Guest viewing is limited

Worried about being lonely on New Years

StillCouldBeWorse

TAG Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much sums up my concerns, I normally sleep through new year's, but given that I'm nowhere near home, I'm going to try and go out.

However, as I'm not a social butterfly or even just a social guy, I'm fearing being lonely as the clock strikes midnight and everyone celebrates with their friends and companions while I'm twiddling my thumbs as an outsider looking in.

So the question I put to the brains trust, do I try and go out tomorrow night, and if so what do I do to try and enjoy myself without feeling like a lonely loser.

A rare wholesome bit of advice. Go your nearest large-ish temple or shrine. Most of them are handing out free booze, and your whole neighbourhood will be there. Worst case, you get a neat cultural event.

Just look for shrines and temples on Google maps.

Yeah, I will also go to a shrine/temple alone. Get something to eat from the street vendors and use the evening to relax and for some introspection.

Here in Japan most people don't celebrate drunk in party mode, so it doesn't feel like you are missing out.

I'll be doing exactly what the others suggested. I'm in Nakano right now, don't drink and just want to cap the year off quietly. It's been quite eventful and not what I expected.

I hear Meiji Jingu is packed every year but the people who did go there say it was a great experience and still worth it. Keen on going to a weeby one but then I'd have to take the walk from all the way over there to Nakano...but maybe that's not even that bad.

I've spent many a Christmas and New Years alone when I was younger. I used to spend some of them in places like Waffle House or IHOP because they were open 24/7 365. Only the hard working older ladies usually work those holiday shifts because they need the money. I would eat alone and leave a fat tip. Nothing is more rewarding that doing something for someone else who might also be lonely on a holiday. By making their day, you will probably also appreciate yours more.