Zima Is Alive And Well In Japan

SugoiBoy

TAG Member
Reaction score
When I moved to Japan I was amused to see Zima being served in many of the bars. Zima was popular in the states back in the '90s with chicks who didn't care for beer.

Any theories as to why Zima is still sold in Japan despite it being no longer available in the USA?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 202
Zima is really popular with some of the younger crowds, I've been with some girls that really prefer it.

I did not know it was stopped in the states. I do remember when it came out and it was very popular at the time and for many years after...

It's still popular enough here that I see it at most convenience stores.

Edit: Wow, 2008 was the end in the U.S? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zima_(drink) -- That shows you how much I pay attention to drinks, lol... mainly because I really don't drink!

Japan's got a pretty robust palette of alcoholic sodas (chu-hai) that you don't really see so much in the US.
When I've been back in the US it seems like microbrew/craft beer is much, much bigger than in Japan and overall mass produced beer/booze is kind of on the downswing.
Something as "artificial" as Zima would probably have an uphill battle to fight if it wanted to stay popular there.

In Japan, however, it seems like its often sold as an upmarket chu-hai. If you see chu-hai for sale at a bar (super rare) or live house (sometimes) its usually the mark of a really cheap establishment.
I've seen Zima pushed heavily at lots of bars/live houses that have a slightly more upscale image but also focus a lot on volume - the kind of places where they sell Heineken in a can for 700 yen.

Japan's got a pretty robust palette of alcoholic sodas (chu-hai) that you don't really see so much in the US.
When I've been back in the US it seems like microbrew/craft beer is much, much bigger than in Japan and overall mass produced beer/booze is kind of on the downswing.
Something as "artificial" as Zima would probably have an uphill battle to fight if it wanted to stay popular there.

In Japan, however, it seems like its often sold as an upmarket chu-hai. If you see chu-hai for sale at a bar (super rare) or live house (sometimes) its usually the mark of a really cheap establishment.
I've seen Zima pushed heavily at lots of bars/live houses that have a slightly more upscale image but also focus a lot on volume - the kind of places where they sell Heineken in a can for 700 yen.

The US has stuff like hard cider and hard lemonade. I think Zima's problem in the US is that there's very little taste to it. It's like slightly alcoholic watered down Sprite. I'd say the Japanese taste can be a little more subtle, so Zima might thrive a little more. And yes, being a foreign brand probably helps too.