10,000Yen budget!

Unpretei would be my tip if you must.
Cheap and you can add a few options and still stay under 10k. The premium girls are almost all young and attractive.

Honestly though what kind of job do you have where you are 30 years old and consider the Hub to be expensive?

My bigger picture advice? Take 70k from your next paycheck and go to a high end soapland. Motivate yourself to earn more money.

English teacher, and yeah I should be aiming for a higher wage. But am I the only one thinking that just under 1,000yen a pint is crazy! And this shouldn't depend on where you're from or how much you earn, but that's a lot for a pint! I know we are (for me, nearish) in tokyo but it's just water and alcohol! If the HUB was anywhere near an accurate rendition of the way a British pub looks or works then I'd excuse it, but it's light years off. That's my long way of saying its overpriced....

Reactions: Durg50
That's my long way of saying its overpriced....

Well, in Hub's case it can be both cheap and overpriced at the same time... Some of the hip places charge you more than 2.000 yens for a pint and that I consider to be expensive, Hub doesn't get even close.

Reactions: MissInsomnia
But am I the only one thinking that just under 1,000yen a pint is crazy!

Drink the local lager instead of the imports. Or switch to highballs. Or revert to broke student days, get a bourbon and coke, and top up with a flask from your pocket if you're that skint. :)

Reactions: MissInsomnia
Mike, I think you're my new hero! This guy has had a go at me for just wanting a cheap, get my rocks off, fun time on a budget, and then tried to discredit my need because i don't want to have a 'social interaction' with them or ' trying to have a relationship with one'

Then goes on to bloat about fucking women during 'language exchanges'. It's quite clear your attempts were to fuck those people, not 'trying to have a relationship' or even 'social interaction'!. At least I'm honest in my attempts to get laid. You can't judge me for being happier to fork out 10k for a good time and doing the shady stuff you do! I still think you're pretty cool though if you're stories are real!

I never said I was an angel.

A large number of Japanese women hate Japanese men for various reasons. Moreover, they have limited opportunities to meet western (especially white) guys. You need to find a way of meeting these women.

Spend the 10,000 yen on a reasonable pair of shoes. Women are always scoping out shoes in the same way men scope out tits and asses.

I never said I was an angel.

A large number of Japanese women hate Japanese men for various reasons. Moreover, they have limited opportunities to meet western (especially white) guys. You need to find a way of meeting these women.

Spend the 10,000 yen on a reasonable pair of shoes. Women are always scoping out shoes in the same way men scope out tits and asses.

I'm now trying to imagine what these women look like that are impressed by 10k shoes. Its not pretty.
Bringing back memories of waking up next to gas panic / language exchange girls in the early 2000's.

Reactions: warubuta and Sudsy
English teacher, and yeah I should be aiming for a higher wage. But am I the only one thinking that just under 1,000yen a pint is crazy! And this shouldn't depend on where you're from or how much you earn, but that's a lot for a pint! I know we are (for me, nearish) in tokyo but it's just water and alcohol! If the HUB was anywhere near an accurate rendition of the way a British pub looks or works then I'd excuse it, but it's light years off. That's my long way of saying its overpriced....
A 1000 yen for a pint (500ml) of good ale is not really that overpriced in the major city centers around the world. That is what it costs. You need to get paid more. Or you need to go to live in some minor city where it is only 800yen but the losers there still complain that it is too expensive. The point is, that if you are 30 years old and the cost of booze and women is anything more than a rounding error in your personal finances, you need to figure out how to make more money. As you are an English teacher, that would entail reskilling and career change.

I'm now trying to imagine what these women look like that are impressed by 10k shoes. Its not pretty.
l

A pair of Stan Smith’s is 10,000 yen. The point is a lot of mongers look like hobos because they spend all their money on paid sexual encounters instead of looking after the basics like clothes and footwear.

A nice new pair of sneakers makes a much better impression than the scuffed up specimens that a lot of gaijins wear in Tokyo.

Reactions: Durg50
A pair of Stan Smith’s is 10,000 yen. The point is a lot of mongers look like hobos because they spend all their money on paid sexual encounters instead of looking after the basics like clothes and footwear.

A nice new pair of sneakers makes a much better impression than the scuffed up specimens that a lot of gaijins wear in Tokyo.
Sneakers are for sports only, otherwise you will give yourself away as an American from a town nobody has ever heard of. There are only two exceptions to this rule: Stan Smiths and NB 1400. If you persist in wearing short pants, the only acceptable shoes are the above two, loafers or driving shoes. Please, please, please no socks .

- Prices are (almost entirely) controlled by market forces, not by the cost of producing/providing the good/service nor by what strikes someone as its "true/real/absolute value" or a "fair price".

- In Tokyo and other major Japanese cities, the cost of many things is dominated or greatly elevated by rents (the cost of the space used), not by the cost of the producing the goods or of providing the service.

- Thinking something is overpriced and/or complaining about it does not change the price and is thus a waste of time and energy, which could be better spent finding a way to make more money, sleeping, scratching oneself or in pretty nearly any pleasant or productive way. (I infer that some find it pleasant to complain, sort of like complaining about the weather.)

The first and last of these three points applies equally to the price of p4p, though many mongers (on TAG and elsewhere) seem to have trouble grasping these facts however often they encounter them.

-Ww

Last edited:
- Prices are (almost entirely) controlled by market forces, not by the cost of producing/providing the good/service nor by what strikes someone as its
value or a "fair price".

- In Tokyo and other major Japanese cities, the cost of many things is dominated or greatly elevated by rents (the cost of the space used), not by the
cost of the producing the goods or of providing the service.

- Thinking something is overpriced and/or complaining about it does not change the price and is thus a waste of time and energy, which could be better
spent finding a way to make more money, sleeping, scratching oneself or in pretty nearly any pleasant or productive way. (I infer that some find it
pleasant to complain, sort of like complaining about the weather.)

The first and last of these three points applies equally to the price of p4p, though many mongers (on TAG and elsewhere) seem to have trouble grasping these facts however often they encounter them.

-Ww

... and here we go again

- Prices are (almost entirely) controlled by market forces, not by the cost of producing/providing the good/service nor by what strikes someone as its value or a "fair price".

- In Tokyo and other major Japanese cities, the cost of many things is dominated or greatly elevated by rents (the cost of the space used), not by the cost of the producing the goods or of providing the service.

- Thinking something is overpriced and/or complaining about it does not change the price and is thus a waste of time and energy, which could be better spent finding a way to make more money, sleeping, scratching oneself or in pretty nearly any pleasant or productive way. (I infer that some find it pleasant to complain, sort of like complaining about the weather.)

-Ww
As boringly correct as you are, there is a huge variation in the fees charged and successfully garnered by SPs providing nearly identical services. My informal data shows delivery health services ranging from 20 to 60k. The best explanation for this is that some market participants have very poor information due mainly to language barriers. These idiots overpay and drive up the price for everyone else. So to complain about this is perfectly understandable in my opinion. Not that it achieves anything.

Drink the local lager instead of the imports. Or switch to highballs. Or revert to broke student days, get a bourbon and coke, and top up with a flask from your pocket if you're that skint. :)
The good local lagers, Kirin Classic and Premium Malts, are in the same league as the best German or Czech lagers anyway. And cheaper too even with the high taxes.

Reactions: Sudsy
As boringly correct as you are, there is a huge variation in the fees charged and successfully garnered by SPs providing nearly identical services. My informal data shows delivery health services ranging from 20 to 60k. The best explanation for this is that some market participants have very poor information due mainly to language barriers. These idiots overpay and drive up the price for everyone else. So to complain about this is perfectly understandable in my opinion. Not that it achieves anything.

Another explanation is that p4p consumers (i.e., mongers) have VERY different perceptions of "nearly identical services". Some guys hardly see a difference between SPs as long as they get to pump away in a wet or lubricated vagina until they pop whereas others care A LOT about all sorts of subtle and detailed aspects of the encounter and their p4p partner. The usual analogy is two restaurants; what a serious foodie would see as vastly different meals, another person would see as nearly equivalent simply because both filled his/her belly. The connoisseurs are willing to pay much more, in both cases, for seriously high quality experiences.

This applies to beers, wine, liquors etc as well.

(One reason to think the above explanation is more significant than the one you mention is that p4p prices tend to span a huge range even where language barriers are not a significant factor.)

-Ww

Another explanation is that p4p consumers (i.e., mongers) have VERY different perceptions of "nearly identical services". Some guys hardly see a difference between SPs as long as they get to pump away in a wet or lubricated vagina until they pop whereas others care A LOT about all sorts of subtle and detailed aspects of the encounter and their p4p partner. The usual analogy is two restaurants; what a serious foodie would see as vastly different meals, another person would see as nearly equivalent simply because both filled his/her belly. The connoisseurs are willing to pay much more, in both cases, for seriously high quality experiences.

(One reason to think the above explanation is more significant than the one you mention is that p4p prices tend to span a huge range even where language barriers are not a significant factor.)

-Ww
An alternative less plausible explanation doesn’t constitute a refutation. Just so that’s understood....

-Ww

the analogy works well.
The best food in Japan is at word of mouth restaurants, fairly exclusive but fairly priced, the places will often require you to speak Japanese to make a reservation and / or to feel welcome. People tend to keep these places to themselves.

Then you have expats that will spend 50-100k on average (but not bad, just overpriced) teppanyaki or sushi in Roppongi hills because the restaurant has an English website. They then go home or go online and tell everyone what an amazing time they had an that that is the best sushi / teppanyaki available to anyone in Tokyo.

Reactions: Wwanderer
An alternative less plausible explanation doesn’t constitute a refutation.

Especially it doesn't refute the fact there are people who are happy to take advantage on the lack of knowledge and language ability of the fresh from boat crew.

Not that I have too much against it. Openly charging a higher price does not constitute a crime, rather it is a crime to let the fool keep their monies.

Reactions: Wwanderer
the analogy works well.
The best food in Japan is at word of mouth restaurants, fairly exclusive but fairly priced, the places will often require you to speak Japanese to make a reservation and / or to feel welcome. People tend to keep these places to themselves.

Then you have expats that will spend 50-100k on average (but not bad, just overpriced) teppanyaki or sushi in Roppongi hills because the restaurant has an English website. They then go home or go online and tell everyone what an amazing time they had an that that is the best sushi / teppanyaki available to anyone in Tokyo.
The food will be very different in quality, true. But the basic operating costs to the restaurant will be ‘nearly indentical’

Especially it doesn't refute the fact there are people who are happy to take advantage on the lack of knowledge and language ability of the fresh from boat crew.

Not that I have too much against it. Openly charging a higher price does not constitute a crime, rather it is a crime to let the fool keep their monies.
Yes. And the whole discussion started with a lament re the high price of P4P. Someone said it had to do with market forces and high rent. I posit that it has more to do with inefficient information flow. Lack of knowledge and the fresh off the boat syndrome is another way to put it.

Reactions: Frenchy
Sneakers are for sports only, otherwise you will give yourself away as an American from a town nobody has ever heard of. There are only two exceptions to this rule: Stan Smiths and NB 1400. If you persist in wearing short pants, the only acceptable shoes are the above two, loafers or driving shoes. Please, please, please no socks .

The OP is 30 years younger than you. Different strokes for different folks etc...

the analogy works well.

Precisely so.

Your first paragraph makes my mouth water with thoughts of my favorite such place where I've been a regular and devoted customer for over 15 years now and where I've had some of the very best meals of my life for something like ¥10,000/person plus alcohol. It far exceeds places that cost several times more. I resist the urge to rave on about it since I'm not about to post the info, but I've taken a few TAGers there over the years, so some know.

-Ww

The food will be very different in quality, true. But the basic operating costs to the restaurant will be ‘nearly indentical’

Not the rent if the high priced place is in Roppongi Hills and the unpretentious and reasonably priced hidden gem place is in some more downscale and ordinary neighborhood.

(I believe we are now fully into thread drift mode in this thread.)

-Ww

Not the rent if the high priced place is in Roppongi Hills and the unpretentious and reasonably priced hidden gem place is in some more downscale and ordinary neighborhood.

(I believe we are now fully into thread drift mode in this thread.)

-Ww
Actually the rents these shops pay are all over the place regardless of location. The landlords are often in deep debt, and often rents are much, much higher for mizushobai tenents than other kinds of tenants. Shady to say the least. Anyway, indies pay no rent as part of operating costs yet their pricing is highly variant. The other point to make is that differences in service is limited in relavance to only the segment of the consumers who actually repeat patronage. I think that is only a small percentage. Most guys end up with someone different most of the time, I would imagine. Yes drifting far from the shore.

A 1000 yen for a pint (500ml) of good ale is not really that overpriced in the major city centers around the world. That is what it costs. You need to get paid more. Or you need to go to live in some minor city where it is only 800yen but the losers there still complain that it is too expensive. The point is, that if you are 30 years old and the cost of booze and women is anything more than a rounding error in your personal finances, you need to figure out how to make more money. As you are an English teacher, that would entail reskilling and career change.
I know English teachers that do OK financially. They are smart and work hard and skill-up and get the best jobs. Freelance and win business English contracts at Sony or Panasonic etc, get roles at Universities. They take in over 10 million a year which I know you would still class as 'loser' territory financially but a lot of people would be happy with that.

Reactions: warubuta