Guest viewing is limited

Work And Work And Work

vondoom

darkness forever!!
Reaction score
so this is no "i must live in japan" thread, i just would like to hear a few opinions and maybe advises...

i recently found a new job, that should have started with baito and turn into full time employment, when my other job(s) are finshed... now one of my other jobs is finished and i could work full time, but today boss told me they see if i could be working 4 days a week from now on (moneywise no problem, so its not extremely urgent)...

that happens to me all the time and i wonder, how (and if) it is possible to find a decent company, because to be honest, im lacking stability and security and that is getting tiresome...

my main problems are:

1. i dont know where to look for jobs... sure, i got lots of websites where i can look for jobs, but i usually dont get any answers, or get declined... this time it took me 9 months to find a new job and during that period i had maybe 20 interviews (from close to 1000 applications), few of them with recruiters...

2. i wonder if i can just work wherever i want to, or if im limited because of my visa... right now im working in fashion and as far as i know i can only work in fashion, but nobody ever confirmed or denied that...

3. many companies require customer service, thats close to impossible for me...

so i would like to stay in fashion, if i find a decent conpany, otherwise i might do something else, if possible...
my resume and my japanese are both allright, though... japanese is not perfect, but ive ever only worked in japanese companies, without any issues...
my visa is valid until 2018, so thats also no issue at the moment...

i just want to act as fast as possible, so i try to get a few opinions fast... my friends here are more or less useless for that, since they dont know anything about fashion jobs or foreigner problems (because they are no foreigners)...

thank you in advance!

I'll put a short answer to part of your post...

Regarding your visa, you can have it changed to whatever industry you need it to be in as long as you have a sponsor to do so. Having watched first-hand, this is possible as long as you have a degree and have the application written in a supportive way (with your employer's support) to change the visa status. The only trick is finding a company that is willing to go through the whole sponsoring process..... unless you're self-sponsoring, which is possible after a number of years in Japan. There are a few people that have documented this in blogs and other various media outlets (YoutTube, etc.).

You're asking about fashion, which I have zero knowledge about... I don't even know where to start. I have one friend of a friend that coordinates models for a photography studio and that's as close to the fashion industry that I can get.

To be realistic - you may need to consider switching careers to get something more stable. Or, at the very least, develop some secondary skills that you can use to self-start your own projects and potentially independently generate some income.

Personally, I would do whatever takes to establish that stability and security. In the meantime, build up a savings parachute for when you need it to survive

thank you for your reply!

that is exactly what im doing, so at least im on the right path... im always working on my skillset, working 7 days a week (since january) also has one advantage, it gives you more experience...

another thing im working on (besides japanese, which i try to improve every day) are computer skills, since they are neccessary... only problem is i cant afford the programms, so free ones must do... of course the ones that are commonly used cost a fortune...

the paracute is also difficult, i just dont earn much, i bet most of you wouldnt consider lifting a finger for that amount... savings have all been used up during my first three years, its been a lot and all is gone^^

the visa problem is: i dont have any degree (専門学校 only and that doesnt help much, unless its been a japanese one, as far as i know)...

i got my working visa and extension, though, but that is because if experience (basic rule is degree, or ten years experience) so i think it is not possible to change careers unless i had permanent residence, or spouse visa... self support requires contracts (that is something that would be doable, maybe) and opening your own company is extremely expensive, if i remember it right?

skills to realise my own projects are no issue either, there are no customers, yet (i actually try to do something like that)...

i also dont even doubt that i can find jobs, but im afraid it is never stable, which always makes me worry about another visa extension...

anyway, its not like id be loosing my jobs anytime soon, so i got a bit more time this time, but one day id like to sleep soundly... guess i need better connections...

My advice would be to enhance your employment opportunities by pursuing a university degree in something that interests you.
Do a bit of research and find out what's in demand and will pay you in the style you wish to live . I am assuming that you must stay in Japan, so online degree may be an option. See this article from The New Your Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/08/u...online-degrees-are-seen-as-official.html?_r=0

I'm not sure of your country, but you might check if similar programs exist there.

Do a Google search for possibilities. Here are a few schools in the USA that are reputable and offer a variety of degrees:

https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates

http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/

Reactions: Colonel Angus
good idea, thank you! as of now, i cant afford any tuition fees... first i need to find out if they accept online degress in japan... then its up to decide what to study... job related (which i would like to), thats is probably not possible... or something that helps me get a better job...
guess i just had bad luck so far..

thank you again!

Thank you for your idea,it help me a lot.When I go to Japan ,I knowledge how to do and care about other things.