rest of your life. You just gotta get in. The only place that comes even close is the UK Oxford and Cambridge. Grads command similarly high salaries. They are cheaper but even harder to get in to. Who cares if college was free if your best job prospect is driving the Wharton guy’s limo? It’s about value, not about cost.

Last edited:
Yea but if you get an MBA at Wharton you are guaranteed at least a USD 200k/year job from day one and a very high probability of over 500k/yr income in a few years. US Ivy League schools, at 60k/yr, are the cheapest in the world because you pay it back in just a few years and then you are rolling in $$$$$ for the rest of your life. You just gotta get in. The only place that comes even close is the UK Oxford and Cambridge. Grads command similarly high salaries. They are cheaper but even harder to get in to. Who cares if college was free if your best job prospect is driving the Wharton guy’s limo? It’s about value, not about cost.

Like you say, you just gotta get in. But for the 99% of us that don't have the means or intellectual ability, then the cheaper the better.
Say you get out of Wharton with USD200-300,000 debt, then your only option is take that high paying (and equally high pressure) job. And even with your USD 200,000 job, you are still looking at a min of 7-8 years of repayments. Fuck that. I'd much rather be the limo driver, work on a start up on the side.

I got out of Uni back in the early 90s with a Arts Degree (useful for fuck all I know) and about US$2000 debt which was paid off in a year. I was lucky as the system in place at the time not only had low fees but I got a govt allowance that covered living expenses. The scheme was abolished the year I graduated.
A friend graduated from the same Uni about 6 years later and had about US$30,000 debt, which she was still paying off in her early 40s. It was a constant source of stress.

I have 2 kids in University in Japan at the moment. Luckily both are in public universities and cost me about 600,000yen each per year in fees, then I take care of some of their living expenses. Both work 2 part time jobs to cover some of their expenses.
But at the end of the day, both will come out of University debt free and able to pretty much do whatever they want to do with their lives. Personally I want them to travel extensively first before taking a "real" job.
For me, as a parent, this is probably the greatest gift I can give them.

Yep. We agree. The point is that if you can get into one of the top 20 US schools, from a purely financial POV, you should go. It’s a good investment.

I'm 1 year out of college making the equivalent of 13.2m JPY in a low cost of living city in US. Everytime I think about moving to Japan I realize I can't take my salary with me. I've heard my company will open an office in Asia soon, but it's more likely to be HK or singapore rather than Japan...at least I'll be closer!

Can confirm. Not much room for negotiation in most companies after you're hired.

This is not always true. Retention sometimes comes at a cost. Personally, I went to give my notice at my company and they put down another 23% in salary, and made it retroactive that year going back 9 months. I would not have believed it if it didn’t happen.

I’m still with that company today. I guess it worked.